For the last two nights we have had heavy rain with thunder and lightening, my son captured the lightening on camera.
This week I had hubby's help at the allotment, we put160 litres of compost (peat free) on top of the manure on 1/4 of the plot, we are experimenting with the no dig method on this 1/4 (although I think the soil beneath is too compacted to be successful, other plot holders are adamant it works). Then we planted up brussel sprout and spinach that were 75% off at the local garden centre. We won't be able to plant much from seed this yet as too late in the year.
My lovely neighbour recently gave me some plastic piping which can be shaped to make a veggie tunnel so I could use netting to protect my seedlings from butterflies and birds.
Potatoes are just breaking through and I added some garlic (grown on the windowsill at home to start them off).
The gladioli I inherited have moved next to the composter.
![]() |
| red onions planted |
We are off to Malta at the end of the week. This is what I am packing:
We will mostly be taking ferries, walking and exploring. although our hotel has a pool and we might venture to some nice beaches on local transport. We used trip advisor to get suggestions and advice from previous travellers who have been invaluable (detail right down to cost of tickets on the ferries and buses).
Youngest son will be taking care of things at home/Mollie and starts a new job while we are away (a local electrical firm, in their warehouse) and oldest son will be in Poland. We will all have plenty to talk about on our return.
Thanks for visiting - back soon!


Your allotment is looking very different now, I think you must have put a lot of hours in. Hope you have a lovely holiday, I believe Malta is very attractive.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great shot your captured dead Betty.
ReplyDeleteSo sweet of your neighbor to gift you handy thing for gardening which sounds going well with lots of improvements.
Heartfelt best wishes for the trip. I think without using local transport one can hardly taste the true flavor of any place :)
Mind blowing capture of the lightening!
ReplyDeleteThe allotment looks good, and with your hubby's help, things will go smoothly.
Malta is a terrific tourist attraction! wishing you safe travels and great enjoyment!
Great progress on the allotment Betty ... I think its a great idea to cover those vege as the birds & the white butterflies love those. I hope your trip to Malta goes wonderfully ... sounds perfect to me!
ReplyDeleteGreat forked lightening shot. You've made great strides with the allotment, glad you got some help with it. Lucky ducks going on hols again. Malta is a beautiful island. xxx
ReplyDeleteThat's a fantastic capture of the storm!
ReplyDeleteYou deserve a holiday after all the work you've put into your allotment. Thanks for the sneaky peep at your travel wardrobe. Have a brilliant time in Malta and enjoy Valletta, one of the most beautiful cities in the world! I haven't sorted out my packing yet - four days and counting!
See you on the other side! xxx
Enjoy your trip. Cool photo of lightening
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
Great photograph of the lightening.
ReplyDeleteYou've done a lot of work in the allotment, so it's definitely time to go to Malta and enjoy a break.
Safe travels.
All the best Jan
Hello Betty, amazing for your son to capture the lightening on camera! There's been plenty of rain here and my lawn has turned green again. What fab work you have been doing on your allotment. The vege tunnel is great. I do no dig (but I do fork lift any compacted areas first, just to get the air in) - more time for tea drinking that way. I thought that was Judith Chalmer's suitcase for a moment then, before you said it was yours ;) x
ReplyDeleteOoh, I love having a look at your allotment! The lightning photo is brilliant!!
ReplyDeleteHello and it was a lovely surprise to see your kind comment ever on my blog . So I just had to come over and see your allotment plot . I do love to see what other folk are growing πΏπππ. It is a nice friendly community !
ReplyDelete