Sunday, 18 September 2022

This past week




Whilst on holiday in Malta we heard the sad news our Queen had died immediately on tv and frequently watched updates as the Nation mourned.  We saw King Charles 3rd take on the role of Monarch and heard his first speech to us all.   Like many others, we have felt sad and emotional at times.



Back at home we have continued to watch the news coverage as the Queen lies in state.  

We have also been in the garden a lot, it has recovered incredibly well from the UK heatwave of a few weeks ago. The sunflower seed heads are drying to feed the birds in the Winter.  There were so many tomatoes, I am ripening some  on the fence as its got cooler the last few days.



My lemon trees have produced so much fruit!

Whilst we were away the allotment flourished - I will be up there on my days off weeding and watering.

Malta is quite beautiful, although we found it too hot for much sightseeing at around 90f and used a little motorised 8 seater guided tour on our day trip to Valetta as the streets are steep, narrow and hot!






We stayed in Sliema and took the ferry to Valetta.    The Baroque  style city of Valetta was originally built by the Knights Hospitaller in 16th Century.  It was intended as a fortress with streets built on a grid system, the earliest buildings were designed by the Italian architect Lucca.   In the 17th century balconies became popular/were added and many of the streets feature these beautiful, brightly painted, wooden balconies with sculptures and decorations on the support posts.   Valetta is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  The beautiful old, balconied, houses are still lived in today.   Houseowners who keep and maintain the balconies are rewarded by the Government.  ( Valletta - Wikipedia)



Sliema was originally a small fishing village,  increasing in size in the 18th century with more of those fabulous balconied houses seen in Valetta.  The name Sliema means Peace/Comfort.  there are churches here in abundance.  The harbour is particularly pretty at night when the lights are on and the boats are bobbing on the waterfront.  The beach is rocky although at St Julians Bay further along there is a small sandy beach.


We stayed at the AX Victoria hotel, Sliema, and were upgraded to a huge room in their sister hotel, The Palace with an endless balcony and views of rooftops stretching to the sea and a lovely pool and sunbed area.  The hotel arranged  for our half board buffet dinners to upgrade and transfer to their Asian restaurant, Temptasion,  the food was fabulous (we mostly ate vegetarian Indian meals such as curried chick peas, tofu and vegetable curry, samosas).  We were very lucky the hotel was not at full capacity and they generously offered these upgrades as goodwill.


Lunches were mostly french bread, cheese, ripe vine tomatoes and olives purchased at the nearby supermarket and eaten on our lovely long balcony.

Cocktails were a regular feature in the afternoons when there was a happy hour!

We had a lovely time but are glad to be home.

16 comments:

  1. Great post. I love that you are growing lemons. Wonderful photos especially of you. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks a fascinating place

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sad to hear about the Queen's passing. What an extraordinary life she led. Glad you are home safe and sound. I know so little about Malta so it was fun getting acquainted with it through your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those balconied apartments. If only British architecture had followed suit instead of putting people in those awful, anti-social high rises dotted around the country. Looks like cocktail hour was indeed happy! Glad you're home safe and well. I wonder what we'll do on Tuesday with no royal programmes to watch? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always thought Malta would be a lovely place to visit. So glad you had a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pleased you had a lovely time.
    I enjoyed seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. How happy & relaxed & tanned you look Betty. How wonderful that the Hotel upgraded you!! Yes I felt so sad to read about our dear Queens passing ... what a lady of dignity & grace she was. Her funeral will be on our TV tonight but very late so I will catch up with it tomorrow. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Owww you lucky woman….Malta !!πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€…I have watch the service this afternoon….so beautiful…emotional….but I am glad I watch…she was a lovely lady your queen…..love happy week from me Ria and Leaf πŸ€πŸΎπŸ’—πŸ€

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched the funeral all day yesterday. It was sad but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pictures. To be out at 90 deg is a bit harsh. Would love to see Sliema especially when we know that it was a fishing village.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look fabulous, Betty! I love your holiday wardrobe.
    It's wonderful to see beautiful Malta again, I think it's high time we revisited. Valletta is so atmospheric. I've never been in the Summer, always off season. My brother's going next week - he would have bought a place there if it hadn't been for Brexit!
    How lovely to be upgraded in that fancy hotel. The food looks great.
    We got back home just in time to watch the England - Germany match on Monday night, it seemed very strange to hear the team singing God Save the King! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello holiday Betty, I am super impressed with your lemons! Interesting to hear of Sliema's balconies, and very fine they look too. The food and cocktails sound fab. I was very moved by the Queen's funeral xXx

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOooh, your lemon tree is SO healthy! I wish ours was. We've had no lemons at all this year or last. My husband asked for help for it on GQT earlier in the year and got told off for it!
    Malta sounds beautiful and I am envious that you got to eat in the Temptasian restaurant which is totally up my street! I think I'd like to visit if I can get myself past my unease at booking a flight.
    Glad you had a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I find it also very sad the queen passed. Glad you enjoy your self
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Malta sounds great place with old fashioned houses. How nice that government reward for keep balconies decorated.
    Loved the photos of balconied houses.
    Same happened to us in Kashmir when due to less drowsy season hotel owner upgraded us to their best place close to the Neelam river. I feel you like Asian food more :)
    You look awesome in gorgeous dress !Such a stunning colour and print .
    Your lemon are amazing wow
    Glad your garden was out of heat effect and did well when you were away. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the info on Malta; never been there. It sounds interesting and beautiful.
    Glad about your success with the garden at your allotment.
    You look great in the pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.