Sunday, 28 August 2022

This week

We recently saw a TV coverage of an Indian restaurant - Manju, Brighton, and decided to visit.  This is a tiny 20 cover Indian restaurant in The Lanes, Brighton, run by Manju, an 85 year old who worked in a factory her entire life until her sons gave her the premises to fulfil her dream and create Gujarati cuisine.  





Her food, prepared with the help of one chef, is made from scratch, fresh to the table.  The wait between courses can be long or not depending on what you are having but with the intention that each plate is savored and your palate rests between courses.  The chutneys also are hand made on the premises, one having 32 ingredients!  In fact, one of her sons proudly told us the only thing not made by them is the ice cream and popadoms.

This was a special place and we will be returning.  They have plans to make a book but not to expand or change what they have created, a personal, friendly experience  for small numbers, to enjoy Indian food at its best.



above: lentil dahl, yoghurt dip and pickled vegetables



above: paneer chilli



above: smashed samosas




above: home made chutney selection






above: rest room facilities, clean and fresh
(I always like to check)



above: those delicious smashed samosa were worth a second picture!

On the walk up to get the train I passed a garden I often pass and look at longingly as it is full of hydrangea flowers.  Recently the house changed hands and the owner was cutting down all those lovely flowers, so I asked if I could pick a few up on my return.  She was very kind and I later found 13 blooms waiting for me.  I will dry them to make my Winter wreaths.  Aren't they beautiful! 
No pictures of Brighton this time as it was heaving with fans coming for the football and we spent a fair amount of the day in the pub chatting to interesting random  people and I forgot to take any pics.

Sunday was spent at the allotment in the morning, then home for a shower and back to the allotment for the annual bbq, there was an onion growing competition and a young lad brought some of his beautiful honey, still on the comb, which tasted delicious.  This was his first year's produce and I will be buying some.
 
The bbq was delicious (I took veggie burgers) with sausages, burgers, salads, cakes and trifles and everyone brought beer.
Bank holiday Monday is yet to come and I plan to catch up on housework and spend some time with hubby and sons who are both here for the weekend.  Back soon....

15 comments:

  1. Good times, when you have your son there with you and husband! Your garden is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food in that restaurant looks just SO delicious Betty .. wish I could reach into my screen & taste some of it!!! I think its wonderful that the allotment has a good little community thing going on. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you have cleared a large portion of the allotment. How nice that there is a community BBQ, I think allotments are very much a place of getting to know people with similar interests. The honey comb looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I ever am in Brighton I'm sure I'll eat at Manju's! That looks mouth watering! I love the hydrangea's and look forward to see what you make of them. Hope you had a lovely weekend with sons and hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manju's looks fantastic - she looks wonderful for 85 year old! the food looks and sounds delicious. I miss the Gujarati restaurant we used to have in Walsall, the food was out of this world. How lovely that she's achieved her dream and has her boys helping her.
    I love that wistful photo of you.
    How kind of that lady to let you have some hydrangeas for your wreaths - yours have been very poor this year.
    The allotment sounds like a game changer, not only loads of homegrown veggies but loads of new friendships, too.
    Have a fabulous Holiday Monday! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sound of that restaurant. Lucky lady fulfilling her dream. Dare I say I miss work for garnering goodies like fruit, veg and hydrangea heads for drying!Have a good week Betty.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, :=) The restaurant looks good. It's just a shame that the Manju had to wait until she was quite old before she was able to fulfil her dream. At 85 it must be very tiring to cook two cooked meals a day, even with one person helping. I wonder how long she will be able to continue working!
    The allotment is a good way of forming friendships with like minded people, and getting together to enjoy barbecues.
    Enjoy the rest of the week. :=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore Indian food and that sounds like a wonderful restaurant. And the BBQ sounds fun. Love the idea of honey on the comb! It sounds like a very good group and I love that they did that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look up the panner chili, I need to try it.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice thing to fulfill a dream at any age. She looks so happy and the food is amazing. Nice flowers too. The garden is really coming a long. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like many indian things: fabrics, kitchenware items, furniture pieces. I'm not familiar, though, with indian food. That at Manju looks good, and you seem delighted by it in the picture.
    Your allotment looks very promising! Your boat painting is beautiful, and so is Mollie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Manju is an amazing woman. Wonderful to get together for bbq.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, bless her heart... she got to finally do what she'd dreamed of doing. And, that's what we all should do. The food looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun, Betty! I like the look of that small Indian restaurant. Yum! I'm glad you're having a nice summer! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun times down t' allotment Betty. I do love a good onion growing contest. That honey does look delicious, as does Manju's food - oh my, I would love to try that (tongue hanging out here!) :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.