Hello heatwavers, the heat here in Sunny Surrey has been intense, no hosepipe ban for my poscode though and the last few days we have finally had wonderful rain! My garden is hanging in there, some things died off and others have bravely soldiered on - nasturtium, with it's shallow roots is doing surprisingly well, lavender, rosemary, geranium, rose, very tall sunflower, the lawn is dead but will revive; I am thinking lawns may become a thing of the past in the UK due to climate change...
The river Mole here was on the news, they were lifting out the fish and placing them in temporary watery housing as the water level is so low they are getting grounded. Although urprisingly, we do not have a hosepipe ban here yet, I have stopped using mine - i keep the big things going with a watering can.
It's been bbq night every night for the last few weeks, just too hot for cooking indoors - With temperatures reaching 34 degrees I have really enjoyed the swimming pool at my gym which is 25 metres, heated (!) and has a nice sauna (!), I have been getting in 30 lengths a couple of times a week.
I will leave you with a little painting of the boats on the bay which I could see from my hotel room when we stayed in Mauritius. I haven't painted a boat before but enjoyed the challenge - no masterpiece of course but still fun to do.
Your tomatoes are looking good Betty. Mine are disappointing this year, I think the compost I used, peat free, just hadnt got the nourishment.
ReplyDeleteLove your painting, it's beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYour Allotmenteering is going well! That is just how it should be, all pulling together
ReplyDeleteMy garden is hanging in there too, if only just. I guess the weather here in Belgium has been very similar to that in Surrey! We've had the same thing happening in a neighbouring village, where fish were lifted from a castle moat and temporarily relocated.
ReplyDeleteI'm rather envious of your allotment, and I'm thinking of putting my name down for one if I retire - which won't be for a couple of years yet, though. xxx P.S. Not sure if I ever commented but I've been reading your blog on and off for a while now.
I got a (very expensive) key cut for my sister's allotment to help her tend it and I haven't had a chance to even visit once so far this month! I would go every day if I could. Yours sounds really sociable and I like the sound of the list of characters that frequent your little space. I absolutely adore your painting. I love the little parasol in the bottom left-hand corner. Mollie's eyes are amazing. So lovely to 'see' you here, Betty. xxx
ReplyDeleteWe've been grilling outdoors a lot too, and not nearly so hot as the grim drought you are having -- the food just tastes better! I'm glad you finally got some rain, Betty. Sorely needed. I'm impressed you have any blooms left at all! Lizzie's on grain free, too. I think it's a good thing.
ReplyDeleteGosh Mollie looks wonderful & so shiny Betty. I have been reading about your heat wave over here & it is forecast for us this summer along with a drought. I am pleased you are enjoying the allotment - I could just imagine you meeting all those wonderful characters & think you would be quite at home amongst all of them Betty.
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to say - our lawns often die in the summer now we have such hot ones but they are always the first thing to green up again once some rain comes so I never bother when they go brown. Enjoy the weekend Betty. xx
Raining here too, off and on, but the earth could do with a lot more. Your garden and allotment seem to have survived al right!
ReplyDeleteOn Sunday my eldest son about the heat wave UK is going through. This was sad because I had heard always about the fascinating rains of UK London particularly. He said people are enjoying sunny days but temperatures above thirty is too much for them.
ReplyDeleteI hope some of this Rain can reach out to your area.
Allotment sounds like a delightful change to you as you are meeting so many new people and future friends of course.. Glad that plantation Has been started.
Your Pet is getting more gorgeous every day :)
Ohhh I am loving the garden. I too have a second crop of beets, potatoes, carrots and I put in some more lettuce and radish. Plus I still have summer garden in too. Our weather is cool and we have had little wind. Really like your art and so glad Mollie is doing better.
ReplyDeleteHere the same…hot and dry..I read a lot …sitting outside in the shadow…have a nice week love from me ๐๐๐
ReplyDeleteMollie is looking gorgeous, isn't she? Your dietary experiments are paying off!
ReplyDeleteThe West Midlands has just been declared a drought area, too - not that we've had a chance to water anything anyway. It's been a bumper year for tomatoes for us and it looks like yours are just as successful. I've got sunflower envy though, ours were dreadful! xxx
That is a very nice painting.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the bank holiday weekend.
All the best Jan
A lovely sunflower - mine all got eaten ! :0 That's a happy painting, even the houses look like they are smiling :) x
ReplyDelete