Hubby had business near Brighton last Friday and I had a day off so I got a lift there for the day. Usually I sunbathe on the beach - on the pebbles - because they charge for deck chairs, however, deck chairs on the Pier are free - and there were plenty of them as I arrived at 8am so spent a large chunk of the day sunbathing and people watching in my deckchair. The Pier is a Grade II listed building.
There's always lots to see ...such as the merry-go-round - which dates back to 1880 which I remember riding on as a child of the 60s ... it's beautiful, still working and in use.
Anything free is worth a visit I say, even if only to avoid a quick rain shower! The boat museum on the seafront under the road/arches is small but free and worth a quick look as it holds a little bit of history - like these old signs for example - I think we have lost some lovely things from the past....old signage is a skill that will die, I used to live in a flat above a signwriting shop, they were always busy and their work was pure art.
Will the ice cream van be the next thing to disappear? It's such a lovely tradition.
A lot of weddings take place in Brighton on the seafront all year round, maybe you haven't seen - there's a convenient bench right smack in front of the little pavillion where it all happens so I sat and wedding watched :) the guests all had sausage dogs - I sneaked a pic of the bride - what a fabulous coffee coloured dress - she and the groom had paper flower bouquet and buttonholes.
I asked permission to take this snap (the lady asked me to chop her head off) ... what could be more purrrrfect - a classic example of someone who dresses to please herself and her cat.
next time you sit down for a nice ice cream - your dog can have one too....
I walked down to the West Pier which has never been renovated since it caught fire many years ago - I like to see the boats and colourful canoes and surf boards.
A spot of window shopping in The Lanes - this is a favourite shop of mine, Pussey... the tea towels are rude but I like them.
and this is my obelisk thingy - sweet peas, geranium, nasturtium.. the bees love it.
I love Brighton, thanks for your photo's, I love the lanes as well.
ReplyDeleteThat was a wonderful wander! A good place to people watch too!
ReplyDeleteNot much sunbathing going on here...this is the wet and windy West of Scotland after all! However we do have our occasional summer day!!
Betty I really liked accompanying you through Birgheton.
ReplyDeleteI'm curious about those ice creams for dogs.
An affectionate greeting to you
True. Anything free is worth a visit. The bride's dress is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteSadly, many skills are disappearing, leaving us with bad or no replacement.
I always love the old fashioned Carousels! What a good thing you discovered that the wood was scheduled for building. I hope it isnt allowed now that you have pointed it out.
ReplyDeleteToo much of our country side is being eaten up.
Wow what a fun fun day. I love seeing all the photos. The lady in here cat dress, the dress was OK but here socks and shoes. I just cracked up. I do love the T-Towels though. Thanks for sharing such a nice day.
ReplyDeleteYou look so relaxed in your deckchair! I love the bride's gorgeous dress. One day I WILL get to Brighton and see the Pier for myself. Your flowers are so much further on than mine. They look lovely.xxx
ReplyDeleteLovely! We have 2 historic carousels here in Oregon with hand carved carousel horses and more. They are beautiful!!! I love it when you share photos.
ReplyDeleteI love the cat dress and the mouse house! Going to Brighton sounds fun!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a perfect day! Love the doll's house! And your obelisk thingy is perfect! Wish I could grow sweet peas like yours on my balcony!
ReplyDeleteI loved wandering around Brighton with you. You look fabulously chilled in your straw hat basking in the sunshine. I love the cat dress and rainbow trainers, they look brilliant together.
ReplyDeleteWell done for galvanising the neighbours and getting a p[reservation order slapped on that precious piece of woodland.
Your obelisk is stunning! xxx
What a lovely summer post…I enjoy reading it …that dress with cats is amazing ….hahahaha love from me Ria and Leaf 🍀🐾💗🍀
ReplyDeleteHello Betty,:=) You brought back so many happy memories of when my late husband and i visited some friends who live about a 30 min drive from Brighton, but we did spend some time on Brighton pier, and looked at the many antique shops where I even bought a ring which I still wear today. You gave me a bigger picture of what Brighton has to offer in all your lovely photos. I don't think ice cream should be good for dogs, as I know that milk is bad for them, but I like the ice cream van tradition, and hope it doesn't die out. Congrats on the petition preventing your woodland being destroyed.Good for you "Wood Fairy".:=)
ReplyDeleteI would like to sit on that bench in front of the little pavillion the whole day and watch all that is going on around me.
ReplyDeleteWhat a variety of dogs on that dress.
This looks like a perfect day and a wonderful spot! I would love to explore every single one of those attractions!
ReplyDeleteHi Betty! ☺ What a fun area…I love the photos! Doggy ice cream! My dogs would love that. The woman with the kitty dress is fabulous!
ReplyDeleteBrighton is on my places to visit list and now I have seen your post I really want to go....
ReplyDeleteI really like picture of different communities.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe