Tuesday, 24 May 2022

Vitamin Sea

 

We just returned from a week in Porto Santo, a small volcanic island close to Madeira, staying at the Pestana Blue hotel with access to a beautiful  10km strip of unspoilt, polution free, blue flag beach, as our hotel was centre of the beach, it meant our afternoon walks averaged 8-10km round trip in either direction.  Temperatures were around 22f most days with only two cloudy days out of seven.




On our first walk I found a Portuguese  man of war on the beach  which I helped back into the sea with my flip flop.  Although I was very careful not to touch it, I didn't know what it was at the time and when I Googled it later I found they are poisonous, luckily this one, the size of my shoe, didn't do me any harm, although his beautiful trailing tentacles stretched about four feet or more and he made a spectacular performance with his purple float as he tried to catch the wind to be propelled back to the sea.


The Portuguese man-of-war is a floating hydrozoan. It is actually a colony consisting of four types of polyps: a pneumatophore, or float; dactylozooids, or tentacles; gastrozooids, or feeding zooids; and gonozooids stinging cells are located in the tentacles


On another walk I saw small wading birds  and an empty shell (presumably a larger bird had stolen it and eaten the contents).  Also a very large, volcanic looking crab with red striped legs who was impossible to capture as always ran into a rock crevice when I approached!  I will look the little birds up as don't know anything about them, they were very small.





This was an all inclusive holiday and everyone on our flight was at the same hotel, we had a lot of fun as the animations team laid on games and entertainment which we could join in.  The food was buffet style and the cocktails were plentiful



The town itself was small with only a few bars and shops, but still worth exploring.


The mountains around us were blackened by previous volcanic activity and I couldn't see much vegetation in our area, although there were allotments that were being tended, growing corn and grapes.

I have no idea what the fruits above are, they were growing in quite a few village gardens  -  any idea?

It's good to be home and Mollie the cat was well cared for, my sons have been cooking her fresh chicken nearly every day!


30 comments:

  1. Look at you, Bond Girl! Don't you look fabulous in your bikini?! Love your travel clothes and delighted that you had a lovely break with lots of lovely weather, good food and great company.
    That rock formation is gorgeous. That fruit may be a custard apple!
    We came home and booked another holiday with 3 days of getting back! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Custard apple seems the popular choice! I have never eaten one - will have to put that to rights. Thanks for compliments, have been lucky with ebay and sales - Monsoon are doing some eco friendly range fabrics now which makes me feel not so bad about buying new sometimes.

      Delete
  2. It sounds, and looks like a lovely place to stay, away from the madding crowd and with very lovely scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no danger of distraction from shops or even tv! nice quiet island

      Delete
  3. Welcome home, mate. Looks fab and surprised the pool wasn't more utilised. I would have been in it everyday if there were Portugese Men-Of-War bobbing about in the sea! Definitely poisonous! Did you manage to get any painting done? Bet Mollie was very glad to have you back too although sounds like she had her very own holiday with the lads. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to say, re the fruit, there's a similar fruit which grows in Sicily called 'Nespale', bit like a fig.

      Delete
    2. didnt do much painting, too busy exploring the beach! the pool was ice cold, it was a challenge to get in but once you did it was ok! my pics were taken early as I wake up when the birds do!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to sign in and the Anonymous comment is from me. Like I said a wonderful trip and you look amazing. You are so fortunate to visit there. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very lucky indeed, also the hotels were not full as everything is just opening up again after the covid pandemic, the staff had lots of time for us and we were treated like royalty.

      Delete
  6. Betty, I also think that plant is custard apple. I leave you a page so that you know the benefits that its leaves provide.
    https://www.xataka.com.mx/investigacion/las-hojas-de-chirimoya-tienen-efecto-antidiabetico-ipn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norma I just took the link, Google translate and read this - it's interesting as, like you, I am keen on knowing more of the medicinal value of the plants I see. The research appears to have not yet progressed to human trials but I think this is something we will be hearing more about soon if it can be used as a natural regulator for diabetics - thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  7. Your photos are just wonderful Betty - it looks like such a beautiful place & a lovely spot where you stayed at. If I had a great figure like you - I'd rock a bikini at the beach too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's very kind of you Julie, thank you. I am lucky to have time to visit a lovely gym/pool at home which helps burn off the huge amount of carbs I consume!

      Delete
  8. That looks like a wonderful and idyllic place! And you look great! The fruits look like Brussels sprouts to me, but I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Norma has cracked this one - custard apple

      Delete
  9. Lovely!!…what a great trip was that …enjoy the memories…love Ria 🍀💗🍀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ria, that's what it's all about for us - making great memories :)

      Delete
  10. thank you for stunning images from your recent trip dear Betty . i loved the reflection in swimming pool most ,spectacular !
    you look gorgeous in both photos but due to more smile my most favorite is last one you standing in the balcony :) fabulous !
    i am totally unfamiliar with man of he war ,what an interesting look and motion . ocean looks amazing and appealing . always nice to be home indeed :)
    good that Mollie was cared by your sons nicely .blessinsg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Baili for your compliments, I should smile more perhaps! I had never seen or heard of this man of war before, I had to google it - a diving school at the hotel told me they rarely see them, maybe a few times in a year so I was very lucky - I only hope that when I pushed him out to see, I didn't harm him.

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful holiday, Betty. You look so happy and relaxed. That Man of War is quite impressive -- and very beautiful. But I'm glad it didn't hurt you. Gorgeous views. I'm longing to get away for even a bit. Thanks for letting me travel vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, it looks lovely, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always good to have an escape. I definitely need one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you got to take some holiday time.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful, an exotic location.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful, an exotic location.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful place for a getaway. The plants in the last picture look like papaya trees.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Betty I'm very envious of your trip! It looks so nice! And you look so beautiful and happy! (I would not have gone anywhere near that man-of-war, they look too scary to me lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This island looks like belonging to Paradise. You are great-looking in the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Flipping 'eck Betty, I thought I'd clicked on an episode of Baywatch then, with Pamela emerging from the water in a red bikini, plus a real life beach rescue ;) :) The water looks so inviting. Ol' Glass Eyed Mumrah collects 'Mdina glass' that is the colour of that beautiful sea and funny jelly fish, especially when the light filters through it on the window ledge. That plant is bonkers. My fig tree trunk looks a bit like that at the moment - with all the emerging buds gnawed off by the mutant snails (must be a delicacy for them) and just a bit of new top growth. Looks like you had a wonderful holiday xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.