Monday, 18 April 2022

Easter Weekend

Something going on with blogger as my post is encoded! So apologies for any typos you may encounter and I hope you can read it!

After working on Saturday I spent the rest of the Easter Bank Holiday weekend in the garden and the woods.

Bluebells are visible from my bedroom window in the woods behind our house so it was only a short walk to soak up their beautiful fragrance....


 We are getting butterflies and bees in the garden.



I have tomato, cucumber and chilli seedlings but am keeping them indoors as it will turn cold again next week. Today has been warm and I dozed off in the garden whilst reading my library book. 


A couple in West Sussex who gave their farm back to nature and let it grow wild.  It's  a brilliant read.  It is sad to read about how modern farming gas taken so much of our natural habitat and meadowland away... the decline of birds, wildflowers and trees in the UK doesnt make cheerful reading- but the book is full of hope and is inspiring me to do my bit for wildlife by letting my garden go a bit wild :)

some bright colours waiting to go into the garden.




26 comments:

  1. Very lovely post. Have a wonderful day today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty, you are lucky, according to what you tell us I see that in the surroundings of where you live no pesticides have been used. If they had been used you would not have butterflies and bees in your garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Norma, beyond the small woodland here the fields around here are not being used for intensive farming so we are lucky that there is a small corridor that is giving wildlife a chance.

      Delete
  3. So many flowers are early this year, it is difficult to keep up with them.
    I too am having blogger issues and can no longer reply to my comments. Just wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you for calling by, and I am so pleased that you are going to get yourself the 2 for 1 Garden Voucher which I do hope you really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the early start doesn't affect growth for crops/food supplies, so many things depend on the weather being predictable.

      Delete
  4. Always lovely to see what you are planning in the garden. It is such a delight to feel that wildlife enjoy one's garden. We have had a pair of Bullfinch this week, not seen for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how lovely, I think bullfinch are scarce, I never see starlings or sparrows now.

      Delete
  5. Your garden looks so lovely Betty! Oh butterflies already! Spring is here, but it's still quite chilly at night! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lots of butterflies but very few moths so I have put out solar lights at night to encourage them

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. me too, it's the busiest time in the garden but so rewarding

      Delete
  7. Hello Betty, :=) The woodland bluebells are so pretty. It reminds me of my childhood growing up in the country when I used to sit amongst them. Those purple flowers in your conservatory are gorgeous. My garden is a wilderness, I would even go as far as to say, it's a jungle, but I can't garden any more, nor can I find anyone to do any gardening for me.:=(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your wilderness garden might be enviable these days as left undisturbed it may be supporting a lot of wildlife - I am resisting the temptation to weed for example and to encourage weeds and wildflowers, I am sorry you can't enjoy gardening though and hope you have the chance to at least grow something on your windowsill. The purple flowers will grow indoors and if deadheaded will flower all through Summer - they are called pericailis, I had not seen them before but a garden centre near me had about 200 of them on display - I have noticed though that they don't seem to interest bees.

      Delete
  8. Your wander through the woods looks incredibly pretty, Betty. We got back from the cinema to discover that the bluebells in our garden had started to bloom, I went a bit mad last year and thought I might have got rid of a lot of them but they've come back with avengeance.
    That book sounds interesting - we're all about the wild here! I think you're veryu wise keeping your seedlings indoors, it looks like it's turning cold again tomorrow. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad your bluebells are still there - none grow in my garden despite only a fence between me and the woods!

      Delete
  9. I loved that book, I read it in lockdown. The bluebells are long way off here, they usually arrive in mid May but they are so beautiful when they arrive and the smell is wonderful too how lovely to be able to see them from your house.

    I wonder if your post edit was in HTML mode rather than compose mode, I am not sure what you screen looks like but if you find the icon that looks like a pen and click on the arrow you will see there is choice of compose view and HTML view you can switch between the two at any point. It is on the left hand side of the screen for me on a laptop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was the HTML mode and it's resolved - thank you :)

      Delete
  10. What beautiful photos. That's a wonderful walk. Love those bluebells -- so pretty. And the book sounds terrific, too. My friend Jenny has wild property they go to in Suffolk and nature is booming there.

    On your blogger bar above the post you are writing (where you add pix and such) go to the html icon on the far left and click compose view and you should see it without code. At least I think that's what's up. It looked fine here.

    Thanks for coming by today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I have found the html icon and it's resolved :)

      Delete
  11. Hello Betty ... I have seen a few comments on other blogs about issues with blogger too. Your photos are beautiful - so pretty - just love the spring time. It turned cold here & I went in to winter clothes but today is warm again & I have a cotton dress back on. I have read a long article about that book & thought what a wonderful read it looked. Enjoy it Betty .xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the book is interesting, I am learning a lot from it.

      Delete
  12. Watched 'Beechgrove' last week and it was teeming with snow in Aberdeenshire where the main programme is filmed! High society wedding this weekend so most of their garden is taken up by the biggest marquee I've ever seen! Nice to see all the apple blossom magically opening up though. Nice colours in your pots. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your bluebells are much further on than ours! Love all your photos - really show what spring is like. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't that a Comma butterfly? We don't see many of them in our corner of Scotland.
    Lovely flowers in garden and woods

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love when butterflies and bees visit garden and birds yes we have few pairs of small and average size of birds who nest in our creeper and pomegranate ,this is such a joy to see nature on work so close by :)

    your garden is looking exquisite wow ,loved the bright blooms and loved the bluebells in your surroundings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.