Wednesday, 23 March 2022

Spring is Sprung

The garden is noticeably full of signs of Spring - the bird feeders are getting robin and blue tit visitors and some grey squirrels.  The lawn is sprouting daisies, this year I will try not to suppress weeds unless they are exceptionally invasive as am embracing a bit more of an eco balance, so daisies get to stay.



Following guidance from the wildlife gardening book my brother gave me, I bought some bee and butterfly loving plants and got them into the ground a little at a time last week.  I have lavender, erysimum and weigela and honeysuckle, added plenty of compost and manure and also replenished the bird feeders with dried grubs and seed.


I was pleased to find wild violets growing in my own garden and also in the woods, for some years they were a bit of a rarity but seem to be making a comeback this year.



Over the weekend I planted nasturtium and basil in hanging baskets and made little newspaper pots to plant up sweetpea and cherry tomato - they are all indoors at the moment as we are still getting the odd frost.

Yesterday was warm and sunny and I stretched out on a couple of chairs in the garden, covered myself with my jacket and slept for an hour, Mollie cat joined me and slept under my chair ... I then planted 40 gladioli bulbs in my already crammed borders.



This morning I am having my tea in the conservatory - the black and white embroidered cushions pictured were a birthday present last month from my friend (she originates from Sri Lanka and this type of embroidery was taught to the girls in school there, she brought these covers back on her last visit), aren't they beautiful?



Although I was offered an allotment plot by the local council, it was a fair drive from home (not very eco friendly and costly with rising petrol prices), although very tempting I therefore declined and am waiting it out for one within walking distance.   Whilst waiting I am sharing a patch on my friends allotment and will be planting my potatoes there at the weekend - they are chitting nicely at the moment.





I have been a fan of Monsoon clothing since my teen years during the 70s.  I received a really lovely brochure (recycled paper and eco friendly ink).  They say they are going back to their origins (1973) and the styles for Spring certainly reflect this, they are also favouring hand block prints made with eco friendly/sourced fabrics, so I have ordered a couple of pieces.  I am not on commission but think they are worthy of a mention,

Monsoon Spring 2022 preview 

(and that's just the paper the brochure is printed on! much of their collection is eco friendly S.E.W. Sustainable fabric).

Since surgery in January my hand is not 100% so I have been given a course of physiotherapy sessions to get a better range of movement/strength - this is helping.  I did a weight lifting class with very light weights at the gym last week and have upped my swimming to 30 lengths.  Today will be my first day back at work.


We have holidays to look forward to this year - which if it goes to plan will be the year we catch up on some holidays that were booked but postponed during the covid times ... Bulgaria, Mauritius and Malta are all waiting to be explored.


Today is expected to reach 21f in my part of the UK I feel lucky to be able to enjoy such simple pleasures.  I went for a woodland walk this.morning....


Lots of wood anemone, primrose and celandine are covering the verges, ditches and paths....


The Manor House near here was all set up to serve afternoon teas...



Not a particularly good picture of me but I wanted to capture my embroidered top - I have had it several years - fashion comes and goes and it would seem this year embroidery is back, hubby pointed out the pattern is not unlike the National custome of the ladies of Ukraine The Rise of Ukrainian National Costume in Fashion | Vogue


I will finish on a more serious note .... my thoughts are still very much with those in Ukraine and I am not for one moment forgetting how privileged we are here in the UK to be enjoying security, a recovering economy and everyday pleasures whilst they are struggling at every level, I admire their bravery and wish those countries, like ours, witnessing this nightmare unfold, could do more to help them hold on to their freedom.















20 comments:

  1. Definitely spring is coming to your area! My husband said the birds were loud and crazy this morning, but I didn't even hear them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, Betty. Your blooms are looking lovely. You are far ahead of us here in the States, but we're on our way. I love your beautifully embroidered blouse, all the more special now. Your conservatory is the loveliest room. I don't think I could make myself move to any other! A good book, cuppa tea. Divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't the last few days been glorious? Everyone's so much smilier and friendlier when the sun's out!
    Your garden is looking fabulous, thank goodness you and mollie had a power nap before planting all those bulbs! I think you're very wise turning down that allotment, we're trying to keep our journeys to a minimum, too - fuel prices are scary.
    Monsoon popped up on my Facebook the other day and I was very impressed with some of their new things - there's a silver and white gauzy cotton dress I love - and isn't it lovely to see such diverse models, all manner of ethnicities, sizes and ages?
    I love your Ukrainian top and would steal it off you in a heartbeat!
    Malta!! I nearly moved there in the late 1980s! My brother and my Mum's favourite place on earth. Valetta is one of the most beautiful cities on the planet - that delapidated elegance that I love. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS I'm sorry the healing process has been so slow, you're doing brilliantly with the fitness, you put my 16 lengths to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love wild violets! And you are so fortunate to live near woodland, the spring flowers look so lovely! I have not decided yet what I will grow on my little balcony. Love your embroidered top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Betty! I love your top!
    Now I want to plant 50 gladiolus bulbs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recovery takes time. I always look forward to the blossoming of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Betty, :=) Your garden will be very colourful with the hard work you put in to making it look beautiful. I love daisies too, and they flourish in my garden.

    Bravo on swimming so many lengths in the swimming pool, and doing the weights exercises. Your holiday plans to Bulgaria, Mauritius, and Malta, sound exciting, I hope nothing happens to prevent you from going this time.

    My thoughts are also with the people of Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gargantuan task Betty, planting 50 gladioli! I would have been tempted to have a cat nap in the sun afterwards too ;) I too love daisies - my dad is horrified that I allow them in my lawn. Those wild violets are so pretty. Good to hear your tatties are chatting nicely. I used to love going into Monsoon as a teenager in the early 90s and remember their hippy tops and Jesus sandals. Your look lovely in your folk top. My thoughts are with Ukraine xXx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't over do it. Recover is sometimes long. Your garden looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.... Bulgaria, Mauritius and Malta.... nice places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robins are good sign spring is here.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely to see wild Wood anemones. I remember seeing carpets of them when we were in Normandy one year, so beautiful.
    How pretty your blouse is, so meaningful at the moment. Hope your hand recovers soon, Betty. In the meantime look after yourself and have plenty of sun siestas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The weather has certainly been wonderful recently hasn't it.

    I did enjoy seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the eco friendly theme of this post. What a beautiful place your garden will be! I will look for Monsoon clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i loved the glimpse of your garden ,yard plantation and surroundings dear Betty ,i am happy that spring s flourishing in your country gorgeously .

    i am sorry that your hand is not recovered perfectly ,i hope it will and soon as you are taking physiotherapy .
    i particularly LOVED your top yes i agree it resembles to traditional clothing of Ukraine .
    health ,peace and joy more to you and loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Betty! ♥ Your embroidery top and the pillows are just beautiful! I'm envious that you're starting your seeds already! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely blouse. Enjoy your warming weather.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That garden of yours is coming along well!
    Well done for sitting tight and waiting for a closer allotment..our nearest ones are 15 miles away!!
    Keep up the exercises...you will get there.
    I used to love the clothes in Monsoon... haven't had a branch near me for ages.

    In reply to your comment on my blog. If you have a local library with a decent internet setup, you can often access genealogy websites for free..thats what my daughter often does. I don't as the local library is small and the council uses IE Which can cause problems as it isn't up to date. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Betty, you look so nice with the lovely embroidery blouse. What have been happening in Ukraine is just heart-wrenching.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.