Sunday, 24 April 2022

Shopping

I was surprised to be the only bidder on a lovely Anokhi for East wrap skirt this week.  I had one the same many years ago which I lost on a holiday abroad,  so finding this one really made me smile.  It wraps and ties to the side and looks lovely with gold sandals and a little cotton top on a hot evening so is going in the holiday suitcase. Twenty quid including postage seemed a bargain as I paid more than double for the original all those years ago.....



this is the sellers picture as I haven't ironed it yet ( I always wash but it looked brand new).  Hope I'm not breaking any rules with this pic but let me know if I am!  Anokhi clothing is made in India and the fabric is patterned by hand using blocks of wood, they have several shops there but the flagship store and museum of their hand blocked prints is in Jaipur which we visited in 2019.



I went to the garden centre... 



I always seek out a lovely member of staff at the garden centre - she's a little unusual and I like people who stand out - she used to be a grave digger.  Sue has a lot of gardening/RHS qualifications so I always go to her for my next purchase and she always points me to the reduced section for some lucky finds.  Yesterday on my visit she pointed me to the half price magnolia trees and when I picked mine she was so pleased and said she hoped I would choose that one as it was the best and deserved to go to someone nice and not someone who won't look after it properly!  It has one beautiful deep pinky red flower yet to open and the leaves (which come after the flowering) are just sprouting.   My tomato and chilli plants are out for some fresh air but still come in at night as there is still a chill in the air.


My herbs (in pots on the patio)  are coming along nicely but lacked colour so I added this pretty pink daisy to my collection of pots, it seemed good value as has a long flowering period and will die down and come back next year if I treat it well. 


 I am working from home this week, doing training on a new system we will use - we all log in and train online as a group and share screens remotely, chatting through our headsets so it's just like being in the office.  Usually I work late shifts so it will be a nice change to do a 9-5 for a few days and be free to cook the dinner and go to some different classes at the gym in the evenings and a late night swim :)

My days off this week will be filled with window cleaning and earthing up my potatoes in the spare patch my friend gave me on her allotment :)


24 comments:

  1. Anokhi fabrics are beautiful!

    Your garden is coming along well..I'm afraid that we have been away just at the wrong time so are lagging behind you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your garden catches up - going a bit wild is quite nice I think and it's always a surprise to see how much it grows in our absence! I am leaning more towards unkempt this year as will be away a lot and know my sons won't be into watering and primping too much in my absence!

      Delete
  2. Window cleaning so you'll see all your new growth. I love the thought of making a day at the garden center. Hope for new. It's great finding a knowledgeable person in stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know Sam we are going to have to clean our windows ourselves as I couldn't ask the window cleaner, they are covered in mud and steaks where hubby had a karcher out to clean our patio and it sprayed everywhere!

      Delete
  3. indian handmade skirt is gorgeous dear Betty ,i just loved the color too :) your choice of dressing is stunning always .

    your visit to garden center with son and and girlfriend sounds nice ,the flower handed by your acquaintance or friend is pretty as well .
    your garden is lovely filled with beautiful flowers .best wishes for tomatoes and chilies .
    oh yes i saw my eldest son attending his office from home exactly same way you mentioned ,i found it great ,it saves plenty of time for other things .
    blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing about my work from home days is no commute, both my sons are doing this too now and they have time to exercise, go for a walk, eat better - I think we do need to get a balance and still go to work too but it is a turn for the better that so many of us can do this - on the other hand, some people are doing it so much they don't want to return to their office and it's impacting in various ways on service levels in the public sector here!

      Delete
  4. Anokhi fabrics sound like something I would love. It is hard to stay away from garden centers at this time of year. Pink daisies are a real treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen this little pink daisy before but the label says it will die down and come back the following year so seemed a good choice. Garden centres are the new day out for many people I think - you can spend as much or as little as you want and it's such a nice way to meet friends outdoors.

      Delete
  5. I love your wrap skirt, it's like a elegantly tied sarong and the colour combo is beautiful. It'll look lovely both day and night, the perfect holiday skirt, don't lose this one!!
    Your plantsa re coming along beautifully. How excited to have a spot on your friend's allotment, too. Jon's planting spuds this week.
    Enjoy your different hours this week. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix, yes unfortunately on holidays gone by others have found the odd item of washing on my balcony too tempting to resist! This one will go home unwashed in case it meets the same fate lol!

      Delete
  6. I cannot resist a garden center, though I'm bound to kill most anything I buy! It's good to have a good contact there to steer your well. You remind me I need to get my basil into pots and going NOW!

    I'm so glad you found that beautiful skirt. I lost my favorite scarf on my last day in England and I still miss it. I tried to find another like it online to no avail. You were lucky! It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can be sure that scarf will turn up on EBay one day, Jeanie, you should do a saved search and one day you will get an email alert that it has been found I am sure :) Nearly all my anokhi dresses and skirts came from lucky EBay finds.

      Delete
  7. I love that fabric, so pretty. I do love it when I find something for sale that I have been looking for or know that I will love as I have had something similar before.

    That magnolia is gorgeous, once the flowers are out it is going to be stunning.

    Enjoy your new working hours, I hope you can get more 9-5 days in the weeks and months to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having done only one 9-5 so far, I have quickly realised my late shifts aren't so bad - I get time to go to the gym in the morning, sit in the garden, read a book all before starting work and at the other end of the day hubby has nearly always made our dinner!

      Delete
  8. Your new skirt looks wonderful Betty & such a bargain! How special to go to the Garden Centre with son/girlfriend & share a pot of tea while out. I just love outings like that - they fill up my "happiness vessel" inside me!! I hope you have a good week Betty ... its chilly here now & winter feels like its knocking on our door. Oh by the way - good purchase on the magnolia - I have that one & its stunning when in flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a road lined with these trees near me, they just finished flowering but had my attention every time I drove past - I am growing mine in a very large tub until we eventually move to our retirement house in a few years - hope it survives.

      Delete
  9. Nice when the kids want to spend time with you. Love your new skirt. Can't wait to see where you take it. Lovely garden you have, Betty. Such colour.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well youngest son is 23 so doesn't usually want to do much admiring of bluebells but he has indulged me a few times. That little skirt has several trips planned this year :)

      Delete
  10. Hello Betty chuck, what an absolute bobby dazzler you've grabbed with that gorgeous wrap skirt. Perfect for your suitcase - wherever the mystery destination may be. I don't think the seller will sue for copyright infringement, but let me tell you something that's happened to Ol' Glass Eyed Mumrah a few times... she sells items on eBay then the buyer lists them on their sales page using the SAME IMAGE but with inflated price! The cheek of it!!!

    Your pot of tea and garden centre trip sounds spot on. Gravedigger to gardener - makes sense 'eh, bet your garden centre lass is a dab hand with a shovel. How fab that she pointed you in the direction of that beautiful magnolia. Good to see I am not the only one hogging outdoor tables for important hardening off duties. I hope you enjoy your days off with the windows and tattie action. You'll have muscles on muscles after that :) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's all kinds of fiendish behaviour on EBay - I'm dead scared of it but have sold a few things - and been tricked a few times with people sending things that weren't up to standard and saying things like 'I washed it before I posted and it seems to have shrunk/lightened/etc' ... you live and learn :)

      Delete
  11. Betty ,you do find the most lovely things! Skirt, so pretty and a lovely Magnolia which I'm sure you will bring back to its beauty again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping the flower will come out (and not drop off!) it seems to like the sheltered spot I found for it, it spent last night with plastic bags over its branches as we were expecting a frost.

      Delete
  12. What a gorgeous fabric, Betty! Your garden centre friend seems a wonderful person. I love magnolia's. And I love your pots! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to have made friends with someone so knowledgeable

      Delete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.