Friday, 4 March 2022

Portugal

We just took that midweek break in Portugal, staying at the Falesia Hotel near Albufeira, Faro.  The weather was wonderful, with some strong winds but plenty of sunshine....temperatures were 'tee shirt weather' during the day/in the sun,  at times in the 80s, with cool evenings needing a jumper to venture out late!



We were on the outskirts of Albufeira, at Roja-Pe, the hotel offered  a twice daily 5 minute free shuttle service to the beach.  We could walk but tried twice and got lost!


Orange and lemon groves are plentiful in this region and also fig and almond trees.



The sleepy little town was just opening up after Covid restrictions, small cafes were open for coffee and cake (pastel de nata, like little custard tarts, being the popular choice of locals)...



This cafe had it's own ready supply of orange grove in their own backyard.


Pastel de nata cakes are hubby's favourite, they were on the hotel breakfast buffet.


Falesia Beach has consistently earned the Unesco Blue Flag  for its beautiful golden sands and pollution free, crystal clear waters.  It's one of the best beaches in the Algarve.



It's popular with surfers but we also saw people jogging or walking dogs and sunbathers like us too.






There were cafes near the beach too, where the locals sat with coffees, you could sit for hours without any feeling that you should hurry or leave.


The outdoor pool at the hotel was very cold, but there was also an indoor pool.


The area is known for its many golf courses and football stadium; it's popular with ex-pat footballers who have bought property and we were told that nearby is a vineyard owned by Sir Cliff Richards - the wine is certainly very nice (and affordable).




The sand is soft and clean.... it was so nice to relax here, I slept a lot!





Our room came with a balcony which caught the early morning sunrise.  
Wearing my East (Christmas present) dress/blue bling earrings a gift from my buddy Vix.


This was a short break but just right for a bit of relaxation.   I was so lucky to get three days of superb sunbathing in my bikini on a sandy beach with the sound of the sea.   I came home feeling rested and now have some physio planned to get my hand back to its full strength.  



23 comments:

  1. Betty, I'm glad you've enjoyed your little vacation. I also really like the Pasteles de Belén, which you call pastels de nata. They do not have cream, it is a cream similar to pastry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting how, throughout the world, food makes such an impact! Those little cakes are available in the UK now and we will be enjoying them often. The portuguese influence comes up in many countries we have been to, in the language, the food and the architecture :)

      Delete
  2. What a wondeful break. Sunshine is so good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 64 golf courses!? Wow! Must have been good to escape. We look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think the driver who told me that was exaggerating, I googled it - 31 :)

      Delete
  4. Hello Betty, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your short break in Portugal. Out of season it's quiet, but your description of your perception of Portugal is spot on. Warm during the day, cold in the evening, just like it is here in the north. I know Albufeira and that region very well, as we had an apartment not far away. Yesterday my daughter and I had tea in our favourite cafe and confectioners, and I ate a nata with a coffee. I love all your outfits, and photos, and I'm so pleased you feel rested, and enjoyed your stay here.
    All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou :) We saw some lovely new apartments being built near our hotel, it's a fabulous place to retire to I would think :) The nata are available in the UK now (Lidl and Waitrose) so we will be able to enjoy them regularly, close our eyes and imagine we are back in Albufeira!

      Delete
  5. A lovely break in a beautiful place...and a chance to wear some pretty clothes instead of being wrapped up against the cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting GZ, we were very lucky to get such good weather at this time of year.

      Delete
  6. Look at you in your gorgeous holiday gear! Did it feel good to escape these shores after so long?
    It sounds like your weather was perfect, what a wonderful birthday treat!
    I've not visited the Algarve since the 1980s when it was Escudos rather than Euros, I loved the wildness of the beaches but never tried one of those pastries until I traded in Bethnal Green in London. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh Betty, that soft sand and blue sea is heavenly! I went to the Algarve as a teenager and remember the fresh orange juice and custard tarts well. I also remember eating at a diner full of locals each night, where we payed by the weight of our tray - and it was delicious too. You look lovely and it sounds like you had a wonderful break xXx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely spot Betty ... no crowds or too many tourists. Just the sort of break I like .. nice & relaxing. The photos of you in your kaftans are wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds wonderful! Glad to hear that you had a wonderful time away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pastels de nata Is called “egg tart” in Japan due to the ingredient of custard cream. Being relaxed and unwounded at such nice place in such comfortable weather is a time of bliss. You look so nice with the blue dress.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ola! You look great in your holiday snaps. What a welcome change to see such blue skies (they're blue here today but the air's 20 degrees colder!). Those custard tarts are so delish but just one isn't enough! Have a good Sunday.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks like a fab holiday. glad the sun shone and you are feeling more relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of a "midweek break in Portugal." There aren't a lot of great places we could go for a midweek break here! Or foreign countries -- though that's not quite true. We're only two hours from the Canadian border but will have to wait till Covid restrictions are changed! It looks like such a wonderful trip, and you had really beautiful weather. I love every photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, it looks wonderful! I'm so glad you had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My dad always want to see Portugal. The beaches look wonderful.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great place, I can imagine how relaxing and enjoyable your holiday was! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a fabulous place to go.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks absolutely gorgeous!!! I would love to be there right now! Beautiful beachwear!x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.