Friday, 17 December 2021

This Week and Christmas Present (Rain's Art Date)

 This week I am joining Rain's Art Date and have shown below two Christmas present sacks I made  for each of my sons while I was waiting for them to be born - I have shown these before on my blog as they are very much a part of Christmas here at Touchwood.   My sons are grown up now but we still use the sacks to decorate chair backs at Christmas, they have held together well (27 and 23 years!)




Other things that are to do with Christmas present are that we went for a walk in the woods and collected some lovely holly and ivy to make my fresh door wreath.  I bought eucalyptus stems from our local florist and added dried orange slices.  It smells lovely.

We like to decorate our house for Christmas on 12th December so hubby put the fairy lights up while I set up the tree and decorated it with my lovely vintage baubles.


Whilst in the diy shop looking for a new porch light (ours had broken), I found two lovely long faux foliage garlands at half price so bought them for the patio door frame.  We have a mixture of fresh and faux foliage all over the downstairs of the house and it feels very festive.




I had some lovely post this week:  My blogging friend Vix sent this beautiful book:


 The Nature Notes of an Edwardian Lady.  I love these books and the art inside is just beautiful. So lucky to have this one as they are hard to come by now so was a lovely surprise (thank you Vix xxx).... I know I haven't managed to complete a nature painting for each month of 2021 so this book will be just the inspiration I need to spur me on.

I will be working Christmas Day this year so opening pressies on Christmas eve and having our dinner on Christmas day evening.  Today I am cleaning up the spare room for our oldest son who is coming to stay ;)








19 comments:

  1. Whata lovely book your friend sent, will it inspire you?
    I made my own wreath this year, filled a ring with moss from the lawn, and found lots of bits of greenery from the garden. Very pleasing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own a copy of Nature Notes too and would love to be able to draw and paint like Edith Holden but really just prefer writing so I'm never going to learn now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sacks are lovely, I bet your boys still get a thrill when they see them! How gorgeous is that wreath, too - I love that you've continued to add to it with foraged finds.
    I was thrilled to find that book and know that you'll be spending many happy hours leafing through it and getting inspired. It couldn't have gone to a better home.
    Have a fabulous Xmas, dear Betty. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your hubby did an excellent job with the tree decoration and the wreath on the door!
    Enjoy your lovely gift book from your friend Vix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas to you. I am thankful for my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your wreath turned out beautiful Betty, as are your other Christmas touches. I made pillowcases for my two sons & still have them too! I managed to come across one of those books in a thrift store & I treasure my copy. Wishing you a wonderful festive season Betty. I love stopping by your blog & the chats we have away from here xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. All looks lovely at yours. Glad the xmas sacks have survived. Keep them for the grandchildren! Lovely thoughtful gift from Vix. Have a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for stopping by... and your lovely comment.

    Now, I read here... and enjoy this Post with Christmas mood. Yes, I love the old fashioned book with this fantastisc Illustrations. Let me look inside, it must be wonderful.

    Merry Christmas ⭐⭐⭐⭐

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh I can smell that beautiful wreath from here Betty! The sacks you made for your lads are so incredibly cute. Vintage baubles are looking fab. How kind of Vix to send you a book...and what an intriguing one it looks too. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet your excited that your oldest son is coming.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely fresh wreath you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post...Christmas is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your sacks and how wonderful that they have lasted all this time and you have found a way to continue to use them.

    I remember my granny had a copy of that book on her shelves, I always loved to read it when we went to visit her, I think my mum has it now. I do hope it provides you with inspiration.

    I love your wreath, it looks gorgeous, I have a load of bits I have collected to make mine but haven't got round to it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your santa and reindeer are ADORABLE!

    Have a wonderful Christmas, Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, that wreath! I would love to have that experience of walking in the woods with you, finding the holly and ivy and then returning to make such a perfect wreath. Your home looks lovely -- festive and warm and cozy. So lovely. Merriest to you, and a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. your care for things reminds me my mom who used to keep things tidy and well for decades dear Betty ,i feel embarrassed when i remember that less than half set of crockery was broken by my younger son when he was less than one year old ,i wanted that set to stay with me forever sigh but congestion of the area for crawling child made it happen :(

    i loved the wreath so pretty ! most i loved the tree and the baubles wow tree looks absolutely stunning !
    gifts from your friend a book sounds cool ,i too love to scroll such books filled with lots of NATURE'S MAGIC

    YES SUCH FESTIVE LIGHTS LOOK GREAT AND GORGOUS AT NIGHT SPECIALLY .
    GLAD YOUR SON COULD JOIN YOU FOR THE FESTIVAL MY FRIEND HUGS AND BLESSINGS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.