My annual leave got off to a good start with my first Saturday off for several weeks:
After a body pump gym class, swim and sauna, a visit from my friend who has the allotment eating eccles cakes and chatting. I also had time to make a start on my wreath - the hydrangea heads I dried recently make a nice base and I will add to it gradually over the month.
and I found plenty of seed heads/grasses for my wreath, which I will spray silver and gold.
Recently we had the most fantastic evening out at the (travelling) Circus of Horrors who were at The Harlequin, Redhill, for one night - considering what a small stage they had to work with they crammed a huge array of talent in and, the moment I had been waiting for: lady in the glass bottle, was fun but over in seconds as she stepped out as soon as she was brought on the stage in her bottle! We go to their show every year and are never disappointed, there's always something new, apart from the entertainment they have fantastic rock music performed by their live band throughout the show. This is a human circus of acrobats, fire eaters, illusionists, jugglers and contortionists.
![]() |
| GALLERY (circusofhorrors.co.uk) #circusofhorrors |
On Monday I did a core class at the gym and some rowing then popped in the nearby garden centre - there was a large collection of shrubs on the 'free to take' stand so I took five hebes and an unknown withered thing that deserves a chance :) I think they will provide some nice structure and colour to my border when they are established.
On Tuesday I had three inches cut off my hair to get it down to a nice blunt cut and an Olaplex conditioning treatment (bonding for damaged hair). The afternoon was spent clearing the garage of clutter and taking things up to the recycle centre.
On Wednesday we took the 45 minute train to London.
![]() |
| Borough Market |
![]() |
| Borough Market |
We could probably be black cab drivers as we know London so well. I worked in the West End and City for 16 years (pa in merchant bank and moonlighter at various nightclubs in the 80s). It's often a lot more fun and quicker to walk than to get trains and buses as there is so much walking up and down stairs and escalators for the tube that you can get bogged down with the underground system and miss all the sights - walking is so much better ....

Borough Market 
Borough Market 
Cafe/living wall, Borough Market - Took the train at 11am into London Bridge
- Walked through Borough Market
- Coffee and lemon cake stop at Starbucks
- Passed the Globe Theatre (reconstruction of original)
- Walked along the Embankment
- Tate Modern Gallery (most of the exhibit area is free entry and they have the nicest toilets in the area which was our main objective)
- Over Waterloo Bridge up Kingsway
- Coffee and shared cookie at Pret a Manger
- Walked into Covent Garden Market and saw the hourly snowfall and Christmas decorations
- Toilet stop at The Opera House (very nice toilets and seating to rest our weary feet)
- Walked into Leicester Square for drinks at Moon Under the Water (Weatherspoons)
- Walked to Chinatown for a meal with oldest son , London Chinatown, 27 Gerrard Street,
- Walked to the Adelphi Theatre to see the musical: Back to the Future (took boots off to rest feet!)
- Retraced our footsteps to Blackfriars for the train home
![]() |
| Covent Garden |
fairy light tunnels and christmas trees galore and snowfall on the hour every hour at Covent Garden Market. There were street entertainers around but we avoided the crowds and kept going....
















I wish I could go with you! It’s a long time since I went to London.
ReplyDeleteHI Catherine - hope you get to visit again but in the meantime whenever I go I will make sure to do a good blog post :)
DeleteWell, happy birthday to him! What a fabulous time in London -- I think that was a present for you both! London. My favorite city. I just sank into every photo and count the months till I can return. What a grand time! And I love that you live near sheep! I think you are maxing out your time on your leave -- keep at that fun and sharing it with us!
ReplyDeleteI do hope you can come to London again soon Jeanie, businesses are opening up and trying so hard to keep going since Covid; everything was much quieter than usual and of course there were hardly any tourists around :)
DeleteWhat a wonderful post Betty, which I enjoyed SO much thank you. You don't know how much it is MY DREAM to be able to say "caught the train in to London". Oh how I would so love to visit. I just loved every thing you have shown here & am going back for another look at your pics. You are certainly having a fun filled annual leave time. Take care Betty.xx
ReplyDeleteJulie I hope one day you can come and enjoy London and I would love to meet you there! I must do more posts when we go there to visit our son.
DeleteBetty, they say annual leave is to rest ... lie! You get more tired than going to work.
ReplyDeleteYou have done a marathon tour of the city of London, I hope your husband wants to repeat it.
My affectionate greetings to you
Hello Norma, I do like to keep busy and active even on holiday! We will do London again soon I am sure as one of our sons lives there so we have good reason to go :)
DeleteHappy Birthday to your Hubby!
ReplyDeleteLondon is such a wonderful treat! It has it all: markets, galleries, theaters, eateries etc..
I very much agree with you - walking is a more pleasant and beneficial activity than being on trains and buses.
Hi Duta, the museums are also wonderful and I will be going back in the Summer to see some of them :)
DeleteHappy Birthday to your lovely chap!! What a fantastic few days he's had. I bet The Back to the Future musical was great fun, I loved the film.
ReplyDeleteThat photo of the potato merchants under the arches made my heart race that little bit faster, it reminds me of the trading district in Fort Cochin. I've never been to Borough Market and always fancied a visit as I love markets.
Hoorah for a 'Spoons lunch, too - keeping the costs down!!
I've seen the Circus of Horrors at Glastonbury, so entertaining.
Your wreath looks absolutely gorgeous. xxx
Thanks Vix! I hope you get to Borough Market one day - if you do, I will come with you! It's always extra special when they bring the Christmas trees in, the smells are wonderful - you can get hot cider and soak up the atmosphere :)
Delete...the market looks like a treat to me!
ReplyDeleteHi Tom, the best bit about travel (local and abroad) for me is markets - I love to see what people eat, what their washing up bowls and utensils look like, what herbs and spices can be found. We are lucky in London that so many fabulous foods are made and brought fresh and organic to these markets - Borough Market is famous for this - you can buy truffles, oils, spices, cheeses, chutneys, everything you can imagine!
DeleteWhat a super post, Betty. I had to come back and re-read it to make the most of it all. My favourite bit...........the fairy washing line!
ReplyDeleteReally? I don't know how those fairies got that washing up that tree, they also have windows and doors on some of the trees along that walk and I just know they are watching me :)
DeleteSo cool to see another countries Christmas decor! Sounds like you had a great time!
ReplyDeleteWell I think the Eccles cake was very well deserved after all that body pumping gym - swim action Betty! The Circus of Horrors look like a hoot. Free items at the garden centre... I'd want to take them all home :) I did nurse a Hebe from my brother's garden back to health. It looked completely dead and I plonked it in the front garden not hoping for much, but in recent months it has put on healthy growth.
ReplyDeleteLoved hearing of your London jaunt, and the Tate toilets, and the Opera House toilets. Always good to know where a good classy karzy might be. My girls would adore the hourly snow splattering. kettle crisp sandwiches and a cuppa sounds like a brilliant way to end a good day. Big happy birthday to your hubby. Lulu xXx (p.s. those fairies are getting organised)
Market look fun.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
What a wonderful post. I enjoyed every step with you. There will be no train or bus for me! :~) The dried hydrangeas make a beautiful wreath just as they are. Also, glad to see that even the fairies put their wash out to dry.
ReplyDeleteJoyful post! Have fun Betty!
ReplyDeleteHi Betty! That seems like a lovely birthday treat!
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to seeing your finished wreath Betty. I'm sure it will be gorgeous. What a fabulous day out in London you had. Happy birthday to your hubby and thank you for your kind comment on my blog. I'm sorry you had a scary experience out walking. I appreciate your advice.
ReplyDeleteJacquie x
Hello Betty, :=) A very Happy Birthday to your hubby. Your trip to London looked like fun. How I would love to go if only I were younger and had the energy you have, because you packed a lot into your visit. I must remember, if I ever do get the chance of going to London that the Tate Gallery and the Opera House have the best toilet facilities.:=))
ReplyDeleteHello again, I forgot to mention that I enjoyed seeing your photos. By the way, since you said you would like to know what the bird was in my post, it's a first Autumn female Serin, much paler than the bright yellow Summer Serin.
ReplyDeleteI think your day sounds wonderful! My husband adores Borough market and it's been a while since we have been there. Looks like you had a great time. What did you eat at London Chinatown? I love the Golden Hinde- such an exciting thing to spy as you walk along the river! Back to the Future sounds great. I'd like to see it!x
ReplyDelete