Wednesday, 17 November 2021

Behind the House....

The woods are brimming with colour.  Leaves were falling like confetti on my walk yesterday and I can see we are moving towards a late Winter....

These beautiful briony berries are everywhere like glistening necklaces in hedgerows, not for picking though as highly poisonous


This is likely to be poison hemlock (below), giant hogweed is similar (but much bigger) it's not worth taking any chances on picking any of these  - when dry they are harder to identify..  Something like this hurt my hand recently and made it swell.... ladybirds and other bugs hybernate in the stems during Winter.



All the paths are carpeted in leaves, so my muffled footsteps mean I can creep up on squirrels and birds - I have seen a lot of starlings this week - they are in decline in the UK .... I am so lucky to be able to walk out of my door and have this beautiful scenery behind my house...



We had a bright, cloudless sky,  no frosts the last few nights...



Lichen on branches.... lichen does not feed on tree bark, it produces its own food, a sort of solar powered process, so (unlike fungi) is not harmful to trees and is a food source for moths.


Hawthorn berries, abundant just now and a great food source for birds.


pathways like gold coin carpets, glistening in the sun....





I just had to walk through this beautiful golden field (above)


There were fairy toadstools everywhere I walked ....



 I have two weeks annual leave from today.  We should have been abroad but postponed until 2022 so will still have that to look forward to.  We have some days out planned ... back soon.



34 comments:

  1. lovely gorgeous sky and such a beautiful series of images dear Betty ,made me feel as i was walking with you ,fall is splendid there in your part of land indeed

    i see less difference in poisonous berries and tree berries good for birds but i hope all inhabitant of the area must know what to eat and what to avoid .
    best wishes for planning of the trip next year :)
    health ,peace and joy to you and family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people here wouldn't try to eat anything and of course all the berries are a food source for birds and wildlife :)

      Delete
  2. A lovely lyrical post Betty. You describe it all so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are ,indeed, lucky to have such a beautiful scenery behind your house!
    Usually, I wouldn't pick anything wild, just contemplate its beauty.
    Hawthorne berries extract is known as a supplement for heart health.
    Enjoy your annual leave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interestin Duta I didn't know about the extract being used for heart health :)

      Delete
  4. Betty, enjoy your vacation. Hopefully next year we are free to go where we like. Today enjoy the yellow carpet that autumn has given you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You still have so much green and with the pops of red, so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is just poetry in photos. What a beautiful area in which you live -- it's simply magnificent. I'm always leery of picking anything I don't know just in case. It's nice you have the identification.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie that's a lovely comment - thank you ... yes I do have a book and check things I find in the woods but it's easy to get it wrong - some things are best left where we find them anyway as they only shrivel up and die when picked :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos I love the fall berries. Visiting from Rain's blog where she mentioned you today

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you appreciate your surroundings, even of the little things that might be unnoticed. I hope you have a great two weeks of leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by :) I think since Covid arrived we appreciate so many things that were once taken for granted.

      Delete
  9. I really like Hawthorne trees. My parents had one.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is supposed to be a deterrant of witches although my mother, who practised, had plenty of it in the house at certain times of year - it is the most beautiful thing when it's in flower :)

      Delete
  10. I don't know whether the dried hawthorne that I like to eat is from this same Hawthorne tree. Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nancy not sure if it's the same ... our hawthorne as white flowers in Spring :) thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  11. Hello Betty, Your description of your walk, has a wonderful poetic feel about it, "Pathways like gold coin carpets," and "Leaves falling like confetti," made your post
    so enjoyable to read and see.
    Enjoy your leave!:=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it was one of those days when the light was so beautiful I just wanted to capture it in every way possible!

      Delete
  12. beautiful nature photography. You have a good eye for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous photos, Betty nd I have to agree with Breathtaking's comment, your turn of phrase is wonderfully poetic.
    I think you were right to postpone your foreign adventures until next year, I know you'll enjoy every minute of your fortnight's leave - I hope there will be lots of photos! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Vix, we have so much travel to catch up on!

      Delete
  14. Gosh Betty your woods are just stunning. So much lovely colour at this time of year for you. I would've had to walk through that golden field too!! I hope you enjoy your two weeks break Betty & manage to do some things just for You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie - that field was soggy but enjoyable :)

      Delete
  15. Beautiful post Betty! Thank you for sharing your magical woodland walk. Love the path laid with 'gold coins'. You are very lucky indeed to have that behind your house. Hope you have a really good couple of weeks off. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lulu I think I was having a bit of a connect with the universe kind of a day :)

      Delete
  16. What gorgeous colours you saw! I find myself very grateful to be alive when I walk in places like this!x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, Betty. How beautiful and soothing! I felt like that I was walking through a lyrical photo story. Autumn has been so warm and frost hasn’t come yet in my part of the world.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.