Tuesday, 19 October 2021

The New Normal: Autumn creeps in




It seems we have slipped into Autumn.  It's my favourite Season.  I love getting out warm woollies and boots out, cosying the house up with sheepskin rugs and throws, planting up bulbs for next Spring.  So I have been indoors more.

We are going to decorate for Halloween - using things we find in the woods - and pumpkins of course - these are ones the men have done in previous years.....







Last week I helped my friend on her allotment, we prepared a raised bed (I found potatoes for 20p a bag reduced at the garden centre, they should have been planted in August but as the UK weather is mild there's a small chance of success).  she has broccoli, spring onion, lettuce and cauliflower coming along already!  We saw a mouse in her compost pile, a bunny rabbit and an alarming number of slugs!  

I had my flu jab on Friday and walked back through town picking up a library book or two on the way.  I made pizza dough (bread machine does the  hard work) and did all my laundry and housework, then had a little afternoon nap.  Then read my book (Dean Koontz, Intensity- suitably creepy for the Season).

Over the weekend I had a lovely long walk in the woods with hubby collecting beautiful red and yellow Autumn leaves, did a bit of painting and watched Strictly Come Dancing on tv (can't wait to see their costumes  for the Halloween edition)  Anyway... this is my haunted house - lights are on but nobody home - only ghosts......


Have you got your pumpkin yet?



24 comments:

  1. Accurate account of (new normal) Autumn: staying more indoors, taking out warmer clothing items, collecting leaves,decorating for Halloween, reading and watching TV.
    Your 'Haunted House' painting is very good1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Duta, it was fun capturing the atmosphere

      Delete
  2. I too love the Autumn season.
    Haven't got a pumpkin yet ...

    I do like your painting.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan - plenty of time to get the pumpkins in! I am wondering if the white ones appearing in the shops are edible or ornamental

      Delete
  3. Oops! It's autumn not autum. I love this seaon before all the leaves fall. No pumpkins for us though. I love walks to see colors blazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose! I hadn't noticed and it appeared twice but corrected now :) Hope you get lots of colourful leaves on your walks.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful Halloween post! I also love getting out the woolies and boots. The jack-o-lanterns have to be some of the best ever! And I love love that the lights are on but nobody’s home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) There will be another post coming soon so hope you visit again.

      Delete
  5. Those carved pumpkins are fantastic, you've got some very talented menfolk! I love your spooky painting, too.
    I can't say I'm keen on this time of year, I prefer being outside and feeling the sun on my skin - although these warm temperatures are very welcome, I'm still picking strawberries! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. At age 66 I'm looking forward to my first ever experience of Halloween front door decorating and welcoming trick or treaters!
    (I've never lived anywhere before where children have come around)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that painting!!!Very atmospheric.wasn't happy with Saturday's chucked out on Strictly. Wrong couple went! Have made a couple of fabric pumpkins.Weather's very mild here but all set to change at weekend.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. No pumpkin here...I might dig out my little crocheted ones I made last year. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Autumnal here too. I love changing Summery things for warmer cosier items, furry cushions and throws, soft blankets on the beds.
    We dont do pumpkins but I enjoy seeing what other people do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Betty ... its so lovely to see your autumnal posts as we are in full spring mode here. Both seasons I do love. Your pumpkins look wonderful & your woods walk sounds perfect! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely autumn post, I haven't got a pumpkin the past 2 years, the
    Squirrels enjoy them too much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Betty! I think I'll buy a few pumpkins today. I like your little haunted house!
    Fall has come here, too. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ho Betty lovely to meet you, yes Autumn seems to have arrived. Your walks sound wonderful, lovely when the weather is dry and we can go collect those changing leaves. Love your pumpkin display and your spooky Halloween painting, that house looks so creepy. Wishing you a super creative weekend Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely blog you have I made pumpkinsoup my favorite…thanks for your nice comment on my blog have a nice weekend enjoy love Ria 🍀💕🍀

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Betty, I too love this time of year - toffee apples, pumpkin heads, knitted blankets, autumn leaves :) I love your pussy cat pumpkins and spooky house painting. I have a theory that there are so many slugs about as they are hurriedly slithering off to find winter shelter. I have to keep on sweeping them off my path to avoid splatastrophies! Sounds like you've been having fun on t' allotment. Will be interesting to see how the tatties get on... well worth a punt for 20p. Hope you enjoy the dancing this weekend. We sometimes gets dressed up & have a dance along :) Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Betty,:=) Your menfolk did a fine job of decorating the pumpkins. I don't decorate the house at all for Halloween, but just love Pumpkin soup. I have just bought a lovely soft throw for my bed in Autumnal colours. and also love walking through the fallen leaves in the forest where I live. You are very creative, and I think your painting is spooky, I'll bet you enjoyed painting it! I love your silk painted Scarves.

    I have visited the Bath as a tourist, and saw the Roman bathing areas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Betty, I leave you a home remedy to exterminate slug. You have to put some beer inside the lid of a jar. You put the lid flush with the ground and you will see all the dead slugs the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pumpkin craving skill is fantastic.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Betty, I love your pussy cat pumpkins and spooky house painting. Sounds like you've been having fun down t'allotment. Will be interesting to see how the tatties go on... well worth a punt for 20p. I have been noticing lots of slugs marching across the path. I hope they are all busy slithering off for winter! We like a bit of Strictly in this house and quite often get dressed up for the Halloween special. Happy fleckerls to you :) Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Betty,:=) This is my third attempt to comment, as my comments haven't shown up on your post. Fingers crossed that this one will!

    Your menfolk did a great job carving and decorating the Pumpkins. I don't decorate, just eat Pumpkin soup. Your little picture is just right for Halloween, and I have been admiring your silk painted scarves which are really beautiful. You are a very tallented artist. Fingers crossed that this comment shows up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.