Sunday, 24 October 2021

The New Normal: Preparing for Halloween


Hi folks, it's starting to feel a lot like Halloween around here.  I had my paints out this week - Mollie is quite a scary little cat so I put her in my picture.



 I have some plates that we use this time of year.





We will be spending Sunday carving our pumpkins ... this is Hubby's pumpkin from last year.... I have enlarged my printface today - is it easier for you to see? (some visitors find things hard to see....)


I have covered my small work table with stick on vinyl to avoid damage while the lemon trees come inside for Winter.  My blogging buddy Vix had this vinyl and shared the seller but it's taken me over a year to get round to using it.


I like having pumpkins around - my favourite colour.


This is a lovely book I dip into at this time of year.  The author is a local.  It has recipes using things foraged in the hedgerows.






Look at these beautiful fungi, there are lots of them growing in the woods - I don't pick fungi, too risky - these look like waxcaps and are prettiest right where they are.



There are plenty of beautiful leaves in the woods too, I took some to dry for painting inspiration.



Yesterday we went to London for the afternoon to take our oldest son his winter boots and we had lunch together, it was so lovely to have him all afternoon.   On the way back we stopped at Ikea to stock up on candles and tea lights for Winter/Christmas (and Halloween).  


Today we are going to carve a pumpkin, I will be back at the weekend!  Have you got your pumpkin carved yet?  There's so much inspiration on the internet it's hard to choose!  For those who haven't time to carve, some people are painting beautiful patterns on theirs.








14 comments:

  1. Your font is just right Betty. It is sometimes hard to read very small print now.
    Although Autumn is not my favourite season there is so much beauty in the garden and in the hedges now, with berries and leaves turning such pretty colours.
    PS Cat is very well thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,:=) Cute painting with the ghost and cat. Your book is beautiful, and I'm sure it is full of interesting remedies, and info about wild plants. I have a similar one, but it doesn't have recipes. It must have been lovely to meet up with your son. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your husband for the excellent carving of the pumpkin. Unfortunately Hallowen is not celebrated around here. Very cute your cat looking curiously behind the pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must plan our Halloween dinner. The grands are trick or treating with neighbor kids that live near us. We'll just answer the door!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll buy a carving pumpkin if my daughter wants to take it in, but otherwise I have a ceramic one from my mom I use. I'll get a few pumpkin s for decorating and then to scoop for puree. Love your plates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an artistic family you all are! New thing round here is for some farms to grow a pumpkin patch and then charge the earth to go and pick your own. Co-op has pumpkins for £1 at the moment. I remember the days when we used to scoop out turnips for lanterns. Can still smell the melted wax inside the burnt turnip! I prefer to make mine from fabric. Last a lot longer! Have a good week Betty. Will write soon.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your painting Betty & I am so pleased you included Mollie in it as she is a bit scary looking at times. Loving all the pumpkins - such a pretty time of year as it is here too with all the spring growth. How wonderful to go spend time with your son. Have a great new week Betty. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such fun! Aren't leaves a joy to paint at this time of year? I haven't done this seasons yet (our trees are still more green than they should be) but I'm looking forward to it! I love all your decorations, your painting and that wonderful covering you chose for your table. That's really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your ghostly painting. Usually I do a jack o Lantern. Not this year. Money got a little tight, my work hours got cut in half.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. The vinyl looks absoltelu brilliant, doesn't it make a difference?
    Your painting is fab, Mollie's face is an absolute picture.
    I love how excited you are about Hallowe'en, that pumpkin is incredible! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Betty! I LOVE that book!!!!!!!! Oh and the plates! Tomorrow is pumpkin carving day for me. Halloween is fun, all about celebrating....then Samhain is about spirituality for me, I have so much planned! ☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh look at that little Mollie head sticking out, with eyes as orange as the pumpkins. Lovely! What a good idea covering the table with vinyl, it looks great.

    Your apothecary book looks interesting and suitably witchy. I love fungi season. You spotted some fab ones there.

    We've had a tip off that a local farm is selling warty pumpkins, so we hope to pick one up before halloween. I am always a bit sad to cut into them though, so like you, just sit them around the house. Hope you enjoy the spooky weekend Betty. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.