This week we have turned the page into Autumn, I have the heating on and am wearing warmer clothes. Also wanting to eat warm foods - I made a spicy lentil soup for lunch....
In the conservatory the houseplants are still warm enough - this pottos plant has something strange sprouting - a flower?
In the garden the creeper is turning red, it is climbing along the shed and fence and looks spectacular.
I dug out one of the borders - it was thick with roots from the woods that have crept in. It took 3 hours! I went to the garden centre and found roses half price so bought two yellow and one peach floribunda for this patch. I also planted tulips.
I brought out some pumpkin tealights and our son bought an apple cinnamon candle.....
I made beetroot hummus - it's delicious - very easy, just roast beetroot blended with tinned chick peas and some seasoning/fresh garlic and oil.
I made another soup - this ones thick vegetable with a little macaroni.
My lemon tree keeps giving, it still has two huge lemons and its sister is growing some small ones and is flowering.
This corner has got a bit overgrown so may be my next gardening project.
I haven't felt like painting lately and I know I have missed a couple of months of my art journal - maybe I will catch up when the mood returns - but I was looking through things I painted in years gone by for inspiration...
Blackberries never really happened this year - they formed, then we had heavy rains and they didn't fully develop. They are now shrivelling up on the bushes, somewhat mouldy, brown and squishy.
Leaves are just starting to fall now - the creeper in my garden has turned red - that is how I determine the Seasons - by that creeper and what it does - it will show the earliest signs of Spring too next year.
There are plenty of chestnuts in the woods, the squirrels take them quickly, I enjoy finding the discarded skins with the odd gleaming jewel still intact where they missed one! Conkers - plenty of those, and rosehips - some say a lot of hips on the bushes indicates a hard Winter ahead - well there are an abundance this year.
Pumpkins - we usually carve a few at Samhain/Halloween - I painted these a few years ago in an an experiment when I cracked my shoulder and couldn't use my left hand - I found I could use my right and painted these - I think that means I am ambidextrous!
I have been on the waiting list for an allotment for some years (for overseas bloggers an allotment is a small piece of land the local authority rent out so you can grow vegetables, usually there are about 60 plots on a site so there tends to be a long waiting list). My friend's name came up though and she has offered to share until mine transpires. I am going up there to help her dig some manure in tomorrow:)
How are your preparations going for Autumn?
Oh I have garden envy. I need to dig out so much yard clutter and start fresh. I'm looking forward to cooking with the autumn vegetables.
ReplyDeleteCooking isn't my thing - if we were neighbours I would grow the veg and trade it with you for some cooking!
DeleteHow exciting to have your own part-allotment. I bet you are planning all sorts of interesting planting.
ReplyDeleteIt is a soup making season now isnt it.
Well I have said it will only be helping out, I dont want to take any of her allotment away as she is enjoying it - my turn will come - but it will be fun to help/learn and we will share some of the produce.
DeleteA lovely autumnal post Betty! Your soups look so yummy. You have inspired me to make some this weekend. The beetroot humus looks perfect for some vampire halloween action - maybe minus the garlic :0 How amazing is your pumpkin painting!... and to think you did it with your other hand! Very kind of your friend to share her allotment plot with you. Hope you have a wonderful digging day. I will be stocking up on some more toffee apples, I just love this time of year :) Lulu xXx
ReplyDeleteoh yummy, toffee apples, I do still love them so might have to treat myself. What a great idea with the beetroot hummus for Halloween - I don't really do 'scary food' these days but this would go down a treat.
DeleteOh such a wonderful post for our beloved October. It is definitely the month for cleaning up and settling in those old summer beds and borders. I love you paintings and look forward to what comes next for your art journal.
ReplyDeleteI love having a good old tidy out indoors and out. Thanks - I will have to pull my socks up and get some journal painting done next.
DeleteIt's warmer outside than it is in my house! Hottest place in Scotland is half an hour away from me. That can all change very quickly and it rained overnight! Great work in your garden. Mine is covered in leaves from the trees but the Rowan berries are still resplendently orange and really cheery on grey days. The girls did a little Halloween vignette for me yesterday so that will do for now but I love your pumpkins, ceramic and painted. I think a whole allotment is a lot of work for one person unless you can spend everyday there. Sharing is a great idea. Hope Mollie's well, wonder if Halloween's her favourite season!xxx
ReplyDeleteleaves are good - dig them in when they go brown - my friend has been walking round with a wheelbarrow collecting leaves off some hedges near the allotment and digging it all in. Hope you can do a post of the vignette. Plans for Edinburgh are taking shape - can't wait!
DeleteYippee!!! x
DeleteYes, autumn and winter are the 'soup' seasons.
ReplyDeleteI love your paintings; so delicate and yet so clear and close to reality!
I envy you for the lemon tree. I often use lemons, for a sore throat, in food, as a cleaning agent.
Hi Duta, I thought lemons would grow so easily in your climate! we are lucky then - most people here buy them as ornaments I am surprised mine have been so productive!
DeleteOh I must try the beetroot hummus. I’m not a huge fan of beetroot but I know it’s really good for us and blended into a hummus might be just the thing. Beautiful artwork - what a lovely way to mark the changing seasons. X
ReplyDeleteThank you for visiting my blog - glad you enjoyed the post and hope you do try the hummus it looks amazing (very appropriate for Halloween I guess!)
DeleteOoh I must try the beetroot hummus. Beautiful artwork - what a wonderful way to mark the changing seasons.
ReplyDeletethanks - yes try the hummus its so delicious you could do it with ready cooked beetroot if time challenged
ReplyDeleteA lovely autumnal post Betty. I think the pumpkin tealights & your sons apple cinnamon candle sound just so wonderful. All your cooking looks very tempting & delicious. Happy Weekend to you Betty. xx
ReplyDeleteThank you Julie, I love that apple cinnamon candle we should stock up for the darker nights I think
DeleteI like lentil and spilt pea soup. With having job, my hubby does lot of things around place.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
My hubby does more cooking than me for the same work/life balance reasons Dora and it works really well for us too - I love anything with lentils in the mix and it's so good for us :)
DeleteYour post is very exiting Betty ..the colors, the food, !
ReplyDeleteAh yes, well your part of the World are the experts I would say on producing colourful dishes! the markets here are not nearly as colourful as yours either although at this time of year it is more exciting to see all the root vegetables and so much greenery coming in.
DeleteHi Betty! :) Firstly, I LOVE your pumpkin painting! I hope you feel motivated to get back to art soon, you do it so well. ☺ The lentil soup looks so homey and comforting...and beetroot hummus! Never heard of it, but would love to try it! The pumpkin tealights are adorable!!! I'm preparing for Monday, it's our Thanksgiving and I am making quite a feast. Lots and lots of comfort food!!! :)
ReplyDeleteHi Rain, sorry to be so late replying I have visited since you did the Thanksgiving post and all your food looked so warming and homely - comfort is the thing! Thanks ref painting, I don't have so much time lately and have a problem with my hand but have been dabbling a bit this month.
DeleteI love beetroot hummus too - and it's great with some garlic, lemon juice, bit of tahini or peanut butter and some toasted cardamom seeds. Gives it all a real kick! I love lentil soup - yours looks fabulous. X
ReplyDeleteooh how delicious - I am going to try adding these extras next time - I love peanut butter - great excuse to buy some. Am wondering how you use the cardamom as I have only used them in water to flavour rice when it's cooking
DeleteThank you for sharing that beetroot hummus recipe, I might have to give that a bash!
ReplyDeleteYour garden is looking lovely, those lemons!! Our Virginia Creeper is on the turn, I'm up to my ankles in leaves but I'm trying to ignore it and am still enjoying my geraniums and dahlias and walking around in flipflops and bare arms.
I love your painting! xxxx
Thank you Vix - I enjoy painting at this time of year the most as all my favourite colours are on the palette. We have creeper too - I love it when it turns red - it's so short lived but beautiful.
Deletedear Betty your autumn looks exquisite and delicious :)
ReplyDeletei loved the photos from your yard garden specially the creeper looks stunning !
i can see how fall is decorating your house so beautifully ,it's mesmerizing indeed .
your soups looks mouth watering ,i too used to make red lentil soup almost everyday during winter and for years ,i never got tired of it lol ,my kids prefer chicken soup more .hubby likes veggie most though.
best wishes for your seasonal plantations. i liked your purchase for Halloween :)
your old art is lovely as well as new one . the chestnut hunt sounds great .
how sweet of your friend to offer you to share her allotment area :) best of luck for all you do !
health ,peace and joy to you and family!
Thank you Baili. We are so lucky to have this little garden, it's sheltered by the woods behind us - I should grow vegetables instead of a grass lawn really!
DeleteHello Betty, I come to greet you from Argentina, I have met you through Nancy's blog. From now on I am a follower of yours (the 1st. On the left ... hehehe!)
ReplyDeleteIt's spring around here, so we put the comforting soups aside, but every now and then they come in handy. I love pumpkin soup!
Kisses Betty and we will continue reading.
https://siempreseraprimavera.blogspot.com/
How lovely to have a visitor from such a distant country, I will visit you! thank you for stopping by. Isn't this the best reason for blogging? meeting people from parts of the World we would love to visit - it's like a window on another World :)
DeleteHello Betty,:=) Thank you for following my blog. Your's Autumn post is just filled with delicious looking soups, and other recipes. I eat homemade soup every day, but must try your Beetroot hummus. You have a lovely garden. I love your Virginia Creeper, and personally like a natural looking garden,..a little overgrown!! I can't do much gardening these days, so maybe that's my excuse!!:=) You paint,lovely watercolours. I have enjoyed my visit very much.:=)
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by, it is lovely to have complimenets of course but I think I should do more with my garden so maybe next year I will widen my border and get more plants growing - I am thinking of introducing some 'weeds' herbs to create a natural balance
DeleteIt sounds like a lovely fall and I really do like those paintings you shared. They're very fall, too!
ReplyDeleteHello Betty,:=) I came back to look at more of your water colour paintings, and was surprised to see my earlier comment for some reason wasn't posted. I love homemade soup, and eat it all year round. Your recipes look good, and the beetroot hummus is something new I haven't yet tried. Thank you for following my blog. Will visit again soon.:=)
ReplyDeleteOh really sorry I didn't look at the comments for ages (to be honest I don't expect to get many! I am not the best blogger!) It is lovely that you came back to look at my paintings - I joke when I sit down to paint that I am going to have a moment pretending to be a famous artist lol! I should make more time for things like this, am lucky to have a talent to share :)
Delete