Sunday, 1 August 2021

The New Normal - Weekend Away


This weekend we made our annual pilgrimage to Somerset and skipped over the border to the neigbouring county of Devon.
We stayed at the Duke of Wellington (Wetherspoons) in Minehead
and visited Dunster, Porlock, Lynton and Lynmouth



Porlock


We drove up Porlock Hill which is incredibly steep (1:4 gradient) 
As a child I spent all my holidays in my granny's little cottage on this hill on a hairpin bend 
 At the top you arrive on Exmoor, where
we stopped to pick heather.




Porlock (this conversion is now a 5 bed house and was recently on the market)


Porlock church



At the top of the hill you come on to Exmoor - Lorna Doone country - if you haven't read the book it would certainly inspire you to visit!  The heather was just beautiful - a landscape of pink/purple as far as the eye could see with the backdrop of the beach below.



The road eventually takes you back downhill into Lynmouth









The Exmoor ponies are wild and free to roam but their numbers are managed with grids/gates to ensure even coverage of the landscape/vegetation.  We were lucky enough to encounter a group of ponies.

We drove on to Lynmouth, which I loved as a child, mainly for the funicular cliff railway built in 1890 and powered by water, to get people up the steep hill into the small village of Lynton above.  It's always been a tourist attraction but I hadn't been on the ride for over 45 years!  Hubby had never been before and loved it.  Payment is now by contactless card and the little yellow tickets I remembered from childhood are now displayed in their museum!  Rather than ride back down the cliff, we took the very steep, woodland walk back down with beautiful views of Lynmouth harbour below.


Lynton & Lynmouth funicular railway






We had ice cream made at a local farm and then sat on the harbour side and shared chips.






The wall murals above were in an alleyway leading to the washroom of a tiny cafe in Lynmouth.
Aren't they beautiful?







Lynmouth harbour


Did I mention orange is my favourite colour lol!







In the afternoon we drove over to my grandparents grave at Dunster church and I left some of the
heather I had picked that morning.


A posing opportunity on Saturday evening - I bought this dress in the Monsoon sale early in the year and this was its first outing.


On Sunday we had planned to go to the beach but there was torrential rain and dark skies so we decided to beat the traffic and go home (it took 5 hours but an improvement on the outward journey which, due to heavy traffic, had been 6 1/2 hours).... souvenirs were some 'Bees Knees' cider from a local orchard and a very large bunch of Exmoor heather picked whilst chatting with the Exmoor ponies!






33 comments:

  1. Hello Betty, looks like you had a lovely time. It must have been so exciting as a kid to stay with your granny in that cottage. Porlock Hill, I know the one!!! We encountered it on a trip to Devon a couple of years ago. Terrifying to drive - I thought the car was going to topple backwards. And what a bum burner it must be to walk! The railcart looks like great fun. I have a feeling I visited Lynmouth as a kid (would have to confer with the elders). You look great in orange and beautiful in that Monsoon dress. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure if you went up Porlock Hill, Lulu, you didn't stop there so must have been to Lynmouth (unless your parents were hoping to lose you on Exmoor of course)... yes I used to listen to the noise of cars backfiring as they struggled up that hill - just think, one of those cars was yours!

      Delete
  2. How very fun! I would want to move there! You look great in orange. I love it! Thank you for sharing your getaway with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are thinking of moving their! not sure as it's where my grandparents lived and so I have maybe too much association with the area but thinking about it.

      Delete
  3. Not sure if I mention this or not. But my part of my family came from the village of Wetheral, Carlisle. I like colorful painted doors.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlisle isn't near there but it's a beautiful area too - Cumbria has some amazing countryside.

      Delete
  4. Love all the photos. Those murals are lovely. Love the historic buildings and stone roads and railway! Wonderfully enchanting! I know the Lorna Doone story I saw as a musical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the story as a child although it's sad - never seen the musical - should think that would be something.

      Delete
  5. Memory Lane! In the late 40s and 50s all our family holidays were taken in the West Country as we had to visit my dad's sister living in Exeter on the way or way back. Bigbury, Ilfracombe and Truro featured a lot. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to have memories going back that far - mine only stretch back as far as the 60s and I think it hasn't changed much.

      Delete
  6. What a nice getaway. It's a lovely part of the world, though it is ages since I've been there. Sadly lorna Doone was never a favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorna Doone is a sad story I know :) but I could imagine her walking across the moors in all that heather :)

      Delete
  7. i LOVED this trip dear Betty ,thank you sooo much for taking aong ,i really enjoyed !

    views are Gorgeous!
    Porlock sounds amazingly beautiful place to visit indeed,ride that you enjoyed after 45 years looks fun :)
    i liked the wall mural so much .
    oh you look quite young and more pretty in orange which i though is pink at first :)

    your pose in second dress is lovely and elegant wow!!!!!!!!!!
    such a pretty dress and you carried it so well :)
    blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Baili - I think I will always enjoy visiting the area. Isn't that wall mural fabulous! If I ever get a suitable wall I would like one too!

      Delete
  8. What a lovely weekend away you had, some fabulous photos. I've never been to any of those places. Lymouth looks really pretty, I love a narrow cobbled street!
    You look fabulous in orange and an absolute goddess in your Monsoon dress! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to visit some time Vix there's so much to do. You have been close of course (Glastonbury) it's not too much further along the A303 :)

      Delete
  9. A good trip indeed!
    And a nice Monsoon dress too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GZ I couldn't believe my dress was half price - very pleased.

      Delete
  10. What a fabulous holiday. These towns are so charming and the scenery is just fabulous -- all the better for you since it was home base for your youth. As one who comes as a tourist to the UK from the US, we tend to see spots that are less local (still lovely, interesting and fun) but this is just something where one could see something so beautiful where people who live in the UK visit, not necessarily the big cities. Much as if you were coming to my state and seeing spots we go on holiday. The photos are great -- love the harbor and the funicular railway, your Monsoon dress, everything! (Thanks for stopping by today, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of tourists do go to that area to see Exmoor - some people like the horse riding and the walking (some ofwhich are guided so you don't get lost!) you need a hire car though :)

      Delete
  11. Love that you visited your Grandparents' grave and left the heather for them. Looks like you both had a lovely time away in such a lovely place. You look beautiful in your Monsoon dress and you really suit anything orange! Thanks for sharing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. Yes I always go to the grave - I feel like my grandmother is 'there' - she always used to take a walk up the woods behind the graveyard and I feel like she is there - in a good way:)

      Delete
  12. What lovely places to visit especially where you used to visit as a child. It all looks beautiful and so clean.
    That orange dress suits you perfectly.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excited to have stumbled across your blog a few weeks after taking a family holiday in this same area! I clutched the seat all the way up Porlock Hill, I must admit! And we enjoyed several lovely markets and events in Dunster - my fiance liked it so much he wants to move there. So nice to see your pictures and reminisce.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh - and we also enjoyed a flagon of Bees Knees 😂

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great trip, I've been pondering a trip that way and now you have made my mind up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely place...would love to visit someday

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great trip, superb photos of beautiful places such as Porlock Hill, Lynmouth, wall murals, peonies,the funicular, the harbor.
    Above all, your new, lovely dress bought on Sale, which greatly becomes you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely little getaway, it looks so relaxing. That orange colour really suits you Betty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I could go again, this is such a nice place.
    It’s nice to relax in Summer.
    I love your dress!
    To answer your question yes women can go in Abu Dhabi mosque with something on their head.
    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous trip - I've been to some of those places, and saw some on TV recently. Well done you! X

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, that looks a lovely break away.
    Loved all of your photographs and I like your new dress :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.