Monday, 26 July 2021

The New Normal: July Painting Journal




 Some dabbling with paints, deadly nightshade (poisonous) and knapweed.  Dabbling with the sourdough is still in progress with a 50/50 chance of success - the amount of folding and resting involved in the process has been disheartening and is not over yet ...


 


Thank you for the good wishes/comments for our 39th wedding anniversary; we had a quiet day at home, pottering in the garden.  



We decided at the last minute not to bother going to the pub and watched catch up of Baptiste, ate sausages/veggie sausages, mash and mushy peas followed by pink gin (new to me) and tonic.



Red valerian is my new favourite 'weed', I have found some growing out of paving cracks and took a cutting.   The root is used to calm nerves and my little cat is benefitting from it in the form of Pet Rescue,




 suspended in oil and plugged in to a low volt diffuser it smells quite nice/earthy and it definitely makes her calmer.  It would be too labour intenstive to make my own so I have ordered more supplies online, I think the plant would be lovely in my border if it takes.



Wild yarrow.  I used acrylic paint for this to get some texture.  It's growing all over the place here but I would never pick it as both yarrow and queens lace are very similar to poison hemlock which tends to have more flowering heads and some purple to the stem.  Hemlock really is poisonous, even picking it is not safe.

We had torrential rain and thunder/lightening on Sunday - Mollie cat was petrified, she rejected the cat igloo, cupboard, spare bedroom and cowered on the stairs.    We kept our distance as she is prone to 'redirect' (attack the nearest thing, i.e. me).  She settled later with the help of her valerian diffuser.


Many people in the UK have been affected by flooding - I hope you're not one of them.  Climate change is certainly making itself seen and heard now and can no longer be ignored.



It's work for the next three days, late shifts.  On Friday we are having a little weekend away in the country so will update my blog on our return.  Judging by the weather and terrain it will be walking boots, raincoat and rucksack!







12 comments:

  1. Valerian is good..a friend makes Plague Rats..stuffed with a mix of Valerian and Catnip! Cats love them.
    Great to have a garden for art inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated 39th Anniversary. somehow, by the time I got finished reading your previous post, I had forgotten about the anniversary.

    Flooding and wild fires, and extreme heat seems to be plaguing many countries. So many people suffering losses of their homes and belonging.

    I grew catnip for the cats years ago and they would become ecstatic over it.

    We've been having rainy weather with the occasional sunshine for weeks. Everything s growing well but not good haying weather for farmers. There will be shortage of hay if it continues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the painting in your journal. I don't paint often enough from life-- these really capture the beauty of the wildflowers you see.

    Lizzie had the same reaction to our thunder storm this weekend -- she spent it in the linen closet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I would love to ever-so-slowly turn through the pages of your painting journal. I love love both your red valerian and Wild Yarrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your wild yarrow painting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm liking the sound of your anniversary celebrations, booze and good TV, always good!
    Lovely photo of Mollie-Cat, I'm glad the valerian's doing the trick and your artwork is just stunning, as always.
    Hope you have a wonderful trip away and won't need sensible clothing for all of it. Let's hope the kaftans and Anokhi prints get an outing, too! xxx
    We have yarrow in the wildflower lawn out front, it's so pretty and gets lots of love from passers-by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful wild flower paintings Betty! Red valerian grows in the stone walls and hedgerows down here and I love it. I keep on meaning to grab some seeds and artistically dance scatter it in the garden. Poor Mollie cat with the thunder, glad she finally settled. Hope you have a lovely break and I look forward to hearing about it when you get back. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just catching up on Kindle. Google still haven't issued an update so basically me and thousands of other Chromebook users are left with a very expensive paperweight!Have a great weekend away.ps Love the new etchings! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated 39th Anniversary.
    I do like your paintings, they are beautiful.
    Hope you had a nice break.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you have a lovely weekend away in the country Betty. I know a young man who burns lavender oil in a diffuser to calm his two dogs also - anything thats helpful like that is a win in my books. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live by the coast and Love the wild flowers. We have lots of Evening Primrose at the moment and its lovely.
    No flooding here but feel so much for those enduring it.
    Have a lovely weekend. X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.