Friday, 23 July 2021

The New Normal: Wearing my suitcase


No holidays on the horizon, seems a shame to keep the holiday clothes in a suitcase - so I gave my hand printed kaftan an airing, ideal for a work from home day this heatwave week, lovely and cool but a bit big - I have lost some weight since I bought some of the things I am wearing here  so might get the old sewing machine out for an alteration or two.   The kaftan is from a lady in Brighton who I have got to know well - she has the cottons printed and made up in India so can offer some really good prices.



I went walking twice in the woods - the fields have changed, the white daisies died off and there are a huge variety of seedhead grasses this week.



and loads of this pretty yellow vetch



Another item from the 'holiday suitcase'  an Anokhi skirt with my favourite vintage Anokhi top (both EBay wins in previous years)  you can't go wrong with Anokhi - everything goes with everything even if the pattern clashes in my opinion!


AS I work lates, I got the chance to go to the gym in the mornings this week nice and early (before it got too hot) and do a couple of bodypump (weight lifting) classes.  Next week our gym are offering a free taster with a personal trainer so I booked myself in - why not!  Should be fun.



No idea what this is - could be an orchid although I suspect not, will have to look it up - any idea?


I have been reading this very funny book on my tablet (library download - which I am preferring as they have a better selection online than the physical library lately)


At school from the age of 13, my best friend was a girl from a similar culture/background to the writer., I spent more time at her home than my own.  Her huge family were so much fun, so welcoming - the book brought back lots of memories for me - a kitchen full of pots of steaming curries, singing with my friend and her sisters into our hairbrushes (microphones) to The Three Degrees  on her little record player, sharing one of her big sisters cigarettes amongst 6 of us and hoping her mum wouldn't burst into the room! ... being allowed to choose trendy cheesecloth tops and maxi skirts at trade price from her dad's big checked shopper bags - crammed full of stock for his little shop.  Sleepovers on their lovely woven silk and cotton floor rugs in rooms that always smelled of joss sticks, jasmine perfume and late night spicy poppadoms with milk) .... this book has certainly reminded me of some very happy teenage years..... 




The bees had finished with the lavender, the flowers died off so I cut two of the bushes back and dried  the seeds to make lavender bags - haven't done that for a few years - might silk paint the bags.



Dinners this week have been no effort at all - salad, hummus, haloumi, olives, veggie burgers, a very nice higgidy cheese and broccoli flan, the only cooking was a 5 minute stir fry veg and noodles.



Another holiday suitcase item - my Indian silk sari skirt (All About Audrey, Brighton), this is lovely and light/cool to wear - I'm not very photogenic and hate looking at the camera!  it was a lazy day with no shoes and a crumpled top (another Anokhi via good old EBay of course!).


It's our 39th wedding anniversary this weekend - we thought it would be nice to spend it doing a few good long walks, sunbathing in the garden and eating scones with cream :)  Looking forward to Sunday too as our oldest son is visiting on his way back through Gatwick Airport from a lads weekend in Edinburgh and younger son returns from a weekend away, so I will make a lentil dhal and a big chicken curry for the men - the only cooking I really enjoy is curry!

I frequently delete posts as I never get round to publishing them, so before that happens to this one - I am pressing the button - thanks for passing this way, comments are always welcome.








21 comments:

  1. I'm delighted that you pressed "publish" and I got to see three fabulous outfits! You look gorgeous and I know what you mean about looking at the camera, I just can't do it and look "normal"!
    Your Halloumi tea looks wonderful and aren't those Higeddy veggie things tasty? Tony treats me to one when he goes upmarket and shops in Sainsburys!
    That book looks good - Santhnam's a local lad and has done a few reports on Central News. Walsall has a huge Sikh population, Punjabi is the second most widely spoken language after English. I loved going to my Punjabi friends' houses for tea after school, the food, Hindi movies and filmi music always seemed so much more interesting and colourful!
    Have a happy anniversary and a wonderful weekend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love the book Vix, I still love those Bollywood films the colourful costumes/music!

      Delete
  2. Nice to catch up with you Betty. I love your collection of skirts and dresses, and imagine they are very light to wear in this hot weather.
    I think your plant is one of the Stachys/Betony group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're right I just looked/saw your email - thankyou. Yes, anything light and loose is welcome in this heat.

      Delete
  3. I love your clothes which are just right for the hot weather. I enjoyed hearing about your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your clothes are lovely Betty & look nice & cool in your heat. I wish I had lost weight - I am the opposite unfortunately & finding it a real struggle to lose a bit. Will you rub the lavender off the stalks before putting it into bags? It can be a bit scratchy otherwise I find. Have a great weekend Betty & happy wedding anniversary. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lost weight I think thanks to my rowing machine, but not in the 'right places' lol. I didn't use all of the lavender parts - I dried it and allowed the seed to drop and then gathered the seeds only and picked out any sharp bits - the flowers had already died off as I had left them as long as possible for the bees.

      Delete
  5. I actual wear quite a few dresses in such in hot season.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. would love to see you in some of them Dora :)

      Delete
  6. Love the garden shots. This weekend is my birthday! Not gonna say which!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Rose - many happy returns!! have read the news in your area about the wildfires - hope you are safe.

      Delete
  7. Lovely post Betty and you look great in your holiday wardrobe. What a great memory of your teenage days, I can smell the joss sticks! I still have my silk lavender bags that you sent me, they do a great job keeping the moths away from my winter wollies.This is a Kindle comment, still no luck with Chromebook. Happy Nearly Ruby Anniversary!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne.. Im surprised those bags are still in service! I have a few too and they still smell nice. Ruby next year is it then? well I must look out some roses/plants that have ruby in the name to commemorate that big one then!

      Delete
  8. hello Aiste I think in the UK we dont wear dresses often enough, everyone resorts to jeans and t shirts and dresses get kept for 'best' around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is only in the past few months that I have found your blog and I enjoy every one of your post.You look lovely in those outfits!.Hope you have a lovely weekend.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Holiday wardrobe, it definitley needs to be out and about not sat waiting in the suitcase !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your suitcase clothing looks very comfortable and leisurely for summer. Having your own personal trainer sounds exciting. You'll probably will lose more weight and have muscles of steel.

    Enjoy the rest of July. It's going fast.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Indian skirts and dresses. Kaftans I brought from Dubai bought in the Creek.
    The flamingoes I posted are wild ones and live in a remote area of Dubai.
    Enjoy your family visits.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Betty, you have the right idea with all those lovely floaty clothes for this hot, humid weather! I cracked my summer dress suitcase open the other week.. should have done it weeks ago :0 Not sure what the mystery plant is, but I have been gifted a book on wildflowers, so will look out for it. My best friend when I was little was Hindu. Her family were so generous with their sari fabrics, bangles and home cooked foods. Good times. Happy anniversary to you and your man. Hope you've had a wonderful weekend. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Betty! :) Happy Anniversary! :) Oh you look so pretty in your dresses. They look really comfy. You dinners look delicious! Lavender bags...what a great idea! I hope I can find some time to walk in my woods soon, I want to see what wild lovely plants I have out there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look wonderful in your pretty outfits! I love your wafty Anokhi skirts and tops and that Kaftan is gorgeous!!! I agree about wearing your Summer clothes- definitely needs to be done. They are garments which make us feel good about ourselves and remind us of happy times!
    I must look out for that book- it sounds great!
    I teach lots of wonderful Sikh children at school and some of my best friends at school were Sikh so I'd be really interested in it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.