Monday, 19 July 2021

The New Normal: Heat Wave Weekend



Yesterday was the last day of the Government restrictions in England.  As of today where we can go, whether we wear a mask, keeping our distance is now up to the people.  Employers, pubs, restaurants and supermarkets will enforce the rules they feel are necessary.  I am thinking this over whilst drinking my coffee in the garden with Mollie cat for company - nasturtiums are climbing the window!




 On Saturday I was up early and did some rowing on our machine, then did a quick watercolour of the big daisies I had seen in the fields around here.  I think they are marguerite.



Then I worked all day, it was very hot in the conservatory but I had a fan on and the doors open which helped.  The evening was spent finishing the last couple of episodes of Queens Gambit (story of an orphan who grows into a professional chess player) it was very good.

On Sunday hubby and I always go to the gym, he goes on the cardio equipment and I do a bodypump weight lifting class.  The green stickers on the studio floor showing us where we can stand to ensure distancing had been removed, I felt uncomfortable about it - something we have to get used to having back - the freedom to take up space.

On return I fitted some new handles to a chest of drawers as the originals were broken - I also removed the rugs in the conservatory and cleaned the floor down so it's nice and cool, watered all the thirsty pot plants and brushed Mollie cat.


We made stir fry for lunch and then sunbathed in the garden nearly all day and I finished my library book

Source: Amazon

 (although 'odd' my mother was not a psychopath as far as I know, yet there are some disturbing similarities to my own childhood).  

My next book is  about the housing crisis in the UK, highlighted by the writers decision to live in a shed.

Source: Amazon

At 5pm we went for a short walk through the woods and back via the pub which is on the edge of the woods and very near the house.  It was lovely to sit outside under their huge tent and be served cold gin and tonic with lots of lemon and mint.  We were told it's the last time they will be seating us, distancing our tables and bringing our drinks to us.  From 19th it's back to normal.




We had a light tea of hummus, olives, pan fried haloumi cheese, salad and flat bread. I spent ages watering the garden - a job I love as everything smells so fresh afterwards.  I cut the lavender as the bees have finished with it, I am going to dry it today in the sun.


I found valerian - there's lots of it growing wild around here....





There are lots of wildflowers around the estate as the Council haven't cut the verges back this year - lots more insects too (bees, ladybirds, dragonflies) as a result which is great - not sure if it's because they are making cutbacks but it's better for the planet so I'm all for it!





Hedges lining the fields around here are brimming with wildflowers...



This was painting inspiration....



I remembered to feed the yeast I had started over the weekend - by the end of the week I should have live yeast and be able to make my own sourdough - fingers crossed for a freshly made loaf on Friday.  We have a bread machine but I have only made wholemeal or white bread as didn't know how to start live yeast - it seems easy - just feed it some flour and water every day until it bubbles.  Hope it works :)

This week I am going to wear my holiday clothes, we finally have Summer full on and it's a shame to hide pretty things in a drawer.  Work from home continues for the moment so there's no dress code here.... 

Last week I had a few hours in Brighton as hubby was there for work and dropped me off - I love walking around looking at the art that has popped up on walls and then heading for the beach to find hagstones (stones with holes) which I collect.



Look at this lovely pub flower display 





I always sit right here ....


Saw this in a shop - reminded me of Mollie!



Back soon - have a great week.




16 comments:

  1. What a great post. Love the sunbathing pic! I never knew that pink plant was Valerian. I took a cutting the other week from a museum garden that we visited. It's coming on a treat.Love the daisy painting too. Have a great week, Betty.Will write later.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Anne, well I think it's Valerian, according to my little book of herbs. Good to know it will grow from a cutting not the root, so I am off to pick some :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely to see all the wild flowers. Our verges remain uncut so I hope it's an effort to regenerate wild flowers again. I dont welcome 'Freedom Day'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it beautiful I hope they dont cut the verges until the end of Summer.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful daisy painting Betty. Gosh, I remember when the old Brighton pier was still a pier before the mystery speed boat torched it. I've been at work today, but luckily everyone is still doing masks and distancing. It's going to take a while for me to stop walking in big circles around people :0 Those noodles look reet tasty, can I come round for lunch? and a G& T please ;) ??? Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. g&t yes bring lots of mint from your lovely garden please and we can have a G&T fest over at mine. We collect glasses from various pubs so do try to bring something for the collection, I wish they would at least put fairy lights on that pier - it's sort of beautiful isn't it?

      Delete

  4. Thanks for visiting my blog. It nice to know that life is getting back to normal in the UK. It's been so long, that it will take some time getting to normal. It's the same here. We are proceeding with caution.

    You are surrounded by beautiful wild flowers. It reminds me of my childhood when I picked wild berries in the fields and there were beautiful flowers growing everywhere.

    A short walk to the pub for refreshment sound like a perfect way to end the day.

    Enjoy the rest of July.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, don't think it will ever be what we thought was normal ever again tbh but I feel for the younger generation who want to get out and have fun, they have been patient.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed Homesick - do let us know how you get on with it?

    What do you do with your hagstones? I've a few dangling from ribbons on the backs of doors or over windows but all the others I've recently threaded onto stout wire and made a knobbly, weighty stone wreath from them which hangs from a nail on the fence in a shady spot in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Riverside Hermit, what an intriguing name - I was hoping you would have a blog but no link found - maybe you will start one? I just put my hagstones in a little dish I only have a few - my mother collected them too - I would like to hang them on wire and your wreath sounds beautiful - you must be a very dedicated collector :) thanks for visiting- isn't Homesick good - she started off a bit dull and I nearly stopped readying but when she describes the nature around her she totally transports the reader :)

      Delete
  6. Things have opened here and COVID cases are on the rise with new variant. Even some innoculated people are getting it. Usually not as bad unless you have a preexisting condition. Scary. Love all the flowers! We have lots blooming here in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love your painting of the big daisies in the field! What a great blog you write!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely post again Betty - such a pretty time of year where you live. Your lunch looks so delicious. Always love your paintings & the daisies are so pretty. That book about Mothers looks interesting - I shall look that one out in our Library. Hope you're having a great week Betty. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hasn't it been glorious? Love that photo of you basking on the lawn and the pair of you in the pub. That vibrant teeshirt you're wearing looks fantastic.
    Your daisy artwork is gorgeous and that does look like a dead ringer for Mollie cat! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. i enjoyed joining you in your day dear Betty :)

    i loved all photos ,they are marvelous ,my most favorite is you laying on grass with book :)book must be nice as it seems by it's title .the next book you mentioned sounds great too ,my son still looking for place to stay as he found every place he saw extremely expensive ,let's see may be first he will have to live in shared space .
    your daises are so beautiful and same as you found on your way.your walk path is filled with various flowers wow i loved it.
    i liked the bat painted on the building ,intriguing.
    so you go to the gym only once in a week and rest other exercise you do in home right ?
    health ,peace and happiness to you and loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, I've been wondering what that pink flower is called-Valerian!
    Your Margueritte painting is gorgeous! It reminds me of the one my friend Ellie painted for my wedding card- so pretty!
    The Brighton pictures are lovely!x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.