Monday, 5 July 2021

The New Normal: Lazy Days

I've been very lazy over here in Woodland, not much painting for the nature journal but lots of days lolling around doing not a lot - sometimes it's good to do nothing :)

June has been mostly rainy days (or feels like it) and I didn't get very inspired in the painting department; I can only offer this little watercolour of my lavender, and a very heavyweight looking bee.


Personally I like rainy days, I like going for walks and getting wet through and I like the smell and sound of the rain, the woods in the rain smell magnificent.  Last week's torrential rain has given our garden a bit of a boost:  our apple tree is heaving with tiny fruit and our tomato and chilli plants have managed to turn up a few flowers.  The little garden bench (inherited from a neighbour many years ago) broke and we found the wood was rotten inside despite lovingly wood staining earlier this year - so I'm using it as a table for tomato plants.


The lavender is humming with life as it's constantly being visited by a variety of bees.  I love to have bees in the garden, we are also getting a lot of dragonflies.

The nasturtium pots are doing well and so is my climbing rose



I went to the garden centre wondering if I would splash out on a hanging basket or two and found it was my lucky day - all the little plants, 6 to a tray, were looking limp, thirsty and 'leggy' and had been reduced to £2 a tray - so of course I gave them all a good home.  Came back and made up three hanging baskets myself and had enough over to fill two windowsill planters (which are standing on bricks)




 - they looked limp and unhappy at first, but within 24 hours in all that lovely rain they are looking quite pretty and flowers have popped out!



Aren't these petunias spectacular - my son thought they were fake they are so in your face!

On Saturday we went to London to see our eldest son who moved out in April.  I completely forgot to take any pictures (which is a  shame as I missed a wonderful posing opportunity in my red and orange Monsoon dress (sale/birthday present, first outing) we had an Indian meal (mine was paneer masala).

On the car journey I spotted about 30 wild orchids on a grass verge as we entered the M25 motorway! the amount of time I have spent searching for wild orchids over the years!  I didn't expect them to be in plain view - of course we couldn't stop to take a picture.

Source: Plantlife.co.uk common spotted orchid


On Sunday my friend came to see me and I made a cream tea for fun (scones, jam and clotted cream with strawberries on the side).   The main purpose of the visit was to get a long walk in the woods.  We first noticed none of the grass verges on the estate have been cut back this year so there are a lot of wildflowers that wouldn't normally be there which makes me very happy...also down in the fields there was plenty to see....



There are three different varieties of wild mallow growing around here...


I think below is meadow clary going by its leaves....






Meadowsweet (regarded as sacred by the Druids fyi!)


clover

Mollie's looking very shiny, she gets brushed every day.  I think she could still put some more weight on.  She has decided to sit next to me on my chair sometimes (still won't sit on people or be picked up).

Today we had a little excursion to the vet to treat her anxiety/food wolfing/regurgitation issues  - she managed to regurgitate in the car so the vet had plenty of evidence of her anxiety, she has been thoroughly examined and I'm pleased to say she has absolutely nothing physically wrong with her,  it's in her head.... she will always be like this but we can help her.  The vet recommended having four very small meals spread out and plugging her in to valerian - a calming herb.  So I have a Pet Remedy plug in diffuser full of natural oils including valerian and vetiver which will be very calming for both Mollie and me as well!  Will let you know how we get on :)


Spotted on our woodland walk - it was growing near wild plumbs, not sure what this one is - greengage? 


I was up early and won an Indian cotton embroidered smock on EBay - hope it's as nice as it looks online.  I dithered and almost missed it as usual!  I also bought a sequined kaftan from Monsoon in their sale, so hoping we will be able to travel again .... if we get some sunshine I might take a few picks actually wearing these things!

p.s. Thank you for your comments on the last post - I usually reply on the comments of the post (although I doubt if anyone these days has the time or inclination to go back and look lol!) but from now on if a reply is needed I will put it on the next post.  I really do appreciate you stopping by, indulging me in my woodfairy persona and being a follower, thanks :)

How's your June been?


13 comments:

  1. Your lavender is stunning, I can see why you were inspired to do that beautiful painting.
    Your planters and hanging baskets are fab. I bought a pack of those Fiesta petunias from Wilko back on 1st may and they're still blooming. Did you see the wildflower hanging basket on Gardeners' World over the weekend? I quite fancy doing something similar next year.
    I didn't know those were orchids until I used that plant app when I was at last week's National Trust trip, aren't they fabulous?
    Liking the sound of both the curry and your clothing finds, we definitely need a photo!
    Great news about Molly, I hope the plug-in does her good! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much on rain, we could use some in my area. I like a breezy days, wind ruffling my hair. Sure pretty flowers.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post Betty. Everything is looking so pretty & those petunias are stunning. I have seen them here too. I am pleased Mollie got a good clean health check & am sure the valerian & vetiver will be helpful to you both. I love the wildflowers that grow on the road verges - so pretty. Have a great week Betty - any rain is always good in the hot months. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your June days sound relaxing, Betty. In my part of the world, it’s rainy season, but I’ve enjoyed the idleness and casualness of this season. Recent extreme rain can be disastrous, but I have the same thoughts about rain, the beneficial rain. The painting of lavenders is lovely, so are the thriving plants both wild and in your garden. Nothing physically wrong with Mollie is a good news. Take care.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our June was unusually and deadly hot here in Oregon. A little over 100 people died from the heat! Some plants literally burned! Very unusual for Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your painted bee looks lovely and nectar drunk Betty! I love it when they bumble about knocking into things...and who can blame them with all that lavender. Mollie is looking more and more like a silky black panther with each post. Fingers crossed for the oil diffuser treatment. Maybe she was a fireman in a past life? ...that's why she has to woof her food down before the bell goes. That's what my dad does, still, after twenty years retired from service :0 Those wonderful Petunias remind me of a circus tent. They're great! Hope you are having a super week. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rainy June here as well. But so good for the flowers! Love to see all your flowers doing so well! And the wild ones are great too. Poor Molly, hope the valerian helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how nice you too love rain and you have rains often dear Betty what a fortune :) i am happy for you!

    your plants are breathtakingly beautiful ,roses are so elegant and i could not move eyes for while !
    such a pretty flower baskets !!!!!!!!!!!!
    so true in first look they seems fake but they are so delightful and charming .
    oh what a relief to be able to visit your son my friend ,i can imagine your happiness !
    your shopping sounds great too .
    how sweet of you to take your pet for to vet just to make her feel better :)
    i most enjoyed your trip with your friend towards fields and woods ,wow what a lovely weather and how amazing to go for walk with friend :)
    loved each image sooo much!
    i hope and pray you keep having all the shower of blessings you in days ahead too amen!

    i replied to your kind recent comment ,if you can see it will be appreciable .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was also have rainy days here and the weeds are growing a lot!
    I liked Mosoon when I go to Dubai.
    My son’s stray cat is much better now she has problems with her back legs certainly hit by a car, but she is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Betty! Oh poor Mollie. Our Marlene has anxiety issues too, it's so hard when they suffer. You're doing well by her and I'm sure she'll be better soon! Sounds like you had some nice visits with family and friends! Your flowers are so beautiful! My summer so far has been all about the house and pets, doing a few road trips and learning technology. Same stuff! :) I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't mind a few rainy days but a whole string of them can really bring me down! What I do love are your blooms and especially your lovely painting. It has such a summery feel to it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely post..liked the painting very much

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your bee and lavender painting is so beautiful!
    Poor Molly! We had a cat with issues due to previous lack of food and he would really bolt his food and even raid the potato bucket and eat raw potatoes which is, of course, not good for a cat. The stripe Petunias are beautiful and so cheering!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.