A night in Ramsgate! We booked during lockdown when optimism was rewarded with cheap deals and got our room for the night at Travelodge for £33 so within budget and a welcome break - randomly chosen as it has a nice harbour and we hoped to sunbathe and watch boats....
![]() |
| Weatherspoons, Ramsgate Harbour |
I wore my red maxi dress (Superdry, purchased earlier in the year/first outing) the fabulous oversize Indian bling earrings were a gift from my blogging buddy Vix and the necklace was from the gold soukh in Dubai, a 21st birthday present from hubby.
Photography is not good in the tunnels due to the light so my pictures are from Tripadvisor above and Facebook below...
Our guide was a very knowledgeable volunteer who took us safely back to the surface were we headed off for dinner at Weatherspoons (where else!) with a nice view of the harbour, which was crammed with sailing boats, somehow the local Sea Cadets found space in the water to carry out a practice exercise in small boats.
Next day we were greeted by torrential rain and had to call off our planned walk along the seafront/harbour and head for home.
The relentless rain continues and the temperature in the UK on Summer Solstice was an unbelievable 13c at 3pm! but we are home, rested and appreciated a brief break with some sea air, all on a small budget.





Very nice photo of you and your husband! The harbor and the underground tunnels are interesting tourist attractions. The mini break was a great idea!
ReplyDeleteHaven't heard that term Maxi dress for a while. I seen picture of people during WW2 hinding in tunnel as there area was getting bombed.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
That's a fabulous photo of you and the Mr! I had no idea Superdry made anything other than tops with massive logos on them, that dress is stunning on you!
ReplyDeleteYou were clever taking advantage of lockdown and booking a bargain break. I can't imagine how terrifying it must have been to take shelter in those tunnels with the air raid sirens going off.
I miss Spoons - it's been 15 months since I went in one! xxx
Lovely dress, Betty, red suits you. I had no idea that Ramsgate had such interesting places to visit. Glad you had a break.
ReplyDeleteWe must have a wander around Ramsgate and Margate...we keep in visiting cousins in Cliftonville and never seeing the sea!!
ReplyDeleteYou look so lovely in your red maxi dress Betty. It sounds like a great little break away- even if the weather did turn for you - looks such a nice place to visit.
ReplyDeleteYour hair looks great that length. Great pic of the you both. I think Michael Portillo was in Ramsgate on one of his railway progs last week, I seem to recall him talking about it. The sunset on Summer Solstice was stunning. xxx
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you had rain on your holiday but it sounds like a fascinating time. I think the WWII tunnels would be the first thing I'd head to as well. I'm fascinated by that and the period. It's so good to have a break, even if the weather isn't cooperating. I hope it was relaxing for you.
ReplyDeleteRamsgate is lovely!.I lived there for a while and that Weatherspoons that you went in was where I used to work when it was a Show Bar..about 47 years ago!.People like Helen Shapiro used to be on.I have also stayed in that Travelodge in more recent years and was lucky enough to get a room overlooking the harbour.My flat I had there was on Wellington Cresent with a balcony over looking where the fair used to be.I wish that I had still got that now!xx
ReplyDeletei had no idea people lived in tunnels during wws dear Betty so thank you so much for this informative sharing specially !
ReplyDeletenice to share images too . i really appreciate this !
you are really smart to make tours in small affordable budget :)
sorry for rain interrupted your walk schedule .
i loved your photos as always :) you look amazing and pretty in maxi :) i love this dress particularly and i often wish to wear it occasionally .
more blessings to you and loved ones!
A getaway is always good. I cannot imagine living through a war like that!
ReplyDeleteYou are looking beautiful Betty in that red dress. How exciting to go into the Ramsgates Tunnels. I have a weird fascination with war time bunkers and even tried to buy one once in Lincolnshire. My dad, who worked as a fireman in Manchester, said there's a whole underground network under the city - a 'city under the city'. I can't seem to find out anything about it though. Looks like you have a cracking little break. Lulu xXx (p.s. apologies if I have already commented on this - I'm not going mad (already mad eh)...blogger was being an arse for me t'other day)
ReplyDeleteBetty you look so pretty in your red dress and I love that photo of you and your hubby! Interesting about the tunnels!
ReplyDeleteImagine staying in those places for years...... The perils of war which common people suffer, at the cost of a few egoistic leaders.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a fabulous time Betty. X
ReplyDeleteCute red dress, Betty! I'm glad you had a little holiday!
ReplyDeleteHello Betty
ReplyDeleteI love your dress! A the jewellery from Dubai’s gold souk. I love shopping in Dubai!
Nice to have a break.