This week it has been super sunny and my tomatoes are shooting up the pea sticks, also little lettuce and spinach leaf seedlings for salads are struggling for space and sunshine on my 'table garden'.
I haven't felt like cooking much while it's been hot here, we ate easy things this week like home made pizza with salad and veggie burgers with steamed vegetables
It was perfect weather for giving one of my rugs a big wash

in preparation for a swap around in the lounge - I like to move things round as it
gets boring looking at the same old layout.

I'm reading this book - Everything - it's from the library but I would like to buy it - I always thought
I must be a minimalist because I like things tidy and uncluttered but now I think I am a maximalist as I like lots of colour, layers and contrasts all piled up - but in an orderly way ... this book has so much about that style, loads of inspiration, most of the things in the pictures are not expensive or unusual - just 'stuff' that you would pick up second hand or re-purposed along the way to create your 'look' gradually.
here's my new current 'look'....too tidy methinks :)
I found this old pic the other day - I think I was about 21 I am the shy little stick insect on the right top corner - hiding under my hair .... even at that early age I had developed my trademark stamp of a silk scarf with every outfit) and I remembered how I used to worry about stuff - and still do.

It's hard to shake off that almost superstitious feeling that 'something will happen'... I do my best to rise above it though, by counting my blessings and having a good walk. I took a lovely walk with my younger son - a route he knew and I didn't, time to chat and very importantly for me, a chance to soak up some nature, feel the power of the trees, smell the fields, hear the birds. I find I feel creative after walks in nature, picking up bits and pieces along the way and then drawing or painting them when I get home.
Emma Mitchells's book The Wild Remedy was a really good read as she talks about all this.
Yesterday I had to drive to a factory near here that makes foam beds and things. I was getting my conservatory chair cushions re-plumped at cost price so plenty of motivation to do the trip, but I felt anxiety creep in thinking about the drive to Rusper.
Source: Wikimedia Commons: Rusper ***.....
isn't it a pretty village? lots of houses and pubs like this, pretty gardens - I should go back and take some pictures....
It turned out to be a really beautiful drive through country roads and luckily I was behind a tractor with a trailer nearly all the way so wound my windows down and listened to the birds and enjoyed those beautiful country lanes full of wild flowers.
Mollie cat has a new puzzle feeder, it stops her regurgitating all her food as she eats to fast, she likes this new game and it helps a lot. The vet thinks she was probably starved in her previous life and will always wolf down food too fast and bring it back up so this little puzzle is good for her as it takes her ages to get her dried food out and she savours it a bit more ...
I think Mollie has turned out to be a good match for me as she is an anxious little person, I understand her.

"Everything" sounds like a must-have-book for those interesting in de-cluttering like me.
ReplyDeleteYes, a walk in Nature with its grand beauty is the best remedy to all ailments of mind and body.
Molly is adorable!
thank you for stopping by Duta
DeleteA great post Betty - your plants look happy & healthy. I can sense your anxiety through your writing & can empathise with you - I find when I am feeling like this ... even though every single bone in my body doesn't feel like it, if I go out for a walk or go into my garden & work, it ALWAYS helps & makes my mood improve. I am definately NOT a minimalist & never will be so maybe I should read that book you recommended. I think your Lounge looks great - do you ever hang any of your wonderful paintings & watercolours on your wall I wonder? I think you are the perfect owner for Mollie & I think its so lucky that you chose each other ❤💕 Have a great weekend Betty xx
ReplyDeleteI haven't put any on the wall, maybe I should do just one in a frame. thanks ref lounge, I think it needs messing up a bit though!
DeleteI find out trying to declutter and have job can be challenging.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you and your son had a nice walk.
Coffee is on and stay safe
yep I do my housework in the mornings as I work shifts 1-9pm so am lucky it works for me.
DeleteI find getting involved in a creative activity - baking, gardening, crafting, reading something nice, being in nature is a good way to be in the moment and not worry. I am a worrier too, so I can empathise.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes and here's to a worry free weekend
Ellie
Thanks for stopping by Ellie, yes crafting is very calming - I should do more of it.
DeleteI too love to change the furniture around, but in this house we like our chairs facing the patio doors, so we can look out on our garden. I like tidy, everything in it's place. Love Mollie, I have 2 cats one is very out going the other Grace is scared of everything and loves to sit on my lap, it's one of her safe spots.
ReplyDeleteYour lounge with chairs facing the garden sounds perfect, maybe we will get a companion for Mollie in a year or so, it sounds like your two are very happy with one being protective of the shy one.
Deletebeautiful post s always :)
ReplyDeleteit is extremely hot here either and i try to keep short too though i still avoid fried stuff which take less time and more tasty for kids but heat up the blood in the body .
your walk with younger son is refreshing :) ,how nice you found the rout to village lush and rich with natural beauty ,good that rumors were wrong about this place .
it is always great relief to complete cleaning and looking at it brings lots of joy indeed :)
your plants are growing amazingly !
it was nice you had eye for fashion and look for perfect matching dressing ,i was totally unlike you :)
i still am unfortunately :(
so Molli is learning well eating manners .
books sound interesting !
more blessings to you and loved ones!
haha Baili I don't dress for success any longer, just wear what's comfy but in my younger days I did love a silk scarf or 10. I think in your climate it is probably a major achievement to dress to stay cool and calm looking and long kaftans and flowing scarves are what I imagine you wearing :)
DeleteA lovely villages! My black cat,Kala, will always act hungry and eat fast. She was 21 pounds at one time but has been on a diet over a year. Shes now 11 pounds. Much better.
ReplyDeletegosh that's a massive cat Rose - big boned? Mollie only weights 3 kilos.
DeleteOh look at you with your Farrah Fawcett hairdo. I remember that style so well, all those flicks! Love the sound of that book. I might investigate at my library. I'm on a mission to seriously declutter. Just today, I've driven a distance - nice views on the way, bit like your country road drive and not too much traffic but don't ask me to drive to the airport, that's another story altogether and I leave that to the others - to deposit a couple of bags of stuff to my Zero Waste warehouse and on the way out the door, I spotted a nice man who was donating a tree saw, a small vintage hammer - really dinky it was - and a vintage hacksaw so I asked him if I could have them and he gladly handed them over! I also donated a bin bag of winter woollies into the Salvation Army clothes bank skip. I think Mollie knows what's what. She's certainly being exceptionally well looked after!Have you tried 'Rescue Remedy' Betty on those particularly anxious days? You can get it in liquid form or as chewing gum or lozenges. Have a stress-free weekend, Betty. Will write soon.xxx
ReplyDeletei have had rescue remedy in the past - thans for reminding me - I might get some next time I go into the bigger town. The hair - well, why do us women try to defy gravity!? I spent a lot of money on demi-wave perms and still had to get up early and reach for the curling tongs every day! but you're right, Farah Fawcett hair was the only way to go in those days :)
DeleteHello Betty, if you think your lovely living room is too tidy, I could bring the kids over & they'd smash it up within five minutes flat. That's if you wanted a cushions flying, glitter and crumbs catastrophe, barbie pool party type look.
ReplyDeleteBoth books look / sound interesting. I always thought I wanted to be minimalist but now I'm resolved to suspecting I'd just like my junk organised!
My eldest & I were talking about anxiety round the dinner table last night. This whole Covid thing has made her worry about things she shouldn't be worrying about - bless, she's only just ten. She said she spotted a great line in her book - 'Anxiety is like sitting is a rocking chair; it gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere.' I thought that was great.
Don't you look absolutely gorgeous in that old picture?! I love the Charlie's Angels style hair. Lulu xXx
I would actually love a Barbie pool party type look and you have inspired me - we need some bling in there -that's what's missing? could you come over right away please.
DeleteHi Betty :) Your garden looks great and so does that pizza! As you know I can relate to the anxiety. I hope you're able to manage it. You know, I actually started to believe in curses and the evil eye lately. On the advice of a wise woman, I am now wearing a turquoise crystal around my neck for protection and I'm sage smudging my entire home and property. The story you told me about your home intrigued me, I do believe in negative energy being left behind and knowing the type of people who used to live here, I wouldn't be surprised if they left some kind of bad Karma when they sold this house. Thanks for your comment on my blog! I'm keeping a positive attitude that the bad luck is finally ending. :)
ReplyDeletei brought my bad karma with me. I expect your pets pic up on an atmosphere. Hope the smudging helps and that a bit of shouting moves the air!
DeleteI smudged the entire house and property this morning, I feel great and I also feel as though a heavy weight has been lifted! Here's to new beginnings! xx :)
DeleteI love that photo of you, you look like you should be in Fleetwood Mac, you'd give Stevie Nicks some competition - another beautiful lady who knows how to rock a silk scarf!
ReplyDeleteThat book sounds right up my street, I shall keep my eyes peeled for a copy. Have you read Alys Fowler's Hidden Nature: A Voyage of Discovery? It's a wonderfully life-affirming read. If you can't track a copy down I'll lend you mine.
Your room looks fabulous, a block-printed throw slung over the back of the settee and a couple more mismatched cushions and it'd be worthy of inclusion in that stylish book.
You are such a brilliant cat parent, Mollie is so lucky to have found you.
Both my Mum & Grandma had problems with anxiety yet to anyone who knew them they were gregarious, outgoing and with bucketloads of confidence. I hope that gene has passed me by, it's a horrible thing to deal with.
Enjoy this glorious weather, I know I will! xxx
I am going to check out the library for that book - will come back to you if I cant get hold of it - thanks :) block printed throw yes! I am on a budget for the next few months but it's something to keep an eye out for in the chazzas. Yes often people are very different on the outside to what's happening inside :)
ReplyDelete