Saturday, 29 May 2021

The New Normal: May Journal Page


I have enjoyed sketching my journal page for May.....





 plenty more flower varieties are coming up in the woods, despite heavy rains the bluebells still looking beautiful but fading.  There are also harebells.   I have never found a snakeshead although I know you can grow them in the garden, it would be wonderful to find one growing in the woods - I looked them up online to copy - they look almost digitally made - isn't nature amazing to create something like this.  My picture doesn't do them justice.  My favourite this month is the almost neon orange brightness of tiny scarlet pimpernel, I would love to have them grow in my lawn - wouldn't you?



Yesterday I hopped on the train for my regular day out in Brighton, I know I go there a lot so won't ramble ...I first went to the Oxfam book shop in The Lanes for something to read on the beach.   I found these...





I had read the first of Tessa Hainsworth's books but didn't know there were more - this is the third of her  adventures as an ex towny living the dream in Devon.  The Dr Hessayon vegetable growing book I have had before and gave to my brother, so am pleased to have another for myself.

I had a Leon takeaway bean/rice lunch on the beach, people watched then had a long sleep.  Shopping was fora couple of half price tee shirts to go with some floral skirts I have (planning ahead for days when I am back in the office for  training on a new system and the very enjoyable working from home is, sadly, likely to reduce or end when Boris gives the word).  I noticed a lot of shops are either gone or doing flash sales-a sign of how the economy is being battered by this pandemic. 


Somehow the smaller shops are surviving....


And for the first time in a year I noticed the back door to the Theatre Royal was wide open!



Mollie knows I don't like her teo wee on the lawn -if she sees me she goes to the border/woodchip now so I am pleased to see progress although she still sneakily does it sometimes - I am using garlic granules as a deterrent but she seems to like them and spends ages smelling them.  She is still snarf and barfing but we think it's because I am overfeeding her so we are not leaving food down all day. 

 


Sadly she is supplementing her diet with blue tits and mice and still has plans for the squirrel. She will never be a cuddly cat, but there has beengood progress, she will sometimes sit in the chair next to me - particularly if the hairbrush comes too.  




She surprised me by jumping on my desk this week while I was working and sniffed my face then ran off - that's an unusually close encounter  and I closed my eyes as she could just as easily have swiped my eye out - you never know with her.  Goodness knows what cruelty she encountered in her past life.  She's putting weight on and looking glossy so I think she's in good health.


Earlier in the week I had a sauna after my swim (two people allowed in the cabin at a time) and felt completely relaxed and rejuvenated.  I am on a mini detox, shedding a few pounds of excess weight so it felt like a nice 'reward' -all these facilities are part of our gym package which I am very lucky is subsidised through my employers.  Ours is next to a stable so from the pool there is a lovely view of the horses  coming in and out and eating hay in their stalls, while they watch us watching them.


My house plants are having a growth spurt....


I found some like to grow close together and low down on the ground so have given them a 
sort of jungle theme- my orchids definitely like hiding amongst other dark foliage...



 This  is the walk to the town - the scenic route - all frothy hedgerows and birdsong......




This weekend I am not working and am not sure what to do with myself - it's going to be sunny here, there are lots of opportunities for walks and there is the garden ........ how's your weekend going?










 

18 comments:

  1. Your sketches are of a rare delicacy! I'm envious as I can't draw even a straight line.
    By "mini detox', you probably mean mini weight loss program (as detox is also the name of a digestion cleansing capsule). Well, I can tell you this, only the right nutrition (low calorie, low fat) helps me. Gym workout can give me pleasure and relaxation, but is of no great help to me in shedding of pounds.
    Anyway, I'm older than you, and I suppose that things are individual.
    Since you've mentioned Boris. I've got somewhere a picture of him at 16 as a young volunteer in Israel. He's so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to see that pic of Boris! I imagine he would look the same but smaller. Yes, detox just cleansing the body of toxins by eating healthy,drinking water and sweating out toxins via sauna.

      Delete
  2. A good month..you are doing some beautiful work.
    Everything seems to have taken a deep breath and grown, despite the weather!

    This weekend? Chilling with my brother.

    We have just found Leon coffee, very good indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes I have heard Leon coffee is in Sainsburys. They have some good recipe books too.

      Delete
  3. Hello Betty, the shop window with the rabbits and toadstools is so cute! You have been busy with your May journal and it looks great. Love the pictures of Mollie cat. I am back at the work office now, and desperately missing my little home office, where I had tea on drip, biscuits at hand and all my plants to tend to in my lunch hour. Your purple oxalis looks reet groovy sat next to the lava lamp. Have a wonderful weekend, Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going back to the office is going to be a shock for me, I have loved working in a room full of plants looking out on woodland with the sound of birds... it's made me want to make changes -however, I am grateful for my job as my husband has been without for a year now despite many interviews - as we get older we are less employable it would seem. Yeh that lava lamp is fun I might get more they remind me of my 60s childhood in a hippy house full of lava lamps viewed through the smoky haze of joss sticks :) (well I think that's what it was anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry that you have to go back to work, you've really enjoyed your enforced homeworking. If I was still working, I could've 'procured' some Fritillaria bulbs for you, there's loads there that come up with the crocus in the Springtime. I'd love a Monstera plant but there's just no space in this house for one.She's a one, that Mollie! Love your May journal page. Have a great week, Betty.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely art Betty...loved your post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a few snakehead in my flowerbeds, deer seem not interested in them.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post Betty - I do enjoy seeing your journal pages. I think a day trip to Brighton sounds like such a wonderful treat - how I wish I could say that!! Yes there are lots of business's closed here thanks to Covid. Will you have to go back to the Office fulltime eventually? Alot of the business's here have allowed their workers to continue to work from Home even though its safe here now. My daughter in law works for a large insurance firm in the city & she only has to go in one day a week now. She loves working from home. I think Mollie is looking so much better Betty- she doesn't have that spooky eyed look that she used to have & her coat is shiny & healthy looking. I watch Blackie with me now ... curled up & purring & I remember how he was so like her for at least the first year that we had him. Have faith my friend - she will become your bestest friend I am sure. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! My garden is great! So many blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mollie looks such a cheeky little scamp in those photos, I'd forgive her anything!
    Your journal is a work of art. I'd have that framed and hung in pride of place. Fritilleries are unreal, aren't they? they used to grow wild in our garden but disappeared a few years ago, I bought bulbs from Wilko last year and planted them in pots and they did brilliantly.
    Your houseplants look so lush and healthy and the journey into the woods is like a fairytale.
    I'm sorry you've got to return to the office, it seems as shame when you're just as productive at home. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to have your day out to Brighton, such a nice place. Here we just begin to go out a little more.
    I like your watercolour.
    With all this rain the garden plants are growing a lot and the weeds too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to have your day out to Brighton, such a nice place. Here we just begin to go out a little more.
    I like your watercolour.
    With all this rain the garden plants are growing a lot and the weeds too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh your journal page is ENCHANTING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    i loved it absolutely ,i googled about snakehead flower and yes you did justice ,how nice you know names of every flower :)
    your plants re also growing amazingly and i loved the purple flower most ,in your window i guess so elegant .

    thank you for sharing glimpses of your spring ,it made my day :)
    Mollie seems to grow healthy wow ,she is looking neat and pretty ,thank God you were not hurt by her jump before you !

    so true about economy and shops ,pandemic has hake the world indeed !
    i can imagine it will be tough to get back to normal office going routine ,working from home sounds like positive side effect of pandemic ,i so enjoyed the company of my kids and hubby during this emergency i admit it will be hard to send them all out of my sight no matter how necessary and important it is .
    health ,peace and happiness to you and your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the flowers in your journal! Your houseplants are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the sketches Betty - you are very talented, but sorry return to office is imminent. I am lucky n being able to work from home x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love how you've painted the forget-me-nots.
    A day out in Brighton, including a sleep on the beach, sounds lovely. I had a brief encounter at Felixstowe beach recently and it hit me how much I've missed the sea.
    It's lovely to think that some small shops have survived. It's so long since I've been into my local town, I know Debenhams has gone (a huge building in the town), but I know there will be other casualties too.
    Mollie sounds like she's settled in. She looks very content and in good health, and she's obviously thriving if she has a squirrel in her sights, that's no mean feat!
    I think a lot of people will be really looking forward to going back to the office but it's a shame that you don't get the option of staying at home should you wish to. Perhaps employers have quickly reverted to not trusting their employees to work if they're not watched...?
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.