Thursday, 20 May 2021

The New Normal: Journal painting

This is my art journal page for April - I didn't have much time for painting during the month but had a bit of spare time this afternoon to catch up... all these flowers are out in my area now....



Campion and herb Robert look similar but the petals are raggedy on campion and herb Robert has segmented delicate leaves.  


The bluebells are still out in the woods although I haven't been to look often as we have had such heavy rain and winds.  My tomato and cucumbers suffered an unexpected frost, but I have a few left so made a little shelter for them from an old plastic sheet.  Mollie cat continues to mark the lawn and it is dying in places despite reseeeding, netting and garlic granules.  I don't know how to train her away from that area as we have such a small garden but put litter in a bowl behind a tree and try to deter her if I see her in action!

This week I am binge watching two really good series:   

Innocent series 2: Sam Wright killed Matty Taylor, viewers predict (entertainmentdaily.co.uk)

and

BBC One - The Pact

other news is that we have taken our house off the market until  next year - I am sure this has happened before!  we really want to relocate somewhere rural, there isn't anything in our location that has the garden we hope for.  Our oldest son moved out and youngest will too early next year so it will be the right time to move then.  This year we are going to enjoy our lovely home, decorate and repair where necessary and make the best of it.

The UK can now have visitors in homes so we are looking forward to a visit from our older son this weekend :)  We had a new bbq delivered (replacement as ours was wonky) so who knows, if the rain gives itself a break we could be cooking outdoors!








13 comments:

  1. Your journal page is just lovely!
    I think you've got the right idea taking the property off the market and enjoying it for longer. It seems like people are using house viewing as entertainment at the moment, such a waste of everyone's time.
    How strange with Mollie and the lawn. I'm not sure what to suggest, our boys prefer digging up the borders so I have to arrange bamboo sticks around new plants to keep them off.
    Both those series sound interesting. I've just started The Killing - about 12 years behind the rest of the UK!
    Have a wonderful time with your son and fingers crossed you can use the new BBQ! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. viewing as entertainment - I think you are absolutely right. they are supposed to have an offer to get thru the door but present themselves as cash buyers - we live and learn - we are lucky to have a nice house and I am happy to stay in it another year or so :)

      Delete
  2. I had to go and collect some free floor cleaner today (Method x 2 bottles via the FB page I was telling you about) from a very upmarket new housing scheme in the next village. I couldn't wait to get out of the place which reminded me of Stepford!Rows upon rows of elite housing with absolutely no character and the same grey front doors and was astounded to find out that the price tag was upwards of half a million quid for a 3 bedroomed terraced with a postage stamp back garden! I'm glad you're staying put for the interim. Your house is lovely and homely. I'm watching The Pact too and quite enjoying it. I think I know who did it!! Naughty Mollie, hope you find a solution to the soiling!!Love your new page. I never knew what Herb Robert was but I do now! Will write this weekend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. goodness I won't be house hunting in your neck of the woods then! these new builds are all somewhat characterless but you can put your stamp on them, the problem is the gardens are so small you can't swing a cat!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful and delicate flower painting!
    Enjoy your son's visit and the new BBQ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Duta I just been reading your blog, this pink and fluffy blog of mine must seems worlds away from the conflict you are sitting in the middle of in Israel. I hope it provides escapism for you and my thoughts are with you.

      Delete
  4. Your journal page is just beautiful Betty- gosh how I wish I could paint like that!! That is a gorgeous photo of Amber on your side bar - I have just noticed it. Yes - enjoy your Home & enjoy your barbeque with your son visiting - how special. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, my painting doesn't always come out well, I just get the odd day here and there when I like what I did - I think you should try painting, everyone has their own style and you have such an eye for detail in your own creations that it could be something you would really enjoy :)

      Delete
  5. love your beautiful spring flowers
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful April journal paintings Betty! I love the bumbling bee, trying to pick which lovely flower to land on. It hasn't been outdoors weather here with all the high winds, but I am hoping for a little break this afternoon, before it returns tomorrow.

    I think I read somewhere that lion poo deters cats. Have you got a local zoo? You could then say to visitors, "please be careful of the lion poo on the lawn" ;) Fingers crossed for the BBQ. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so talented to include your art in your journal! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your journal painting is lovely. I'm signed up for several online art workshops but haven't been in the right head spat to do any of them. I miss my boys. Both are in the states and wasn't able to travel there last year as planned. They are both vaccinated but we are still waiting for an appointment here. Thanks for stopping my corner of the world. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorgeous journal page as always dear Betty :) loved it!!!!!!!!

    sorry about Mollie rerunning the plants ,mom had cat and in the beginning she would do same but she learnt gradually .i hope Mollie will too soon.
    i hope you will find house of your dreams with garden area :)
    now that i have garden before my eyes and i see how birds leave nest when they grow old ,i learnt to stay calm without my son before my eyes to some extent :) i find deep joy and peace in his success but it is fact that i want to live with all my children with me and i know it is not possible in this era.
    health ,peace and joy to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.