Friday, 14 May 2021

The New Normal: My Week

We have a beautiful blue carpet of bluebells in the woods behind the house, I can even see a little of them from my bedroom window.



There is a blue tit family visiting, the baby bird is flying about 2 feet off the ground and not very good at it so we are trying to keep Mollie cat away.  


I thought you might like to see a few more things I found on my Brighton day out....I was up the North Laine end of town to a plant shop that is tiny but worth the walk as she always has plants you won't find anywhere else, its called Between Two Thorns and not far away on the opposite side is a house with a 'museum window' where the owner displays items of taxidermy and suchlike quirky bits and bobs.....





People send or bring her things to add to here window collection so it is often changing.


Another place that tends to get ignored is the seating area at the Churchill shopping centre outside the shops. The seats are a sculpture called 'Twins' .  The sculpture uses sunlight moving across sensors to create sound...  I sat on it this time and can honestly tell you that, despite being partially deaf, there is indeed music going on inside - I bet few people are aware, it's just a murmur to my hearing level so you do have to 'tune in to it and concentrate'. Public Art: Twins (brighton-hove.gov.uk)



Would you love to live in one of these dear little mews houses, right round the side of the busy shopping area - tucked out of sight.  All the tiny gardens are lovingly maintained.



It was a bit nippy and windy but I always get my feet in the water and then give them a little rest whatever the weather, the wind soon dries them off :) and it's good for the circulation. I learned to swim just here as a child with three cackling aunties and my granny watching from deckchairs as I discovered the dip like a deep shelf that is further out...


Snoopers Paradise - more of their beautiful vintage silks and kaftans....


My favourite seat in Waterstones bookshop - I confess I take a picture of all the displays then find the books and reserve them from my local library but if not in stock I do then buy one - honest!








I have a glass bottle garden and am interested to see they are currently a bit trendy, this shop had made their collection part of the window display....



I came home with a recycled sari silk skirt (I had a credit on the account at this shop, so a no spend day).  Lunch was a wholefood ready meal from the supermarket, eaten on the beach.

I had a bit of fun putting all my summer clothes in a heap - colours jumped out and things I hadn't considered wearing together found each other - like this skirt I haven't worn yet (Ebay 2019 which I got for under a tenner - recently seen one the same selling for fifty quid!) and this old favourite purple silk top - it comes and goes with fashion, I have owned it since the 80s tand it was languishing in a drawer....


it also goes well with my new silk skirt:



I bagged up lots of clothes for the charity shop (not selling on EBay  now as they want to hold bank card details and I don't like doing that)  .. 


Apart from work I have been swimming at the gym and on my rowing machine, evenings were spent exploring Trip Advisor travel forums.  I watched a very good film last night (sci fi) The Fourth Kind, Netflix.

I dabbled with Ancestry after my lovely blogging buddy Vix kindly started me off on my family tree (thank you!), I picked it up on a free trial and explored a bit then decided to explore further later in the year when I am indoors more and have more time to research.


So that's my week - today I have marinated chicken tandoori  for the men: here's my easy recipe: 

  • 1 1/2oz garlic (that is a LOT of garlic but we love it)
  • 2oz ginger
  • 3 green chillis with seeds
  • 3 drops red food colouring
  • 3 fl oz yoghurt
  • 2 tsp tandoori masala powder
  • 1tsp salt
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 and a bit pounds of chicken breast fillet cut into large strips
  • (if you use less chicken you can always freeze some marinade for next time - if you marinate fresh chicken and then freeze it in bags you have saved a lot of work for yourself :)

Whizz it in a blender (I have a small bullet blender) then coat the chicken, leave for 8-12 hours in fridge, lay on baking tray, brush with oil, oven 180 for about 20 mins or when it looks golden, turn up for last 5 mins to dry the marinade coating off if necessary. Serve in tortilla wraps with salad leaf or on a bed of lebanese potatos (younger sons speciality of 1 inch cubed potatos with herbs, lemon juice, more garlic! chilli flakes baked in some olive oil in the oven until crispy).

I'm off now to see if I can feel inspired to get my paint brushes out.......



 

10 comments:

  1. I do enjoy your little trips around Brighton, Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy joining you for your trips to Brighton, our tastes are so similar and you always pick out things that would appeal to me, too!
    I love your two outfits, those East skirts do command a high price so you were very lucky to snaffle one for a good price.
    The bluebells have been particularly lovely this year, I wonder if you'll be painting them?
    I hope Mollie Cat behaves herself with the birds, ours are too dozy to bother!
    I bet your Lebanese chicken recipe would adapt really well with a Quorn alternative. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a small rose plant from a shop in the North Laine..not sure if it was this shop because it was about 7 years ago.It was only 50p because it wasnt in great shape!..Now,it blooms in my garden every year with 2 cuttings took from it,2 years ago.They produce lovely pink roses.Best 50p Ive ever spent in Brighton!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when you share your Brighton photos Betty .. it always looks such a lovely place to visit. And I adore the old buildings & the history of it all. Your clothes look lovely - I have been pulling winter woollies out of the wardrobe this week as its turned cold here now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The house's museum window is wonderful Betty. What a great idea and how nice that people contribute to it. There are some old shops near me that have been converted to living accommodation. One window is completely smothered in house plants. I would certainly enjoy a visit to the plant shop in the lanes. Terrariums are tres chic at the moment. The silk skirts are beautiful. That shelf on Brighon Beach caught me out on my first paddle - which very quickly became a swim! Have a great weekend, Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing these fab photos. I used to be a student in Brighton for my teacher training and I miss the lovely arty vibe there x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fab trip around Brighton, its on my to visit list and now I know I must go soon !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to listen to that music sitting on the twins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous day out Betty - and lovely to meet you. I hope you'll call back again soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your tours! I would like to live in that little mews. Your skirts are lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.