I joined Rain's Thursday Art Date this week. The theme is cake - I haven't had any spare time for painting lately but knew I had one or two 'I did earlier' (years ago!)..... battenburg - on lace tablecloth...
Cherry topped chocolate
Iced lemon cake with sugared violets
This was on my old blog - Chocky Wocky Doo Da cake (no longer got their lovely shop in Brighton, but the cake remains in my memory as it was so beautifully sculpted from chocolate and so huge, displayed at the back of the shop out of temptations way no doubt. They used to have delicious cake samples on trays in the shop so day trips to Brighton meant heading straight to the shop....
My own attempt at coffee walnut cake some years back ... I am not good on cake making and usually have to use double the recipe ingredients to get anything beyond a pancake!
Like most people, in our family we see cake as a reward, a treat, a way of showing love and the indulgence gives us that warm happy feeling .... we could all do with some of that! However, I recall my school history lesson where we learned cake featured in a riot - Marie Antoinette allegedly said 'let them eat cake' when the peasants complained of having no bread to eat.....
The bluebells are out, I am finishing a few shifts before a long weekend off so ....catch up soon....
Rain has other participants on her blog if you follow the link.

Hello Betty
ReplyDeletethis is a great and beautiful post and an interesting story about the cake. Sweet the painted cake slices. Your walnut cake looks delicious.
I wish you a good day, hug Elke
Your cake looks amazing! I went to the Choc shop last time I was in Brighton, sad that it has gone.
ReplyDeleteI've never had a Battenburg cake -- I'd like to try one some day. I was watching a baking competition show recently and that was one of their difficult-to-make test cakes because it's so hard to get all four components evenly sized. It looks like you succeeded though!
ReplyDeleteOh Betty I love your painted cakes and the one you baked looks scrumptious. Have fun and rest on your days off.
ReplyDeleteBeaitful cake art. Love the one you baked too!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your take on Cake. Thanks for introducing me to the now defunct Choccywoccydoodah. I bet it was great in its heyday. I LOVE your cake and your drawings are brilliant. You draw well.
ReplyDeleteYour Choccywhoccydoodah is marvelous and what a sad loss to the community ... our posts this week are close to identical ... Great Minds, as they say. At least you tried to make cake ... I avoid it because I end up eating most of it and one's body can't afford that. I am sure I have made a cake or two in my lifetime, but the nice thing about being old is that I have forgotten :) Enjoyed your post ...
ReplyDeleteAndrea @ From the Sol
I will have a generous piece of the coffee walnut cake
ReplyDeleteNice cake responses. Thanks for sharing the Marie Antoinette info.
ReplyDeleteHappy Thursday
Much❤lovr
Your paintings are wonderful Betty. I am sure that cake shop had a TV programme over here that I used to watch & enjoy. I did not know they had closed ... is that a result of Covid I wonder? I did love watching them. I love baking cakes but unfortunately I love eating them too so I try not to do it too often & save for a treat. xx
ReplyDeleteShe was a real troubemaker, that Marie Antoinette! I love your walnut cake, it looks delish. Love your Battenburg on Lace Tablecloth painting, along with the rest of course. Have a great weekend.xxx
ReplyDeleteHi, Betty. Your coffee walnut cake looks scrumptious. The painted cakes also look delicious. I especially like the iced lemon cake with sugared violets. Cake is always with me on any occasion to share happiness like someone’s celebration from birthday or anniversary to get-together or passing a small test. Thanks for your visit and leaving a comment.
ReplyDeleteYoko
Hope you're not too sad today on Amber's anniversary but I think you probably will be. She knew how much you loved her. Speak soon. xxx
ReplyDeleteI remember Choccywoccy Betty. That was there in my time. I'd always marvel at the window display. What a shame it has gone. Your iced lemon cake looks so delicious I could eat the paper it sits on! Lulu x
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous array of cake art! I'm not very keen on cakes but I'd make an exception for your coffee and walnut, it looks gorgeous! xxx
ReplyDeleteI stumbled across WoodFairy via Aunt Olive's wedding video, then I spotted a picture of the tiny Brighton flower shop at the bottom of my road - and now I can admire your water colours! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteWow Betty, that Chocky Wocky Doo Da cake is amazing! That's a work of art. I love your paintings too, I'd love to try to make the battenburg cake!!
ReplyDelete