Wednesday, 28 April 2021

The New Normal: A lovely bit of sunshine

Sunny Surrey was basking in sunshine so last week I headed off on another train ride to Brighton.  My first stop was Snoopers antique/bric-a-brac emporium and I took a lot of pics this time....








I'm a browser, not a buyer - the pleasure is in exploring so I only buy something after much hesitation, having seen it once, been off to think about it and if it's still there when I return (which it usually isn't!).





As always the graffiti art around town was spectacular....



it changes often...






Lots of shops in The Lanes display there wares outside in the sunshine, which is great for distancing.


My father had a buddha like this but fatter, it was of a white, very heavy, opaque stone, had much peeling red paint and gold leaf - I always thought it was the most beautiful thing in our house, then it disappeared over the years (my parents sometimes sold things) - would like to have one.

There was a cold east wind but it was still nice on the beach, once I found a windbreak area.


Someones feet in my picture - they had just been swimming...  Does the sight of a net and bucket make you want to go and find a rock pool to explore? there are no rock pools on this beach so I bet the kids are disappointed ... handy to take home for frog spawn hunts in ditches though..... or for catching butterflies in the garden whilst making mud pies with the bucket... multi use investment buys...


It was about 14 or 15 degrees fahrenheit that day and some brave folk were swimming, the water would have felt warm by comparison once they were in I expect.  I used to swim here as a child, there can be some dangerous currents further out.



Got a good view of Brighton Pavilion - where I had a lovely day out with blogger ElizabethD some years ago :)





Here's a typical weekend:  I was up early on Saturday and made an offer on a pretty kaftan I saw on EBay, which was accepted immediately (before 7am!).  After my rowing session, we had breakfast of mushrooms, tomatoes, rye bread and egg I was set up for work in the conservatory whilst hubby showed 4 sets of viewers round our house.  We finished off the day with cider and I found a lovely series on Sky Atlantic: Mildred Pierce, about a woman in the 1920s who becomes a single mother during The Depression and helps herself out of poverty with her cake making skills.

Sunday was spent with a similar breakfast and a lunchtime swim with a whole lane to myself for an hour followed by a trip to the garden centre for a plants and animal safe, garlic cat repellant to deter Mollie cat from peeing on the lawn (we have reseeded the patches). ... it doesn't work..... We watched the penultimate episode of Line of Duty, the plot twists and turns and we can't wait for the next episode.  



On Monday my EBay win  arrived and was even better than I had hoped - no expense had been spared on the sequins .... it was instantly washed and hung out on my apple tree.  Despite having two orange beach tunics already, I couldn't resist another - brand new, smothered in sequins and in a lovely print (looks like it may be a hand printed batik as has some natural faults in the pattern). Never worn, a lot of dye came out in the wash but the fabric is now super soft and floaty as a result.


Think these earrings will look good with it...

Hoop earrings, gift from my blogging buddy, Vix

I havent got round to painting anything to go in my nature journal for this month and still have diy jobs around the house to catch up on (loose door handles, refreshing the bath sealant - boring jobs).  I am working the rest of the week so will catch up on blogs over the weekend :)  Thanks for passing by.... back soon.  If you have a minute your comments are always appreciated:

What would have caught your eye at Snoopers Emporium and gone home with you? the Russian doll, skeleton, Turkish slippers, silk duster coat?........







18 comments:

  1. Nice solid wood drawers....and that blue and white large saltglaze jug on the bottom shelf....
    That was a good eBay win, very pretty!
    I have never been to Brighton. I would love to go there at a quiet time. I don't like crowds and I would love to see all the buildings and murals properly!
    Just think of it in clear very early morning summer light....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. theres a lovely walk along the clifftop that would be beautiful early morning - think you might like that.

      Delete
  2. That visit seems a long time ago now, Betty, but I oftn think about it and what an enjoyable day it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The original film of Mildred Pierce was made with Joan Crawford in the title role. I always remember it as being so sad!I've still got my Brighton Pavilion postcard that you sent. Nearest I'll ever get methinks! I love your new kaftan, so bright and cheery and those earrings will be a perfect accompaniment. I painted my garden gate on Sunday and replaced the numberplate with a nice one I've had for about 15 years. That's how quickly DIY gets done around here. I would choose the Russian Doll! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would choose that! Well it may take 15 years for the diy but round here it doesnt get down after 27 years!

      Delete
  4. I love seeing your Brighton pictures Betty. Oooh, I used to love a good ferret around the lanes. I cried and cried when I left that town (had to go where work was). Re. snoopers - I've always wanted a creepy skull collection, though I don't actually own any. Great find with the orange tunic top. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're set up for a project now. I beed to focus on my house but am eager for some good day trips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. exquisite images dear Betty :)

    i loved the first one most ,such an adorable doll :)

    your new outfit is gorgeous indeed and i bet ear rings go great with it :)

    i liked the store inner glimpse ,more like our dollar stores ,filled with so many intriguing things :)
    yes i too just like you buy when it is needed ,otherwise i like eyes stroll only ,things display delights me .
    how nice you were able to visit this area with a blogger friend once :) how exciting :)
    best wishes for house sale !
    blessings more to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love evrything you picked out! I'll have the Turkish slippers, the Chinoiserie opera coat and one of those shrimping nets to clear out the pond.
    How fabulous is that grafitti?
    You did brilliantly with that fabulous orange kaftan, I love the sequin embellishments and the earrings will be perfect.
    DIY chores are so boring but really satisfying when you get them done, she says sitting in utter chaos reading lovely blogs! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snoopers in Brighton is one of my most favourite places in the world,lol.I just love spending an hour browsing around there when I visit Brighton.In the past I have bought records,vintage scarves,buttons and a lovely vintage purple velvet maxi coat.It would have to be something really special for me to spend any money now.Every thing in my house is 60s stuff and I have put a ban on my self from buying any more...well Hubby has,lol.I just sneak the odd bit in!xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that I have both my COVID shots I am looking forward to getting to places again. Looks like you have had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to see Brighton again! And I love shops like that. Hope all will be open over here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Brighton pictures, such a nice place!
    You are lucky to be able to go out.
    I wish you a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You showed us a lot of goodies in your Emporium photos and I would like to visit the Brighton Pavilion, it looks perhaps Indian.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look like a shop I would love to see, I am also not much of shopper.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed this post! It felt like I went on the trip WITH you! So many lovely things in the shops in Brighton! The Tiffany lamp is my favourite!
    How lovely to be on the beach! I WOULD swim if I had the opportunity and someone to egg me on!
    Your new kaftan is really lovely! I love the colour and the sparkles. I found a lovely vintage kaftan in the Salvation Army charity shop on Saturday which I'm really pleased with though I wish I'd bought the other one they had now as well!
    I can't wait to swim again- your swim sounds ideal! I do have a swimming pool 2 miles from me- I can walk there- maybe I'll have a visit if things continue to go ok Covid-wise- I've only been once before!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Betty! I love poking around shops like that! I always look at dishes even though I do not need one more dish!
    Your eBay find is gorgeous! It looks like YOU! Your breakfasts sound yummy, too! I hope you have a nice work week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.