Sunday, 11 April 2021

The New Normal: Early Bluebells at the Windmill

 On Sunday morning, as I sipped my smoothie at the window (oat, milk, banana, apple and cinnamon) something bright green in the trees caught my eye - it was a parakeet, he was interested in the bird feeder but spent most of his time up in the trees where I couldn't get a picture of him close up.




Parakeets are apparently becoming a fairly common sight in parts of Surrey although it's the first I have seen                BBC - The tropical birds who have made their home in Surrey


After my morning row (25 minutes) I caught up on blogland then painted my nails with 'Damson' .  This was one I had forgotten to use that came in a bundle from Barry M bought at the beginning of lockdown last year online (not my usual style but fun for a change).


We hadn't been for a walk out of our immediate area for months so, with the easing of restrictions on travel, we felt able to take a five mile drive to the windmill at Outwood for a walk in the woods.  
 



Built in 1665 the windmill at Outwood, Surrey, is Britain's oldest working windmill. |It was up for sale in 2018 for £800,000 which seemed a bargain.  It is a very beautiful piece of British heritage yet sadly the sails have some damage.  Although pre-Covid it was open to the public and clearly an important part of our landscape, worthy of preserving, perhaps it hasn't had the revenue it needs as the sails have some visible damage and it looks in need of funding. 


The surrounding farmland and ancient woodland are beautiful and before Covid restrictions attracted  large numbers of people to see the bluebells.
.  





I was surprised to find wood anemone and the first bluebells already in flower.  
In a few weeks the woodland here will be carpeted in blue.



Outwood forms part of the Harewoods Estate which is managed by The National Trust.
 We are very lucky to live so close to this beautiful place and to be able to come 
here frequently.



Non essential shops in England re-open on Monday so whilst hubby watched the European championship rowing on tv (yawn) I spent some time bagging up a few things ready to take to the charity shops - I hope to do this in the coming week on a trip to Brighton yay! - I have only been there once in the last year when I took a walk with hubby from the Marina to Hove in November (on his birthday); all the shops were closed and it was cold. 

The lawn had some bare patches so late afternoon I got to work with seed and top soil and then gave my car a good wash, then planted some nasturtium seeds in pots to transplant into the garden next month. I am now going to slump in a garden chair with a blanket and have 40 winks!  Dinner will be veggie chick pea burgers and salad and the evening is planned to include rum and coke whilst watching the last couple of episodes of Keeping Faith on BBC Iplayer.

How's your weekend going?









9 comments:

  1. You've got beautiful fingers! I like the blue painted nails and your rings.
    Interesting info on the windmill at Outwood1 The old windmill looks quite impressive in both of your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are blooming here in Oregon! The tulip farm s ablaze with color, daffy-dils wave their uniqueness in the breeze, and sprouts are starting to reveal themselves like a striptease dancer. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your smoothie looks amazing and healthy dear Betty :)

    i loved your nail polish most ,yes blue is my favorite and i used to have such nail color in past that i would use during attending family parties .it is looking so pretty on your nails !
    you live in such a lovely and lush area ,thank you for GORGEOUS glimpse ,i loved the virtual tour so much.
    loved the parrot shot either ,here we have them when sunflowers bloom but they are always so fast to realize and fly away .best wishes for your days ahead my fiend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Betty! The windmill is lovely! We drove up to see our son's family yesterday and there was so much traffic on the highway! I guess people are out and about even though they can't do everything and go everywhere yet.
    You had a busy day! And you got a lot accomplished!
    I have lots of computer work to do today and finishing two Bible studies and knitting, of course.
    God be with you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damson's one of my Barry M favourites, it looks lovely on you!
    Those parakeets are always in the trees at the End of the Road festival, I couldn't believe my eyes when I first spotted them. You did well to photograph him.
    That windmill is stunning and I love the profusion of staddle stones leading up to it. You're right, £800,000 doesn't seem too bad when you see some of those awful plate glass town centre apartments with no gardens up for a million quid.
    Look at those lovely flowers!
    Hope you enjoyed your tea and your nap! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a full weekend Betty! :) I love your nail colour. I haven't painted my nails in years...I can never keep up with the chips lol...the windmill is beautiful, too bad about the damage, I hope it gets the love it needs. And a parakeet! How nice! :) I spent the weekend at home with my dogs. It's cold and rainy out there, goes right through the bones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like oatmilk.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your nails look perfect! Your blog title would make a good title for a book!Can't believe the amount of people south of the border who headed for Primark!!Glad you weren't one of them. Dare I say that I miss the bluebell wood at work? Have a good week.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Betty, that windmill's a reet 'ansum one isn't it! I have a similar lovely blue nail varnish though it lasts the whole of two days with my rough working hands :0 I have fond memories of Brighton seafront. When I was a student, I lived a stone's throw away in Kemptown. At the weekends I worked at a greasy spoon cafe, serving still drunk clubbers and drag queens breakfasts. Later on I had a job in Hove and used to cycle via the seafront. Good times. Enjoy your visit, Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.