Wednesday, 14 April 2021

The New Normal: Day Out





 On Monday the lockdown eased as non essential shops in England re-opened.  
Despite snow earlier in the morning, I decided to visit Brighton - my favourite seaside town and a great place to find clothes that everyone else isn't wearing!

I hadn't been on a train for a year and was so excited that I blindly jumped on the one coming in to my platlform, only to find 3 stops later 
I was on the wrong one and had to change trains!

This little cafe is next to a houseplant shop - they had put tables and chairs outside, surrounded by the plants, so within current distancing guidelines, but it felt very cosy - I should think it helped plant sales too!



The window boxes were actually potted plants for sale, straight from their delivery trays, cleverly displayed



I stopped at Snoopers in The Lanes, it's made up of units that are rented out by small traders 

 - the attic floor is stuffed with vintage clothes and has
a huge selection of beautiful vintage lingerie and kimonos for glamourous loungewear.
Downstairs is tattier but still fun - I quite liked this suede fringe waistcoat but it wasn't my size :)
it's not just clothing, there are antiques and bric-a-brac of every description.



I love looking along the small side streets in Brighton to see how people decorate their homes 
this seagull and boat is very nautical but so high up it could easily be missed.



There's plenty of bling and glamour to be found....



and the posters and wall art change frequently ....


crossing the road is a colourful experience on this crossing..


decorative walls are everywhere



Interesting murals pop up overnight


It felt strange to be walking through The Lanes with so many people near me after a year of avoiding them!  I knew there were queues at the high street shops but they aren't my thing, the small retailers had limits on the number of people allowed inside (average 2 or 4) but no queues.

It was a lovely day out although too cold for the beach.  I did make a purchase - an Indian cotton hand printed kaftan - which I will wear when it's warmer.  After such a long time between visits, even the train ride home felt exciting!



20 comments:

  1. I’m sure it was exciting!
    I love Brighton shops, they are mostly shops from London. Very attractive town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes a lot of high street names although I prefer the small retailers :)

      Delete
  2. I have been in that little cafe, it was so pretty with plants everywhere. I'm not sure when we will get back to Brighton, if ever, but would like to dream of a day meeting up with you...one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is so pretty and the plant shop is very tempting, I am sure we will meet again, we had such a lovely time at the Pavillion I often think about it :)

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your purchase - the indian cotton kaftan! I'm very fond of indian fabrics, clothing, kitchenware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kitchenware - that's interesting - yes, me too :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you were able to get out and visit some of the shops. I've never been to Brighton but last night Rick Steves' television show was there and it looked like a fun and interesting place to be. I really liked the spots you chose to show us. I think those would be my kind of stores, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to find that tv program on catch up thanks for mentioning

      Delete
  5. some day, in a probably way distant future, when other countries think it is safe to let Americans in again, I have Brighton on my list to visit in our next UK trip. How I didn't make time for it seven years ago was a lost opportunity. I love seaside towns anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do make it, it's got so much to offer :)

      Delete
  6. Brighton rocks! One day I'll come to Brighton and you can give me a tour of all your fave haunts. I might even buy a kaftan but by that time, I hope they do them in XXXL!I love all the mural work. Speak soon pal.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol you would have so much fun in The Lanes Anne I would love to take you round one day :)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous photos, Betty! I love the look of that florist's shop and the street art and am not at all surprised that you got off the train three stops too early - that's exactly the kind of thing I'd do, too!
    I took Jon to Brighton for his 30th birthday - 24 years ago and had a fab time. I loved the shops in The Lanes. There was a really quirky shop selling vintage communist propaganda posters and I bought a fantastic Chairman Mao one which the buyer of our last housebegged for me to leave behind. Loved the colourful houses in Kempstown and ended up painting the exterior windows and door of our old house turquoise because I was so inspired.
    Dying to see the kaftan. Was it from Audrey? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kaftan was from Jaba yard - must do a pic when we get a warmer day! its prob more for a beach trip tbh. Brighton is made for you Vix and it changes all the time, so never boring - maybe you will do a fixture for Kinky's rails there when things get running again.

      Delete
  8. Lovely little community. Looks like the plant place had gerniums. Mine is blooming now.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your Brighton pictures Betty, they are fab! I used to love wandering around the lanes bargain hunting. A little bit more off the beaten track, there used to be a couple of great charity shops up St James Street, and a bright pink fleamarket heading towards Kemptown. I also loved a pub crawl around Hanover where I also lived for a bit. That's the part with all the lovely seasidy coloured terraced houses and VERY steep hills. 'Muesli Triangle' as some of the locals called it. The pubs looked like someone's front room. Have you ever been inside the Royal Pavillion? Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw the Pavillion with ElizabethD blogger a few years back when we have met up in Brighton a couple of times :) will check out the Kemptown end soon thanks for the tip:)

      Delete
  10. p.s. Betty, just searched for it and it looks like the Pink Fleamarket in Kemptown is still there :) xXx
    https://www.brightonfleamarket.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how exciting! like Snoopers but better! can't wait until it re-opens as it's on my to do list now! (June) thank you so much for sharing :)

      Delete
  11. I loved these views of artistry! So unique and fun! Thanks for sharing. There is a town near me in Oregon called Silverton and they have so many wonderful murals. You would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.