Monday, 15 March 2021

The New Normal: Less is More


It's been windy and stormy here, I spent
a lot of time on my walk today looking at fast moving clouds



and searching out blossom, most is tightly in bud but I found this little bit in the woods.


I am trying 'fast painting' with my library book (below)
The idea is to use just a few primary colours in the palette, mix your own colours if you need more;
work fast and not allow any analysing, pondering or perfecting - it encourages you to go out of your 
usual comfortable style and splash it all about a bit ...



Not sure it's my thing but am giving it a go

Mollie dozed with one eye open while the paints were flying....
she's not curling up in a defensive little ball when she sleeps now - she stretches like this.



Some blossom for my March journal page, these were of the slow, ponderingly painted variety....


and then some blossom ... fast painting style!


Think I like the fast style better - what about you?


A huge array of colours to choose from - but in the palette only red blue and yellow, the only colour I needed to mix was blue/yellow for green and added red for the brown - yes! less is more  - for now anyway.

Here's another less is more philosophy.   My new book, which is going to be a fabulous read
 - I had requested from the library (as that way I don't commit to a spend without being sure), but they haven't got it in yet and seven people are waiting in front of me.  





Then my friend Vix blogged about this book at the weekend, she did a great review, I was transfixed - couldn't wait - didn't need to, had a voucher waiting to be used, got it! good old Amazon!

Thought I would introduce you to some blogging friends I follow that are very good at 'less is more' in one way or another...

Vix: an expert in finding amazing vintage and ethnic clothing and wearing it in original and fun ways. Her whole home is full of interesting things that have been given, found or charity shopped and remade or transformed in some way to suit her home (patchwork curtains come to mind).

Julie who makes beautiful things for the home using preloved furniture (paints/embelishes), vintage china (filled with her fragrant candles), old lace and haberdashery (made into ornaments, wall hangings, toys).

Anne who squirrels away yarn and regularly scouts charity shops for pretty things and makes very lovely crochet and knitwear from her stash.

Hazel who has made a stylish capsule wardrobe every year from pre-loved clothing within a pre-set annual budget.

Know any 'less is more' bloggers you would like to introduce?










14 comments:

  1. Think I prefer your 'slow' painting approach. I love the new blossom painting. The colours are wonderful. I'm glad Mollie is beginning to relax at home now. She's looking really healthy. Thanks for including me with such an estimable bunch of talented folks but I've a long way to catch up with any of them!That book looks interesting. I'd love to experience the joy of rewearing some of my clothes, if only I could fit into them!!Have a great week, Betty.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do so well in your painting. Thanks for info on other sites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's one relaxed pusscat!
    I love the slow approach to watercolours, your art is looking beautiful and if we've learnt anything from this last year it's the joy of slowing down and taking our time over things.
    I'm hugely flattered by the mention and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the book! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the links - the clothes issue has been on my mind recently. (First world problems.) I have lots of clothes, most of which I never wear and the most worn are now too tight because of my Lockdown excesses. I am trying to mend things with holes (today's favourite tunic) and investigate websites like Loopster - deliberately selling only pre-owned or old stock. I'll not comment on the paintings! I love them both x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I think about clothes too much, Betty!
    I like the idea of painting fast so thinking too much doesn't get in the way. I love both!
    I did pre order a book that was one of those "yes, for sure" types like the one you feature. It's Sonya Phillips's new book and it comes with patterns. It's called The Act of Sewing.
    Mollie looks so sweet. I'm glad she is adjusting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Betty! Thank you so much for coming by The Marmelade Gypsy today. It's such a pleasure to meet you and see your lovely blog. I've been reading down a few posts. I'm guessing your Mollie-cat is a relatively new resident. She's lovely. I can relate to the claws. Lizzies are terrible and she won't let me clip them. Periodically, my visiting vet stops by if she's in the neighborhood! It's such a relief when she does.

    I paint too, and I have to tell you how much I love seeing your wonderful floral paintings and I look forward to visiting and seeing more. The fast painting sounds very interesting. I tend to take a long time with my watercolor and could do with a little loosening up! I need to check that book out.

    I hope to visit again and see you at Marmelade Gypsy, too! ~ jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Betty - I actually love both your blossom paintings. To me they are both beautiful & I wish I could paint like you can but alas - I think I shall stick to furniture & wooden items. It looks like Mollie is definately getting more relaxed all stretched out like that. They really do teach us that perseverance pays off Betty - she looks so happy & content there. Thank You so much for the blog mention my friend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ps. let me know if you enjoy that book as I shall ask my Library if they have it - it looks most interesting & I love it when other blogger recommend books. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer the fast painting, but both looks very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Betty,

    That watercolours book looks like good fun. I like the idea of doing timed works. We used to do that in lifedrawing class - warm up with 30 second sketches, then two minutes, 10 minutes, onto 20 minutes. Once we even did a peep then blindfold experiment :0 ;) Your blossom paintings are beautiful.

    I love the way Mollie is letting it all hang out.

    Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  11. i loved your paintings they are GORGEOUS !!!

    best of luck for the read you waiting for .
    how great that Mollie feels at home now :)
    i visited all the blogs ,they all are remarkable .
    more health ,peace and joy to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cat is such a sweetie and I love how she is blossoming in your home!
    I couldn't choose between the two blossom paintings- both were lovely! I DO love watercolours! So beautiful!
    I don't think I am good at 'less is more' in terms of owningTHINGS(as I have lots of things though most and the many of them are preloved) but I am REALLY good at reusing packaging and avoiding new packaging as much as possible. A year ago or so, I did an Eco Things post every other week with new swaps I tried to make or things I tried to do. I managed to go the entire way to Italy by train and back without taking any disposables or ever buying bottled water and brought ALL my recycling home with me despite all my luggage and the amount of changes I made. At school, I go down everyone's recycling bins and take out all the one-sided paper and print all my music worksheets onto the backs of those so I don't have to use virgin new paper. I reduce the size of everything if I can, so I can fit two sheets on one page, I made all the labels for the cornets at school out of cut out cardboard boxes, I take home all the staffroom recycling in my bike pannier, I bring home all the teabags to rip open to put in the compost, I reuse my own containers at the Chinese takeaway and any other place that will actually use them. I have used cotton hankies for ten years or more and I make hankies our of old garments, I save and reuse all old packaging and pass on the good stuff to friends who sell on Etsy. I haven't bought shower gel in a new plastic bottle for over 2 years now as I buy it from a refill shop, the same with cleaning products.
    But there is still more I can and should do. This year, my challenge is only to buy one item of clothing a month maximum to stop me expanding my wardrobe any more. Again, I need to think of more things I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm all for 'less is more' and 'giving it a go'. These are great principles in every life aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked the slow and fast blossoms. Mollie looks really comfy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.