Friday, 26 February 2021

The New Normal: Seed Heads

 Thank you for all the happy birthday messages - I'm a big 62 but still feel 21!


I am very lucky to have so many blogging friends, some I have met and hope to see again, more blogging friends too who keep in touch by email and post.    I had a really lovely day with hubby and my sons as we are all under the same roof so lockdown didn't spoil things.  There were lots of cards and pressies (chocolates, freshly made/delivered brownies, hyacinth bulbs in bud, vouchers, a colouring book, new shiny boots, flower seeds for the garden and the perfect end to the day; a glass of wine sipped while hubby cooked me veggie mushroom stroganoff.  My friend Anne devoted a whole blog post to me! that was a lovely surprise  :) 


This week's painting  was inspired by lino cutting images I have seen recently online.  



There are seed heads in the fields around here.  I like their colour and structure and am always tempted to pick them, but know they are messy and will drop everywhere!




On my walks in the woods I am looking out for signs of the little yellow star shapes of celandine which, for me, say Spring is here.  We can hear deer in the woods at night and the owl  too, woodpeckers were hammering this afternoon.  It feels like the woods are awakening from a long sleep.

Our house, Touchwood, is back on the market.  Already we have two viewers today.  We can't look at houses until we have an offer on ours, so it will probably be a slow process.  We are very attached to our home but it is time for a new chapter in our lives now, both our sons need their independence too.  As you can see I am doing a good job of convincing myself, it's surprising how emotionally attached you can be to a home, but it holds lots of happy memories... 



18 comments:

  1. It is fun to find inspiration in nature. I find that through photography. Anytime yu want feel free to use my pictures to paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Rose, what a nice offer I am sure to take you up on it soon :)

      Delete
  2. How did I miss that? Belated birthday wishes, dear Betty, and may there be many more. Glad you had such a nice day. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope there will be many more too lol!

      Delete
  3. Lovely paintings- so warm. Happy belated birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's beautiful and inspiring birthday..glad you had a good one x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autocorrect is a pain, but I got the gist of it - thanks!

      Delete
  5. What a.... bothersome autucorrect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new painting. Let me know how you got on with the viewings. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm delighted to hear that you were spoilt on your birthday, you deserve it. I'm looking forward to seeing your shiny new boots! Love tha card with the little girl and the cat.
    Your lino printing inspired painting is gorgeous, I'd love that printed along the hem of a skirt.
    How exciting about the big move! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes on a hem would be very pretty - I would like it on a voil to hang over a window in the breeze (especially if I lived in a tree house!)

      Delete
  8. A very Happy belated Birthday! And thank you for your visit and message.
    Hugs Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday. Your year older then me. I turn sixty one on 12th of Febraury. Lovely water colors paintings.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Betty love. Drat, I seem to behind on blog reading again! ***A belated happy birthday to you (party popper, glitter explosions, glass of something bubbly)*** Glad you got spoiled with all those lovely pressies. The umbellifer seed head painting is gorgeous. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes the toughest part of selling a house are memories attached to it .i think we are more than half of our memories which help to move us further in many ways and nurture our present moments knowingly or unknowingly somehow .but yes sometimes it is better to take new start and form new memories :)
    how sweet sound your friend Anne :) it must be great pleasure to meet blogger friends in person .
    Wishing you a happy birthday dear friend may you witness many more with loved ones !amen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday- which day was yours- mine was the 28th!
    Celandine is lovely! I enjoyed seeing it on my walk last week! I love the Seedhead picture!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.