Forgot I started a nature journal, this is the page from my sketchbook for January.
We had a lot of blue tits in the garden on the apple tree, probably eating small insects. Snowdrops were out in small clumps in the lanes around the fields on our daily walks and catkins, still out in abundance in the woods behind our house.
Today we did a two hour walk and I noticed bluebell and wood anemone foliage is carpeting some areas. Can't wait for the flowers but they are some way ahead yet. Also the birds are noisy but no sign of nesting so I don't think Spring is here just yet.
We walked up to a smallholding near us that sells garden plants and vegetables. He was able to tell us which tomatoes he is planting up for April sales and confirmed he will be doing hanging baskets, we can choose and reserve ours for late April collection. We like buying from him so we can support a small business. We will grow some veg from seeds ourselves too but he has things we don't have room to nurture :)
Today I am moving my tubs round so I can see the daffodils from my kitchen window as they unfurl. How's your garden growing ?


I love to see what you are painting, Betty.Blue tits are on our feeders as well as Great and Coal tits. Spring flowers are beginning to fill the grey hole of Winter.
ReplyDeletecertainly is a big hole to fill this year! I could do with a flower on every blade of grass here - I expect you feel the same. It's been a long time since we could feel optimistic about the future but Boris brought hopeful news - we may meet again, hope so :)
DeleteSomething to kook forward to.
DeleteYou art work is gorgeous, I really love that blue tit!
ReplyDeleteJon's written a list of what we will be planting this year, I haven't seen it yet! xxx
Thanks Vix, look forward to seeing Jon's list - we need to do that (on a smaller scale lol!)
DeleteI moved my tulips into view this morning and finally planted up the primroses I bought 3 weeks' ago!!It was such a lovely start to the day then the rains came! Our First Minister brought hopeful news today too but she's not rushing us into arbitrary action too soon. I think she's going for 'zero Covid' conditions but that will be very difficult to achieve unless people get a grip and do as expected of them! Love your sketchbook page!xxx
ReplyDeleteThanks Anne, I love this time of year when we move our pots of bulbs around to get a glimpse of colour from the warm indoors, watch things unfurling in the garden. Your Minister always errs on the side of caution which is a good thing.
DeleteHi Betty! We have to wait so long for spring. I am going to start my zinnias in peat pots and place them in the window sills. Bunnies feast on the seedlings as them pop up outside so I 'm trying to foil the rabbits.
ReplyDeleteI think I would quite like the bunnies and would put the flowers in pots or hangers and leave piles of carrots, we see tiny bunnies like miniatures out on the grass verges near the airport and I could just stop driving and scoop one up ...people throw cabbages and cauliflowers for them (spoils the landscape a bit but probably soon devoured)
DeleteNo real sign of spring, except it staying lighter longer.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
Yes lighter longer, and earlier too here which I love. Dark mornings can be depressing.
DeleteGosh your Nature Journal looks so wonderful Betty. Good on you for supporting smaller business's as I have been really trying to do this also. Anne said in her blog post it was your birthday so I just wanted to wish you a VERY Happy Birthday Betty. Hope your day is wonderful xx
ReplyDeleteYes what a fabulous surprise that was, a whole post devoted to me. Supporting smaller businesses hasn't been hard for us as we are in a small town - the shoe repairer, I had never been in there in 27 years - turned out to be cheaper than the big chain name, friendly, did a really good quality job too.
DeleteLove your sketchbook - you are so talented. Lots of spring in my garden tubs - crocuses, daffs, snowdrops, cyclamen and blue tits checking out the nest box upstairs. Lovely!
ReplyDeleteyou have a nest box? how wonderful, no chance of that for me with a cat but I can't have it all!
DeleteI agree with Flowerpot Sue, the sketchbook is lovely! I especially love the catkins. I tried painting some hyacinths (will share in next post). My scented Paperwhites have come out! What will you do with your lemons Betty? Lulu x
ReplyDeleteLulu we slice the lemons and put them in gin and tonic! however, I thought I might try preserving some in a glass jar with salt this time... they are so beautiful.
Delete