Monday, 1 February 2021

The New Normal: Rowing and things


I'm sitting in my cosy lounge this morning, I got up early and gave it a good clean and, whilst sitting here, have noticed a lot of small birds visit the  porch roof guttering by the window probably to get a sip of water, Mollie cat doesn't know - I could put a little bird feeder there......


Note the mohair blanket you gave me Anne? I treasure it

 Our average lockdown day just got 200% better!  our new rowing machine arrived, built and shipped from Canada, we have waited since last Summer.  It was worth the wait and arrived well packed with minimal assembly.  So for the home gym (our garage) it fits perfectly and has made the three men plus me very happy.

 

I have been doing short workouts with Lucy Wyndham-Reid on Youtube - she really inspired and motivated me through the lockdowns and I love the way her cat wanders across camera regularly!




I had time for some painting this week - experimenting with wet in wet which I can't get the hang of so will persevere.  



Mollie cat came and lay on the table to get my attention - the first time she has ever done that - I have found the more I ignore her and stop trying so hard, the more she comes to me!  It's so lovely to see her gradually becoming more confident that she's part of our family :)  




I spent ages on EBay this week searching for vintage kaftans of the Adini style - they are out there but out of my price range - but then  I found something I wasn't looking for (Kushi Indian cotton tops for the Summer) and made a silly offer which was accepted).   I also have some dangly Afghan earrings my friend Vix pointed me to but haven't taken a pic yet.  

We have been watching:
 
It's a Sin, Source:  Metro News

In another life in the early 80s I worked in a gay East London nightclub to boost my office day job income, we were given really nice little dresses to wear, all made by one of the other barmaids and we didn't have to work very hard, just pour drinks and polish mirrors.  This series, especially the well chosen music,  reminds me of those days.


Source: Amazon


As I worked Saturday the weekend flew by and I tried several times but couldn't get into this book.  On Sunday it was so bitterly cold we cut our walk short.  Hubby found travel videos on You-Tube - there are thousands out there and some are really good,  so we settled down to watch one of Kerala, India, and reminisced about our own travels there not so long ago.........





This is my Winter wardrobe in its entirety - it has everything I need for a week - no kidding.   The only additions being four purl knit jumpers in different colours/same brand (I expect you can guess - one green, grey blue and dark blue) and two sets of gym wear.  I am looking forward to Spring so I can fill it with my summery dresses and kaftans which are currently hidden away in a box. When I peaked in the wardrobe last night, Mollie cat was asleep in the bottom - she likes to find quiet places sometimes as we are a noisy lot.  What's in your wardrobe? are you minimalist like me or someone who has as much colour and variety as they can cram on a hanger?



17 comments:

  1. Your daffodils and tulips are such a joy, especially at this time of year when everything looks so grey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Lidl, they have lasted a week and still going :)

      Delete
  2. Morning Betty. I'm watching a prog on Beeb 1 and thinking about you and S. It's called 'Wanted - A Simple Life'. Have a gander, it's quite interesting. I'm glad there's a little bit of Scotland in your beautiful sitting room! Imagine having your own indoor gym. You're so lucky! I'm glad about Mollie relaxing into her life with you too. She looks happy. My wardrobe still has clothes in it from about 3 decades ago and which I just can't bring myself to chuck, even though they wouldn't fit me where they gripped me anymore!! Have a great week Betty in your cosy house. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the mention, I watched the program last night and really enjoyed it - got us all stirred up again. Don't chuck stuff out - I regret doing so, so many times! Things always come back in fashion and we go up and down in size ... wish I had kept my thigh length leather boots, mums sheepskin coat, long layered petticoats ... oh well :)

      Delete
  3. It's lovely to hear how Mollie cat is settling in, the way she's perched by your lovely painting looks like a hint yo me that she'd like to be your next subject!
    That rowing machine looks scary!
    How neat is your wardrobe? I'm good in that I only have one garment per hanger and that only the clothes I wear now are in there, the strappy summery stuff and flamboyant festival wear is tucked away in a suitcase waiting for life to return to normal!
    looking forward to seeing your latest eBay find. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah i am not good at drawing cats - I could manage her big eyes though! I think my wardrobe needs messing up a bit - I took a snap to motivate myself as when I used to go shopping I would take a pic with me so I could match the things I was going to buy - I seem to have a navy blue overload!

      Delete
  4. I so look forward to later this year when Covid is handled. I want to do some traveling with my man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you can Rose, my son said the other day he would rather be my age as at least he would have done lots of travelling, I felt sad as there is so much to see and it will be years, if ever, before travel is taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved It's A Sin and binge watched it. It reminded me of my early 20s in the 80s and I couldn't resist posting about it too.
    Your cat is beautiful. I wish I weren't allergic to cats.
    STay safe,
    Jane X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you like your rowing machine.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. A little bird feeder in a hidden spot would be lovely! I’d loved more feeders but Socks, it turns out, it a good climber, so I have one feeder in the walnut tree out of his reach.
    Your rowing machine looks very professional - worth the wait.
    I like the wet in wet style of watercolours, I like the lodges and bleeding it can create - to lovely effect. It’s the only paint were you can get that effect so I say exploit it, and have fun with it!
    My cats are the same. If I don’t want them near me (like on my desk when I’m trying to work) they’re all over me but when I want their attention they ignore me! Fickle creatures!! Lovely that Mollie is settling in though :)
    Life is too short for a boring book, pick another!
    I wish my wardrobe was so neat and streamlined. As you know I have far too many clothes.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats great that Mollie is making those small steps forward Betty ... they teach up great patience while we wait for them to accept us!! Your new rowing machine will be great. I really must dust the cobwebs off our old one & give it some use. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice to hear about Mollie's progress!
    Hurrah for the rowing machine- that's great!
    I often look for those kaftans too and never find anything that I can afford or like enough.
    I bought Daffodils last week and they make you SO cheerful! I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely painting. I do Lucy Wyndham 7 min videos every day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Betty, yay to the rowing machine! There was one at the old outdoor fitness place I used to go to (before the first lockdown) and an awesome lady who does gig racing showed me how to properly use it (I had been doing it wrong for years!).

    I love your wet-on-wet watercolour painting! I have been experimenting with this technique too, as I was trying to use watercolours like acrylic or oil, which it is most certainly not!

    Old rescue cat Deidre Rachid would often swipe a paw out at me when I tried to remove something from the top shelf of the wardrobe. I have lots of outrageous clothes, but rarely the balls to wear them. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...your spring flowers put a spring in my stepon this cold winter day, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh gosh Betty...."wardrobe" isn't even a part of my vocabulary anymore lol...I LIVE in pajamas. When I go out, its jeans and a tshirt...in the winter, it's a snowsuit. I do have nice comfy feminine pj's though! :) Molly is so cute, I'm glad she's warming up to you! Oh your painting is pretty! I'm not used to wet on wet yet...I have this crazy need to fill the page with colour everywhere, I need to relax with my paintings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.