Wednesday, 27 January 2021

The New Normal: Snow

 We got snow - and went for a lovely long walk - don't boots crunching on snow sound lovely?  We had hot chocolate takeaway from a little cafe near us that is struggling to survive (it's dog friendly and the cake selection case includes bags of doggie treats!)




I painted another birthday card  -  all my friends have birthdays this month!
I delivered the card and some flowers round to my friend on the route to work
to pick up a new laptop.  This  enables me to work in
the cosy warmth of our kitchen rather than the big set up in the cold conservatory.
Luxury!


The office is closed, we are all working from home but are able to go in to collect work related equipment from the building management team.  There is a lot of red tape but I am so happy to have my laptop! (you may think why not just use your own laptop, but the work version has our software, client databases and telephony so is 'built').  On the way back I dropped off all the recycling from the garage and then dropped a parcel off at the post office that has been sitting in my car for ages waiting to go back to the supplier (faulty lamp).  I think I crammed as much as possible into that one essential journey to work!

Oldest son did the online food shop this week.   I am sharing things that I consider 'my job' .  Our sons are capable cooks but don't usually shop for the whole family food shop, just for themselves when we are away.   I want to ensure they have experience of managing a family budget.   Son One did well and managed to get himself a case of beer on the delivery so is clearly capable of prioritising!    Next week  Son Two will take a turn.  


last night he had stir fry planned for our dinner - it was fun to have things done a bit differently!    

That's all from me, I have been working ,so not much else to report.  I have 2 days off before the weekend shift and plan to catch up on your blogs and dig out my library books.  How's your week going?





13 comments:

  1. Glad you can work in the warm now! Another fantastic and pretty card! You've just reminded me I have a library book to pick up today, you get an allotted time to go there and mustn't be late! Glad you're having time off this week too. Happy weekend when it arrives.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to have snow, we have rain. Such a good idea to equip the young with the tools to cope with life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been very productive. I have just about managed to learn how to access Google Classroom on a chromebook! We had snow deep enough for scrunching at the weekend and it did us all so much good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely birthday card. Well done to your son with the food shopping. My eldest is at university, sharing a house with a friend, and does a meal plan each week before she goes shopping and compares prices to make sure she gets the best deal. My other 3 Daughters all have to help around the house in return for their pocket money - cleaning bathrooms, emptying dishwasher etc. The middle two Daughters have part time jobs and are well aware of how to budget for things they want. It sets them up for when they leave home and have their own place

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so admire the way you let the lads do the shopping and cooking, how it should be done.
    That stur-fry looks delcious.
    Your card is absolutely lovely, proper cheery.
    The snow has been a bit of a welcome distraction, hasn't it? We've got more on the way on saturday by the looks of it.
    I'm glad you're able to worjk in the warmth of the kitchen! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous birthday card Betty & that meal your son cooked looks so delicious. I am glad you can now work in the warm kitchen - will be much better than being cold. I am also glad your son got his priorities right with the grocery shop - beer is very important !!!! (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely card and snow - you are so lucky.
    We rarely get it here.
    I don't think I would let my sons loose on the online shop as beer would be a priority.
    I wish they ration that instead of finest clementines.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Jane X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky, lucky doggies! …Doggies that like to lunch! Haha, I’ve got this image of them all hanging out by the café, with Cappuccinos and treat bags.

    I bet your friend loved that Daffodil card… gorgeous! I like your eldest son’s food priorities. Enjoy the warmth this weekend with your new laptop! Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like home made cards and such. Stir fry does look yummy.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. how nice that you can use your laptop in warm kitchen now :)

    congratulations for the new one dear Betty :)

    Oh this birthday flowering card looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL !!!
    such a delightful painting ! how wonderful that all friends of your have their birthdays in next month :) that is amazing and rare
    i am happy for the success of your dear son ,hope you son two does it better either
    food made by your son is splendid :)
    health ,,peace and happiness to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sound of walking on snow is a delight!
    You really did cram a lot into that one journey. I think I'm going to have to leave the farm soon, I'm getting cabin fever. My daily exercise might have to include a drive and walk to the post office, and a stop at the glass recycling drop off.
    Well done on delegating! I hope you don't go hungry because of that case of beer ;)
    I looked into my library like you suggested and it does lend audio books and ebooks. I don;t have a kindle but if there is a book I particularly want I might try an audio book until the library opens again. I think I'll always prefer the printed word but I cant hide from this new book technology forever...
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hot chocolate and crunchy snow sounds wonderfully cozy! :)) Your painting is so pretty Betty! :) My week has been challenging, it continues to be. This too shall pass! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so use to snow. But I sure don't like being stuck in it with car.
    Sure is pretty card.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.