Sunday, 14 February 2021

The New Normal: A lockdown Sunday

 Sunday:  It was much warmer today though still in single figures but after 30 minutes on my rowing machine at 7am I was nice and toasty for my walk.  The snow is melting now but it was still pretty....



I have had this Boden wax coat for many years (it even kept me cosy in -16 temperatures in Krakow a few years back) but I do feel the cold in my fingers a lot lately and have yet to find gloves that are warm




Hubby took this pic last week as the fields were frozen over, we never saw that here before.  I went back to take another look this morning.  After a chilly walk I had hot chocolate and chocolate croissants for a late breakfast.... special Valentines weekend treat :)



I don't think you want to know that on my walk I took a bag of chopped apples for the squirrels, that I trudged across three fields because I couldn't find my way across the ditch back home by myself even though I'm a grown up ... or that I saw a lot of dog poo bags slung in trees - that really annoys me... why not just take it home, they have poo bins all over the place here too.



The fields are pretty but frozen solid in places with excess water from the recent heavy rains/flooding.  I noticed some ditches have been cleared and some new mini bridges have been made over them to facilitate an easier riverside walk (when I walked the rescue dogs, some of them refused to use the little wooden bridges and had to be carried over!).

Never mind, the afternoon was nice as I settled down to a spot of watercolour practice via a helpful tutorial I found  online *here* for how to paint a lemon - in case you don't know what it is!  I think it needs to be a bit more 3d.  


Below is some of the lovely detail on the two recent Kushi tops I won on EBay, one sleeveless, one long sleeves - they are probably quite old, I would like to think 'vintage'  advertised as deadstock, unworn.  It's just too cold to model them so I have washed them and put them away for Spring. 


and these are my new Afghan made earrings, aren't they lovely? nice big wires which I usually can't find so am very pleased - my buddy Vix put me on to them but I can't share the link as the seller has now disappeared from EBay - not surprisingly as they were virtually giving them away.



So the rest of the day has been cooking the men a roast dinner, getting a lot of laundry done and watching Joanna Lumley on her travels around the UK  on tv  (itv)  I do admire her - she's so elegant and beautiful.  She visited Scotland and went to see how Harris tweed is made, she was wearing a Jean Muir vintage Harris tweed coat of her own, she puts a lot of thought into her outfits and has fun with colour.

Well, that's all from me ...we now have torrential rain, a bottle of cider and a game of trainee chess lined up and Mollie cat would like to play bouncy ball chase games with me - ... how was your weekend?



13 comments:

  1. Chocolate croissants AND pretty earrings! Lovely. I like the blouses too.I can't imagine summer at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look toasty & warm in that lovely coat Betty. Gosh those new earings are just stunning - such a vivid green. How beautiful. I love Joanna Lumley too & I especially used to love her when she played Patsy in Absolutely Fabulous - she is a wonderful actress. Keep warm Betty xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fabulous in your waxed jacket and hat. Mittens are brilliant for keeping your hands warm as your fingers are all closely packed together - I've just had a quick look on ebay and if you search - sheepskin mittens - UK only - used - there's some lovely ones with very low starting bids.
    Your breakfast looks delicious and well earnt after a workout and a long walk. It's lovely that you feed the squirrels.
    Love your Kushi tunics and those wonderful earrings, you're all ready for a trip when we can go!
    The lemon is fantastic.
    Joanna Lumley is fab, so stylish and really down to earth. The campaigning she did to get justice for the Gurkhas was inspirational. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fingers are always cold as well, even when I'm wearing decent gloves. I find mittens keep me warmer. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stayed home doing some painting in a closet, having a hot chocolate and a cake. My husband went to take the dog for a walk , but ut was too cold for me !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like the lemon. I love the tunics. They look so crisp and fresh and you're earrings look great with them. I'll have to watch the Joanna Lumley prog if only to see her Jean Muir coat! Hope you're having a good week, Betty. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand why people pick up after their dogs only to litter with the bags! Stupid people. This plastic ends up in streams, rivers and eventually the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Betty, you look lovely and snug in your snowy outfit. My mother-in-law gifted me soft lined leather gloves a few years ago. I took one look at them and thought 'no, they're not me'... then I tried them on. Even though they're thin, they are so super warm!

    Oh poop bags! There's a mystery bag swinging from a tree branch down my local path. I can't bring myself to dislodge it, just in case it spills everywhere! Now it could be dog poop or it could be a local school lad that disposes of his packed lunches before he gets home. I have found packs of sandwiches in varying states of decomposition thrust into the hedge!

    I love your lemon, it is so cheerily bright and zingy! Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Were they homemade croissants? Sounds good! We still have no power at my home so staying with fiancé as he got his electricity back. Many are still out. We had so much ice, not really any snow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you look nice in warm outfit dear Betty :)
    i share your resentment regarding not using the bin properly ,this happens here either and that makes me sad too

    still this is great you go for walk in snow time too and not skip it
    your lemon is COOL !
    Valentine's day meal looks tasty :)
    i loved these afghan earrings they are so elegant !
    loved the neck needle work ,ladies wear such shirts fondly here too
    best wishes for your days ahead !

    ReplyDelete
  11. croissants never made them and chocolate sounds good.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Betty :) Oh those earrings are cute! I love the hat you're wearing, that must keep you warm and toasty! :) Oooooh chocolate croissants...I must make those one of these days!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I second Vix on the sheepskin mittens! They really are good for keeping you cosy when it is cold! I always used to wear them when walking! I should have got them out last week though I wore waterproof ones for clinging onto fences!
    The Kushi tops sound good! I like the iridescent sequins! The earrings are wonderful too! I love the deep green shade.
    I think your lemon is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.