Thursday, 24 December 2020

The New Normal: Twas the Night Before Christmas.....

 

We are in Tier 4 here so no visitors indoors and only one person distanced meeting outside, only essential shops are open but we had a very good Tesco delivery with everything we need last night.   I am very lucky that I have hubby and both sons living at home and Christmas together.  We have had lots of Christmas cards and many of our neighbours have put up fairy lights outside their houses.  

I did a couple of quick watercolours this morning as thought it would be fun to join in the art theme over at Rain's blog *here* I should have spent more time and effort but sometimes it's just nice to go with the flow last minute kind of thing.....

My idea of Night Before Christmas is a cosy room with a real coal fire and resident cat by the hearth, that sums up the perfect Christmas Eve for me, some presents and a tree, some holly on the mantle.... probably some sherry and a mince pie too - 



But with all the events of 2020, this year feels very Krampus - the dark side.  Krampus is the opposite of Santa Claus, referred to by my parents  as 'Old Nick'  (the devil)... (we were told if you were a bad child you would get no presents  but lumps of coal in your stocking but that never happened).... I watched the film Krampus the other night and felt inspired to paint the Krampus cat below .... the film was full of mischievous spirits like this one...



We don't have a hearth, we might have a Krampus cat though- Mollie is very odd and bitey as she is not yet settled - she trusts me, a bit, but is unpredictable still and it will be a very long time before she is completely settled,  Unfortunately she often regurgitates her food immediately after eating, this is due to being anxious, she also refuses to sit on us or next to us... but if I lie on the floor with her she edges closer and curls her paw round one of my fingers.  


We have lots of fairy lights around the house to make the rooms feel cosy and magical.   
Above is my cosy spot for watching tv....


and this is my cosy spot for not watching tv.... hubby might try and teach me chess again when we sit out here, I couldn't get the hang of it on my last try .


I have received a lot of cards this year ... My favourite is this lovely Krampus card which you can see had some influence on my own krampus cat.  It was sent by my long time blogging buddy, *Anne* who had Covid back in the Spring and is still suffering with the 'long covid' aftermath (let's hope 2021 is a better year for you Anne) ... the beautiful artwork on the card is by Kayleigh Radcliffe



I will ramble now about my childhood, as designed by my eccentric, pagan mother.  We always had a lot of holly and foliage coming in, on mantles and fireplaces, always had oranges and decorated them with cloves, made marzipan filled dates and sugared mice with string tails, coconut ice and mince pies... our tree was usually outside and we hung bacon rind on it for the birds.  


Indoors we hung paper chains from the ceiling and made baubles of flattened foil from the old glass milk bottles we used to have delivered, we would 'emboss' them with stars and patterns by simply drawing into them or making dot impressions and hung them in strings round mirrors.  



I don't remember getting presents regularly but we always found one of our dads old black work socks  on our bed in the morning stuffed with clementines, chocolate cigarettes, coins, hair bobbles and ribbons, a small knitted toy (made by my mother) and a bar of chocolate.  I still remember that happy feeling, delving inside my sock for the treasures, my mother knotted the sock all the way down to make it take a long time to get the contents out! I got as much pleasure again in watching my brothers opening theirs :)  As I got older it was my job to darn these socks for my dad (and sew his shirt buttons on - the reward was a penny).




I think traditions are important to us within families and communities too, they give us identity, a feeling of belonging.   So over the years we have maintained a few traditions and also created a few. 

We made our own family tradition of bringing out home made Christmas sacks every Christmas Eve (and I still fill them with pressies).  I made one each for my sons the year they were born so the reindeer is now 22 and the santa 26 :)   Over the years the tinsel has become a bit tatty but they have held up well.  I've shown these on my blog before, but you can't have the Night Before Christmas without them.



I always make sure my tatty old fairy  makes it to the to the top of the tree. she's about 25 years old, her legs  fall off but she is fixable - I love her feathery skirt and gold wings. 

 
Our traditional night before Christmas is a dinner my hubby's family always had, of a roast ham joint which he cooks.  I'm veggie so will have vegetarian 'sausage' rolls,  the men have their ham with peas pudding (a tradition from the North of England as hubby's family are from Durham).... peas pudding is made from yellow split peas, seasoned, boiled and mashed.  We also have salad, pickles, and small boiled potatoes.  ..***There are some other traditions of the Northern branch of this family, they have their own dialect (Geordie) and they do 'First Footing' on New Year's Day (a man must knock on your door and enter the house to bring you luck as you welcome in the New Year).***



We didn't make our peas pudding this year, we buy this one above.  There's a song about peas pudding from my childhood days (I was born in the North of the UK too so I guess that's where I heard it)...

Peas pudding hot, peas pudding cold, peas pudding in a pot nine days old, some like it hot, some like it cold, some like it from the pot nine days old!  

I don't talk about religion/faith often on my blog these days as I get mixed responses 
(occasionally some are unwanted to be honest) - 
but I have faith and hope just like you
Every blogger who stops here is on their own spiritual journey

So I wish you all that you wish yourself
a very happy Christmas/Yule 
And for all of us a much safer and better New Year 
See you on the other side.







26 comments:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful posting about the Christmas of the past and how it is celebrated now. It was so exciting and touching from your world with the beautiful painted pictures and photos!
    I wish you a Merry Christmas, stay healthy, hugs Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elkes, thanks for visiting - wishing you a wonderful and safe 2021

      Delete
  2. Hi Betty and Happy Holidays!! :) I love your watercolour and your Krampus cat! I felt a little Krampussy myself lately but I'm still going to enjoy the holidays with lots of food and drinks. I'm making my own traditions each year at home as holidays were nothing to be remembered growing up. Although I admit this year, I've been swamped by the new house and lots of the traditions have not happened. I liked hearing about yours and I do know that rhyme about Pease Pudding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rain have loved reading of your progress with the house and think you have done brilliantly - and then to keep the art blog hops going every week - thank you :) Blessings for 2021

      Delete
  3. What a smashing read! I loved hearing about your childhood and the gifts in your Dad's sock.
    Your Krampus and Molly at the hearth paintings are wonderful as are all your family Xmas treasures. It's lovely that your family can be together this Xmas, I bet Molly will get spoiled rotten, too.
    The traditional Black Country dish of "Grey Peas and Bacon" is very similar to the Geordie dishbut as a fellow vegetarian I'll be tucking into a veggie pizza later!
    Have a wonderful Xmas, Betty! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grey peas and bacon lol! quite glad to be veggie if that's what was on the menu :) we should do a blog hop on weird and wonderful traditional foods around the world :) Happy 2021

      Delete
  4. I so enjoyed your lovely Christmas post Betty! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, glad you stopped by - all the best for 2021

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed reading about your Christmas memories. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Jenny, Krampus was a distant childhood memory under another name, until I got that Christmas card from my friend!

      Delete
  6. Lovely to read about your family traditions and how you keep them going. This Christmas is so very different, but we can only hope and pray that we shall soon see an end to the horrors of 2020, and look forward to a better year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you a safe and healthy 2021 and hoping we may get a chance to meet up again - it would so lovely to see you, we haven't done chips on the seafront yet!

      Delete
  7. I remember the song/rhyme! I hope you have a good Christmas despite COVID.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, it's surprising isn't it how things like that rhyme stay with us! Stay safe - wishing you the best for 2021

      Delete
  8. This is a lovely post. I am more on the Krampus side and love your Krampus Cat. That is brilliant. It is nice that you have family home with you. Wishing you the best Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , wishing you all the best for 2021 :)

      Delete
  9. Your traditions are wonderful and I remember "Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold ... etc. from my own childhood. My Grandparents were both English and perhaps they bought the tradition with them to our household. This was a lovely post, Betty. I read your profile and I think you must be a hoot to be with ... to bad you live so far away. But I am so glad you decided to join in at Rain's paint party. I look forward to seeing you again ... on the other side, as you put it:) Have a Blessed Christmas with your family, Betty ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you too Andrea - thanks for stopping by. Yes I bet some of your grandparents' traditions must have filtered into your life :) I wish we were near enough to be neighours and friends - but through Blogland we can almost do it so please keep visiting here :)

      Delete
  10. Dear Betty what a marvellous night photo of your cozy place :) lights around your yard look absolutely gorgeous!!!
    Sorry about new pet being unpredictable .I can understand the discomfort it arises in environment. But what makes me positive us her holding your finger which means she is trying.
    Loved reading about Christmas home traditions :) sounds amazing and lovely :)
    I too think that each of us travels inwardly and finds own ways to truth and peace so it is good to leave it to them.most beautiful thing about blogging is connection we make to each other and sharing that bring us closer.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Baili, I think that is a great comment you made - travelling inwardly is something that's good for us to spend a bit of time on :)

      Delete
  11. I never realised Krampus was so bad! I just chose him because I love her illustrations!!Better do my homework next time. Hope you had an equally good Christmas Day as your memories evoke. I was always more excited about what was in my stocking at the end of my bed than the rest of it!!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Krampus and your card - it was a great inspiration thanks :)

      Delete
  12. Your fireplace with holly is gorgeous. You draw SO well. I also LOVE your Krampus. I learned about it when I was searching for Christmas around the world. I love your traditions, too. And of course, you are SO lucky to have your children home where you know they are safe.

    I am sorry I'm late visiting. To be honest, on Thursday evening, "it" finally got to me. I simply shut down. I was not ready to celebrate or even visit my dear blogging friends. It was just too painful and I felt SO isolated and totally alone. I hope you understand why I haven't been by sooner to visit. Belated Merry Christmas, dear Betty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that Thursday evening feeling - not surprising that many of us are having the odd meltdown :) I loved your Stay Magical post and am stealing it for my New Year Resolution :)

      Delete
  13. Hello Betty, your Night Before Christmas drawing is perfect and warms up m’bones. Krampus cat looks very naughty indeed! Mollie’s behaviour sounds like our old cat, Deidre Rachid. She was a rescue cat (spent her first year living off Driftfield kebabs) and was so flighty. When we moved, we didn’t want to move her far, so she went to live with our old neighbours and good friends. Now she is a fat lap cat and leads a very happy life! Hope you had a lovely Christmas. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing these memories and traditions. I like the sound of marzipan filled dates! We always had a satsuma and a few nuts in the bottom of our stocking and often a sugar mouse with string tail. I like traditions but only ones that don't restrict where we can be, with who, and when. I like to do different things each Christmas as well as keeping up old traditions.
    How cute that Mollie holds your hand as you lay on the floor, she's making progress, albeit slowly. One day she'll surprise you by plonking herself on your lap and snoozing - a what a lovely moment that will be!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.