Monday, 28 December 2020

The New Normal: Over Thinking Things

 Here we are on the other side  of Christmas, I have too much to say today and nobody to say it to so hello Blogland....


we hada nice pressies and a lot of very nice foods, things we wouldn't have every day - like really ripe camembert cheese, olives, Sicilian tart, not to mention all the sausage rolls,  Below is the ham and peas pudding Christmas eve dinner...



Christmas Day was a traditional roast turkey crown dinner (the veggie option for me was chestnuts, I love them plain with roast potatoes and a herby stuffing... then the men had turkey and stuffing sandwiches the following day (and Mollie cat had some turkey too).





Hubby is teaching me chess - somehow I set the board up without help although I have no idea how as have no idea where the pieces should go but apparently they were all in the right order - I think sometimes I have lived before and this is evidence -- currently a game just means hubby wins and shows me how he did it so I learn from it... it will be some time before this gets anywhere.  In fact I will give it until next Christmas to actually play a game for fun.

.  Today could be a good one for a walk on the outskirts of the woods - they are very muddy - so much that Mollie cat came back from her early morning squirrel hunt with her ears covered in wet mud - she has been stalking a squirrel who has a large chunk missing from his body (I assume she got the missing part).  We have had to stop feeding birds/squirrels as it will just end in tears.

Last night I made the men chicken curry but put too much chilli in so had to add yoghurt to cool it.  Luckily there were also samosas so they filled up on that.



It was difficult to find good tv over Christmas, but enjoyed the remake of All Creatures Great and Small (vets in Yorkshire).  Currently watching the remake of Black Narcissus, the scenery and costume is spectacular (and I don't mean the nuns attire) ... and the credit roll at the end says the location is Nepal.   We also watched Monsoon on BBC IPlayer ... which was a strange docu-film of a Vietnamese man returning to his roots, we got very excited as we recognised streets in Saigon and Hanoi that we have visited.

Boris Johnson, the Sun Newspaper


 I liked the publicity shots of our Prime Minister, Boris, in his 'Brexit bunker' (that apparently were not publicity shots) ...  with his feet on the table (leather soled shoes), eating a takeaway (we worked out it was a Five Guys from the packaging and wondered whether he actually calls up and has it delivered to Number 10 itself or a safe place nearby)... I suppose famous people do ordinary things.


I will continue to work from home in the virtual call centre of my conservatory, it's cold out there and my equipment is large/clunky so I requested a laptop to enable me to move myself around to warmer parts of the house but it could take time - we have this 'key worker' status but to be honest so does half the country - it doesn't run by itself.  Hubby's temporary job as a Christmas delivery driver for our supermarket has ended.  He enjoyed it.  No more 5am alarm calls for a while now :)  Nobody has relayed this update to Mollie cat yet...


Next big event here, apart from distribution of The Vaccine,  will be the New Year's Eve doorstep toast organised by an anonymous neighbour posting flyers - you can be sure everyone will turn up when alcohol and no travel is involved.  A chance to chat across the front garden with friendly faces and to make some resolutions for 2021. 

Silk painted by me a very long time ago....









7 comments:

  1. What a lovely present, so thoughtful.
    Waiting anxiously for a vaccine now, hopefully not too lung.
    Happy New Year Betty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made the most of your Tier 4 living. My daughter and husband have been playing chess-I dabble a bit. I got him a cribbage board so we can take that up again this winter nd get the television off. Now we all wait for the vaccines to be more widely available. I hope you have a happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful Xmas present from your son's girlfriend, she's a keeper! Love that photo of Mollie cat with her wide eyed stare. I'm not sure what it is about cats and early starts, Stephen is absolutely terrible for it yet promptly goes back to bed as soon as he knows I'm up!
    The samosas look delicious and I'm a fan of chestnuts, too.
    What a fantastic silk painting and a wonderful idea with the social distanced NYE celebrations.
    I really enjoyed Monsoon, I can't bring myself to watch Black Narcissus in case it spoils the film for me like the BBC's A Suitable Boy ruined the book. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe the big day was only 4 days ago! People here are starting to dismantle their outdoor decorations and I think our street will look a little bleak for the lack thereof! I love your new book, a very thoughtful girlie your perhaps-prospective daughter-in-law seems to be!!That fact will end up in your favour, trust me! Glad you had a lovely Xmas Day with your fellas. Keep cosy in the conservatory. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to say, if you got the silk painting made into Xmas cards for next year, I'd definitely buy a pack! I know they're flowers but they could also be fireworks or Xmas Stars, so get busy!!xxx

      Delete
  5. A lovely post Betty - your Christmas day celebrations looked wonderful - your food looked delicous. I adore that book of Where's Molly - I well remember the Where's Wally being my youngest sons favourite books ever. She is looking really good Betty - yes I have 5 am wake up calls from the furry ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a super book!
    I used to be woken up early by my cats but now they're older (14 years) they like to sleep in a bit later.
    Your New Year celebration sounds nice, I think neighbors have all got to know each other a little better in 2020, not that we have any close enough to us, but my Mum's neighbors have been lovely.
    Happy New Year Betty!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.