Thursday, 3 December 2020

The New Normal: Tier 2 with Hope


 UK lockdown ended this week and we are in Tier 2 of the new regulations.  Matt Hancock, our Health Minister was on tv telling us they now have a vaccine approved and ready to distribute next week - he says we are the first country in the World to have an approved vaccine at this stage of readiness - I am puzzled as to why Germany made the vaccine but we are first to use it.  The vaccine has to be stored at very low temperature.  Preparations are beginning to administer it to those most in need. I am hopeful - could this be a new beginning for us all?  

We dont get much on the news in the UK about the progress on vaccine in other countries ... what's happening in your country? are you at testing stage, buying from other countries or still working on your own?  If you are outside the UK and have time to leave a comment I am interested to know :)



I have noticed (whilst out in the garden with my tea in the early mornings) that birds are beginning their migratory path, congregating in trees in the woods early in the morning, leaving in formation - they can see Winter coming but we are still only getting mild weather and rain.  If you look closer though, everything at ground level is becoming dormant, conserving energy, leaves falling to become nourishment for the new life in Spring.  We have had non stop rain today, it feels grey. 




I have requested a 2021 Nature Almanac from the library, I remember my parents reading one - it's like a book of predictions, moon phases and weather forecasts, will show you when it comes.  When I had my allotment a few years back, the old people who ran the community shop would refer to their Almanac and tell us when 'potato day' was - they planted their seed potatoes by moonlight on the most auspicious date from their almanac and did most of their planting and harvesting according to their book.  







these are some of the wreaths I have made over the years, depending on 
what I could find in the woods or cupboards :) 







This year the woods have more berries on the holly and ivy than ever so I will cut some tomorrow and store outside ready to make this year's wreath.   I made a twine base in the Summer which is dry and ready.  Hoping to make the house feel a little festive - I am so lucky that hubby and my sons are going to be home here, all in the same house together... I wish we could have friends and our sons friends, girlfriends and neighbours too but in these strange times we will have to keep to ourselves.  We are getting our fairy lights down from the loft - it always takes ages to unravel them :)  We have a small pot grown Christmas tree in the garden which I might bring in....



Here I am ready for a bit of woodland walking, wrapped up in warm layers, I like to wear leggings under skirts and scarves to keep the cold out when I go foraging.  A small cloth bag for my finds... back soon.







22 comments:

  1. Hope you had a good forage xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always something out there waiting to be found :)

      Delete
  2. Betty , your wreaths are just beautiful, and so natural. I used to forage for holly and bits from the hedgerows, but now I'm buying a handmade wreath this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some really lovely handmades out there this year, just seen M&S.

      Delete
  3. Your wreaths are just so pretty! I love that they are foraged. The vaccine was researched and tested and will be distributed world wide, and out US 45 wants to take the credit for it. At this point, I don't care-just want life to resume as close to normal as we can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. would be good if all the countries shared their knowledge hope you get yours soon too.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful wreaths Betty. We have a handsome holly in the garden, but alas it is a male one, so we don’t get the berries. I think I need to invest in leggings, I just can’t do tights, always hitching them up in a most un-ladylike manner. Good luck de-tangling the fairy lights! Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ihave a holly I thought was mile for about 7 years - this week we found an overwhelming lovely, sweet smell and noticed it has hundreds of tiny white flowers - does this mean it's a girl and I might get berries? can't wait to see. even without berries they are lovely and keep burglars away.

      Delete
  5. Here in USA 3 companies have created vaccines. One kind requires 2 shots. Another must be refrigerated at such a low temp that it can only be distributed thru medical centers with a particular refrigeration system. Not much known on the 3rd. Now all 3 companies are seeking approval to mass produce and in a few weeks begin distribution. Will take a long time to make enough. 1st people who would receive it are workers like doctors, nurses, medical personnel, etc. Not an overnighht thhing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Rose, I hope you get yours available soon. We are all probably expecting everything to be a lot quicker than is humanly possible :)

      Delete
  6. Your wreaths are beautiful Betty - we don't have woods to forage in over here - or even walk in, so I am always envious of my UK bloggers. No - no vaccine here at present ... we will be purchasing one once we are allowed I imagine. Things are okay here but they are concerned about a resurgence in it once everyone gets into Christmas festivities & mixes & mingles. I always garden by the moon - I have a moon calendar I would be happy to send you if you wanted Betty - it is great for planting things by that grow below ground OR above ground. Have a great weekend Betty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, I am going to follow the Almanack for the moon phases, but your calendar sounds interesting - I like the idea of gardening by moonlight - things feel magical at night too. I have seen in the news your country is doing exceptionally well to keep Covid at bay I hope there isn't a resurgence x

      Delete
  7. Lovely layered outfit, Betty! Liking the scarf.
    Your wreaths are lovely, despite not doing Xmas I usually make one too, either with garden greenery or pom poms, whatever mood I'm in.
    I think the reason why we are first to get the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine is that our drug regulations committee passed it more quickly. I don't expect to be offered it until late Spring but my arm is already outstretched - I want to travel, go to festivals and have a social life again!
    Stay safe! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would like to see your wreath if you get time to make one this year Vix, it's bound to be 'vixified'! Yes, we are so lucky that we got this passed efficiently, I think Boris has certainly got this one right :)

      Delete
  8. Your wreaths are wonderful, and your woodland must be equally so to yield up such treasures as you use to make them! As to the vaccine, Rosie has all the details, but I am Leary of them. They truly seem to have been rushed, and there’s been so little testing. I do hope it all turns out well...optimist, that’s what my husband calls me. Hopeful realist is what I think I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it feels like it's all very quickly going through but our health advisors are reassuring us this is not a live vaccine and is using contents we are familiar with so fingers crossed :)

      Delete
  9. They're trying to get the vaccine rolled out up here by next week to care homes and health workers. I'm dubious about its expeditious appearance so suddenly. Have a good weekend pal.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went to post something just as my Kindle battery died!!Wonder if it published?If not, I'll come back!x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your wreaths are wonderful! I wanted to make one too but my husband just came home with a Coop one- ahrgh!!!
    I have been wondering the same about other countries too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Betty! :) Oh it's too cold for me to forage these days!! That's a lovely scarf you're wearing! I love your wreaths! I keep away from humanity as much as I can so all I read are the headlines. I don't think Canada in general is doing so well with the second wave. I know that we are under an "essential travel only" order. We don't leave the house much anyway, so that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your wreaths are exquisite. We do not have such foliage around in our dry California.

    Farmers (like my Dad) referred to the Almanac all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh i absolutely LOVED your wreath dear Betty :)
    and your dress and scarf for walk seems to go perfect for weather as gray in your shirt and scarf must cause harmony with gray weather :)

    i am so happy for you that you will be celebrating your Christmas with your complete family ! i know it meant a lot for a mom :)
    thank you for splendid images of your beautiful surrounding my friend ,i loved your analogy about autumn leaves :) it is poetic indeed :)
    congratulations for having vaccine available in your country ,sooner or latter it must be available throughout the world i believe as politics plays important roll in such events for reasons less known to public (my opinion)
    we are hearing rumors that it might be available in April ,lets see
    more blessings to you and family!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.