Saturday, 21 November 2020

The New Normal: Lockdown 2 a bit of silk painting

I have been on annual leave this week and painted my bedroom a nice dark slate grey.  I had plenty of time left after that to get the silk painting out and do some poppies.  In case you might be vaguely interested in how you do this (please skim over if you aren't!)  


I did my sketch layout first in pencil on paper, then traced it on to the silk with the marker pen (the ink disappears after 24 hours) then did the gutta outline and 




finally had the fun part of putting the inks in.  I used a little lumiere which is a versatile silvery liquid that can be mixed with paint, ink, or anything really to give a lovely sparkle.






I did two the same as I was experimenting with the lumiere.  You should now iron them  -  the heat seals the colours - then you wash to remove the gutta and then frame them, make them into a cushion cover or something clever - or just stand back and admire them ... however, my iron has just broken so that part will have to wait for another day and another iron!

In between watching paint dry I watched the last couple of episodes of series 3 of The Crown (now ready to make a start on series 4 tonight. From what I have seen on the trailers, Princess Diana is being portrayed excellently).  

Have a great weekend....

18 comments:

  1. What a lovely painting on silk. The lumiere sparkle is a perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie, lumiere is amazing stuff, you can mix it with paint, paint on paint, use it on all kinds of things.

      Delete
  2. I love your new painting, it's so vibrant and cheery-looking. I have my silks that you gave me in frames and really treasure them. Hope your hollibobs are going well. Have a relaxing weekend, Betty.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, you are often what spurs me to get my paints out as you are always so encouraging :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing the process of your beautiful silk painting Betty. I’ve always wondered how it’s done. Is that a custom made stretching frame or can you buy them? I am looking forward to watching The Crown, once we’ve finished The Bridge (series 4) on iPlayer. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lulu, the frames are just sticks which slot into each other to make various size frames and aren't very expensive I think mine are from Amazon or Rainbow Silks, but you can use an old picture frame - you do need the right pins though (round three prong and sold by silk painting suppliers in a box of about 100) I haven't heard of The Bridge, so will have to check that out, thanks.

      Delete
  4. Your silk paintings are amazing! I am in awe! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jess, I will do another post soon to show you just how easy it is - you don't have to be good at drawing even as I will show you, I hope lots of people give it a try as it is so much fun - children in schools get the most amazing results as they aren't inhibited in their attempts (not expecting perfection like grownups!)

      Delete
  5. Your silk paintings are beautiful and I loved reading how you created them.
    Our spare room walls are almost black although I think the paint colour was called Stormy Skies, it's a wonderfully dramatic shade.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely, I would quite like to paint a room with black walls and then do a silver pattern across it :) one day maybe.....

      Delete
  6. Oh my! Your painting is so lovely! I love those poppies.
    I like how Annie says, "enjoying your hollibobs". That's so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, hollibobs makes it sound more fun that it actually is but I'm grateful for the time off just to catch up on things and relax a bit.

      Delete
  7. Ah, that's utterly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got the decorating done quick! It takes me an age to start and finish a decorating project.
    Your silk painting is lovely! I did batik at college which I loved, I bought some jantings and used to do it at home (I have no idea what happened to all that kit!). Will you share the finished pieces, when the iron is repaired/replaced please?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done in a day! I will share the ironed piece although I doubt I will make it into anything useful for donkeys years - I always end up running out of enthusiasm!

      Delete
  9. I always love the silks you paint. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous painting - lovely to see it come together. I am new to the Crown but finding it quite addictive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.