Wednesday, 11 November 2020

The new normal: 2nd lockdown woods

 It might be lockdown 2 but I am quite happy with the limited contact with the outside world.  Shops are open, so is the garden centre, we can go out for walks, so the only thing I am missing is the gym and swimming.   I have always been a bit of  a loner so apart from the three men here don't see many other people .... keeping in touch by phone and email with friends and my brothers is something I already happily do.  I like my own company. 


There's a walk near here where I noticed this door appear, it definitely wasn't there before!


Started a bit of doodling.....can't stay still for long though, so will have to finish another day.







On our way back from the woods we saw the help yourself box of a house on the lane was full again (they have put old toys, books and sweets out over the last months)... the treasure this time was huge pine cones,  I took one - the smell was wonderful,  it was sticky in my hand with pine oil - what a lovely surprise.  It was tempting to take the whole lot - of course! but I didn't :)   I have no idea how to extract the waxy oil and don't have a log burner, so I put it in my treasure cupboard until inspiration strikes.

Mollie the cat made a big step forward last night, she cautiously jumped up next to me and then crept on to my lap to be stroked, just for 30 seconds, but it's progress.


I put some birdsong on my blog, hope you like it - if you want to turn it off, just go to the top of the screen right hand corner to mute it.




23 comments:

  1. Pine cones are lovely to display at Christmas, letting their scent mingle with all the others. I put mine in a basket and add ribbons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a nice idea, I think I will hang mine from a nice bit of ribbon.

      Delete
  2. Hello dear Betty! That is a lovely pine cone! We have lots. We have to bake them to kill the bugs but then there are so many pretty things to make with them! Oh, I love Mollie the Dollie kitty! She's so pretty! I love how cats are cautious but when they pick you, you're picked for good! God be with you and stay snug and remember you are deeply loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope there aren't any bugs - cant see anything creeping about in the treasure cupboard! Yes, this little cat is undecided yet on who will be her favourite but I hope it's me :)

      Delete
  3. How wonderful that Mollie is beginning to be more trusting of you. She is a very beautiful cat.
    It's lovely and relaxing to listen to the birdsong in the background and your 'doodling' is impressive. You are very talented. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jules, I do like doodling and with 2 weeks annual leave I might have time for a bit more :) We are so lucky to have such a pretty cat, especially as we didn't get a choice, we were offered her only and were more than happy to accept!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the bird song! I had to click it for it to start playing but I like that....I'm not fond of sites that play automatically.

    I'm a loner too. We haven't been in lockdown here but we are asked to socially distance & wear masks so that makes it easier to just stay home.

    You may be able to plant your pine cone. I have a pine tree & I saw this recently. I may try it. https://www.bonsaisanctum.com/how-to-grow-a-bonsai-tree-from-a-seed/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always like seeing things like fairy doors, I guess it takes me back to my childhood!
    Those berries are lovely aren't they.

    I enjoy the birdsong in the background, it's quite relaxing.

    Have a lovely rest of the week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like birdsong, since lockdown no aircraft overhead here and the birds are really entertaining us.

      Delete
  6. It seems like lockdowns are never going to end. I have been since end of February. I so miss everyone. I miss activities. But it is what needs to happen for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is hard rose, I never had much interaction outside of work in a busy call centre was enough people contact for me! Our local pubs are doing an online quiz this weekend, I think that will be a great way to connect with people in the community, also emailing works for me. I hope you can at least get out for some walks.

      Delete
  7. Progress with Molly! I'm delighted that she's forgiven you for the vet visit and has had a bit of lap fuss. Neither of ours are lap cats although they like a cuddle in bed.
    I'm very much like you, I've always enjoyed my own company and am quite happy that it's just Jon & I and the lads although I'm hoping to go for a walk with a friend next week.
    The pine cone is lovely and you know how much I enjoy seeing your art! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. walks with friends are something I haven't done yet - I have one scheduled for next week and am so looking forward to it.

      Delete
  8. The fairy door is so cute! I really like it. I'm so pleased Molly is showing less fear towards you.
    Your watercolour is really good- I love seeing illustrations of seeds and leaves. I'm not sure why I can't hear the birdsong! I adore birdsong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kezzie, I do like drawing leaves the best. I think you have to turn the birdsong on, the top of your blog should show a green bar and the right hand corner has the control for sound :)

      Delete
  9. Love the Dawn Chorus. The pine cones remind me of setting the fire at my oldwork. I used to collect them from underneath the pine tree and then put them in the grate with firelighters on top. They make great kindling! Just call me Conerella!! Love your autumn painting. Keep going. Have a great weekend, Betty.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, I can imagine a pine fire would be wonderful. We see lots of small ones dropping from the pine trees behind us and I should collect them as the garden centre sells them from fancy suppliers at more than two quid a bag ffs!

      Delete
  10. That’s very beautiful doodling Betty! Great find on the huge pine cone. My girls get so excited when the see a fairy door. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lulu, thank you. Oh your girls would love Ashdown Forest (pooh bear woods) there's a very special door in a tree there that a lot of children visit.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the Ashdown Forest tip Betty! We'll try to visit next time we cross country to East Sussex way (do you know I used to drive past the turn off on the way to work every day but never visited!!!) x

      Delete
  11. Oooh a tree fairy door! How magical! :))) I love the pine cone! Your Mollie is adorable. Keep doodling Betty! It looks great and it's so good for the soul! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a beautiful sharing dear Betty :)))
    fairy door ? oh i loved this idea absolutely :)

    congratulations for the love and affection your new pet has stated to show ,must be reliving and comforting !
    i loved your mushrooms art ,just Gorgeous !
    finding pine cone must be exciting ,hope you extract oil and share with us too as this thing sounds unfamiliar to me
    thank you for sharing the lovely walk
    yes i too enjoy my own company more :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know what you mean about being happy with limited contact with the outside world. I’m always happy in my own company, I don’t understand people who need company all the time, people can be exhausting. Andy and I often joke that if he’d had to stay at home during lockdown our marriage probably wouldn’t have survived :)
    I was so happy to read that Mollie sat on your lap, albeit for a short time. She’s obviously getting to trust you - that’s a wonderful feeling!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.