It's been a quiet week, working in the conservatory, it gets dark early now so I have a candle lamp on and the oil fired radiator to keep my legs warm. At night I can hear the owl hooting in the woods behind us and I think how lucky I am that, due to these strange Covid times, I can enjoy working from home and that life has slowed down for us in this way.
These horses were waiting with a long line of old, original, gypsy caravans in the town car park (owners in the pub) last week, I got a chance to stroke the black horse. Caravans like these aren't seen often these days and especially not in such great condition and in use, so a lot of people in the town stopped to admire. There is quite a large gypsy community about a mile or two from here and they have visits like this for funerals and family events.
Mollie is settling in, still nervous but learning to trust us. Unfortunately on Wednesday night our neighbour let fireworks off, which petrified her, she hid for four hours behind the sofa. Same again on Friday. In fact Friday was not a good day for her as she had a visit to the vet for her second vaccines which is a good 1 hour drive (Cats Protection nominee). She went in while I waited outside and the vet came out to say he could not check her teeth as she was so terrified of him but her ears are fine and the likely reason for her not liking her head touched is manhandling by a previous owner. He advised us not to let her out until we have her complete trust as she might not come back.
We have had some walks in the woods this week, late mornings then back for lunch before I start my late shifts. All the trees out there are so beautiful in golds and reds. There have been some pretty early morning frosts too.
This little cottage is part of a small farm in the woods, I can't resist peeking when we pass.
I moved all my lemon trees into the conservatory. We also have chillis ready to dry off. I grew a pot of grass for the cat to nibble and found the garden centre is open during lockdown so was able to get a broken bag of pebbles for my pots (£3).
Also found some half price boxes of woodland flower bulbs (snowdrop, narcisus, frittilery and anemone) and planted them up straight away while hubby wood stained our new garden gate (after 27 years it was beyond repair and had a big cat sized hole in the middle :)
I made a lemon sponge and a loaf of bread and headed off to bed with my new library book ..
We saw the Yorkshire Shepherdess on tv and I was so entranced I had to get the book out - our library quarantines books for 7 days on return, it is open for online orders to be collected at the door only and within a few days it was mine :)
The lemon cake was a bit too moist - too much lemon juice, but it got eaten before I had a chance to ice it so couldn't be that bad.
My bread machine does all the work for my loaves, I am off to make it into toast with marmite and butter and a poached egg for breakfast and then off to work, four steps and I'm there!















Molly is just gorgeous. Isn't t horrible to see them so scared of fireworks? The vet's advice is really sensible, keep her in until she's settled, it would be awful to lose her.
ReplyDeleteThe gypsy caravan is fabulous, isn't it? I loved seeing them on Peaky Blinders.
I love that fairytale cottage in the woods and your lovely houseplants and your loaf and cake look really impressive.
I've not seen The Yorkshire Shepherdess but she's been on the Jeremy Vine Show, she's such a lovely, sensible lady and looks incredible considering she's got so many children! xxx
Wish they would do more Peaky Blinders, I loved the last series. Yes, Miss Mollie is going to need lots of time, she wont come near me since I took her to the vet on Friday and gives me sideways glances.
DeleteBit selfish of your neighbour to do fireworks twice in one week, especially in such close proximity to the rest of the houses. Somebody's house in the west of Scotland went on fire when a rocket landed on the roof!! Poor little cat, hope she's calm now. I really admire Amanda, the Yorkshire Shepherdess, who looks amazing considering she's had 9 children. Just imagine how many grandchidren she will end up with! Think she's got her work cut out with her husband too! You can rent shepherds' huts for holidays, similar to those caravans but they're really expensive, even for a weekend. Have a good weekend Betty.xxx
ReplyDeleteThe little cottage in the woods looks so intriguing. I'd want to wander down the path!
ReplyDeleteOh Betty I was sorry to read about Mollies fright with the fireworks ... our neighbour let off a whole lot early last night - it wasn't even dark & I hadn't got my cats in - it was about 6.45 so I could not see the point as it was still daylight. Both mine got so frightened & ran under the house & I could not get them out for 3 hours. I would very much love our government to ban them here & just make them available for group displays. Your bread & your lemon cake look so delicious.
ReplyDeleteyes, this idiot let his off at 7pm as daughter goes to bed early - I can see he wanted to be a great dad and was competing with ex wifey doing something bigger and better but I too wish they would only allow them for public displays. The lemon cake tasted a lot better than it looked :)
DeleteI have been in lockdown due to COVID since the end of February! It is so difficult to not see people! It will just be 2 of us for the upcoming holidays. Cannot take any risks.
ReplyDeleteOh Rose I am so sorry you have been in isolationg for so long, I hope you and your partner are in a social bubble s can see each other.
DeleteHello Betty, Mollie is just gorgeous and your lemon trees look very happy in the conservatory. Enjoy your Amanda Owen book. She’s an amazing woman isn’t she! I was lucky enough to see her doing her new book tour, just before lockdown (part 1), at Falmouth Pavillion. I just loved her latest book, full of funny stories and rump Yorkshire characters. That reminds me, she has written a few books and I need more! I wish I had some lemon drizzle cake right now to go with my morning coffee. Lulu x
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by Lulu, I just joined your blog, I loved reading about your town, it's a beautiful place.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are making the most of lockdown #2. Mollie is lovely! She's a blessed kitty to live with you!
ReplyDeleteA very nice collection of photographs.
ReplyDeleteLemon cake is one of my favourites :)
All the best Jan
Betty your lemon cake looks great, I love a moist cake! Mollie is too cute. Our Oscar is frightened of fireworks too. Actually our three cats are all indoor cats. We are always afraid of losing them to predators, or worse, speeding cars...so they will stay indoor cats. She's so cute!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful.
ReplyDeleteI was transported reading this post and you've inspired me to plant a herb garden. I also didn't realise gypsy caravans were still used by anyone, must have been nice seeing them in use.
ReplyDeletethank you for beautiful images dear Betty !
ReplyDeletewe do have gypsy community here either though they visit once in a while to collect some food or money ,probably their ancestors might have run caravans to amuse people but they don't anymore
i loved your new pet ,sorry for she got afraid and hide behind sofa for as long ,must be worrying for you ,hope her issues will resolved soon once doctor's advice is followed
your cake looks delicious to me
old iron doors get rusty ,Hubby tries to keep paint where rust appears so it can last long
i loved your work place my friend,i agree that despite of all odds this pandemic has revolutionized our perspective towards life somehow
more blessings to your beautiful world!
Poor Molly. I hope she's fully recovered from her fright. X
ReplyDeleteThat bread looks delicious! I also like Lemon cake! Why is it that Cats hate vets so much!? How do they know? You saw some good mushrooms!
ReplyDeleteI hope Mollie has forgiven you for the visit to the vet. She is gorgeous isn't she? I've just commented on Vix blog that fireworks need to be left in the past, they do so much harm to animals and humans in different ways.
ReplyDeleteYour cake looks divine.
It's lovely to be at work in a few steps, it's been 7 years for me and I do not miss the commute at all.
Those horses and caravans are beautiful, what a thing to encounter in your high street.
I'd love to explore that little cottage.
xx