Friday, 30 October 2020

The New Normal: Happy Halloween

Getting ready for Halloween, which is full of superstition and black cats often feature - our little cat is not at all spooky.  She doesnt know yet that those mice under my bedspread are my toes!


Here are this years pumpkins, hubby carved the scary one, mine is the cat.




The best place in our area for seeing pumpkins is usually Slindon.  The village is famous for the displays done for charity at Halloween.  Sadly this year there is no display.  But *here's* a link to their site .  The little mouse house light was in their pottery shop years ago and is something I always wish I had purchased - one day I will go back and see if theres another one waiting for me.  


The shops in Brighton have always put on fabulous displays in The Lanes,  these are pictures from previous years.






and a lot of the houses pre CV19 held parties so we would get the train down and stay late, walking round the streets to see the decorations.








This is my magic wand, it was  hand crafted by the father of a friend specially for me and is very precious.  A wand like this is a one off, the handle hand turned, the wand soldered with glitter, it does good spells, i always hold it before making important decisions.


My magic pumpkin - one day it will turn into a coach and take me to the ball.


Heres somewhere interesting to visit when visits are allowed again...  This is the entrance to Cuckfield Museum which has a display of items related to superstition and witchcraft called 'the cache'  *here* beautifully displayed  to show the items as they would have been found - under floorboards.  All the items are from the houses in Cuckfield village dating back to the 18th century, placed under floorboards to trick evil spirits away from the children living there. There are bottles to contain the evil jinn, shoes and a three corner hat to distract him.  I visit sometimes as it draws me.  You can't take pictures in there but the above link takes you to their website which has a little video of the contents.  Sadly it's closed until next year when I hope to visit again.


Over the years I have posted some of the things we did at Halloween for our children ...

These plates have been with us for over fifteen years and come out every Halloween eve. I just love their funny faces, they are from Crackerbarrel, Florida, where we had a very happy halloween family holiday when the boys were boys.



Hubby mostly is the chief pumpkin carver, i did the little cat. These are from a previous year.








My favourie plate, the black cat one.



As a child my parents gave us toffee apples on sticks which my mother made, if you were unlucky you got a rotten apple (trick) or a nice crisp, one (treat).


My mother was big on Halloween/Samhain being a pagan, she called it punky night and our dad always started us off with a bowl of apples in water for apple dunking.  For those who havent heard of it, you get the apples out of the bowl by kneeling with hands behind back using only your teeth to pull an apple out.

Hope you enjoy Halloween night, I will be visiting the lightening struck oak tree in the woods and listening for the owl. 





14 comments:

  1. Hello Betty, cat carved pumpkins are my favourite! We drove out to a nearby farm that usually have every type of pumpkin and gourd going, but sadly it was all closed up. We couldn’t even find a turnip, so had to use potatoes! So lovely to see pictures of the lanes in Brighton (I spent five happy years in Brighton). Will Lewes be holding its mental firework displays this year? Have fun by the old lightning struck tree. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sadly Lewes will be withoutthe fireworks as Boris seems about to announce another lockdown, I have a friend who wears the stripy jumper and lights the bonfire, they work so hard to make it spectacular.

      Delete
  2. Lovely Halloween post. I love your kitty-cat pumpkins. Molly looks quite at home now. Have a good weekend, Betty.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your magical post with us today!
    The pumpkins that you and your husband carved are wonderful!

    Happy Halloween 🌙☕🍁🎃🐈🍂👻

    ReplyDelete
  4. They never figure out that the toes are not, in fact, mice! It makes me chuckle every time they are tricked.
    Cuckfield Museum sounds like an intriguing place. I love your wand! What a beautiful thing to have.
    We don't do anything special for Halloween, no trick or treaters come to us as we're too far from civilisation. I've carved a few pumpkins in the past but I have to admit I dislike the smell of the flesh, so I don't bother anymore. I like the sounds of wandering the Lanes in Brighton though.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Halloween post.
    Enjoy the weekend, I only wish the weather was a little better!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Samhain blessings Betty! :) Happy Halloween!!! Your little kitty is so cute...I'm so happy you got her! The decorations are so neat. I used to go all out but this year I really toned it down. I have some fake police "don't cross this line" tape I'm planning to pull out later today! :) I LOVE your wand...I don't have one, but I want to make myself one next summer. I'm trying to find the right piece of wood from our acreage, I know something will call out to me! :) The Cache sounds delightful Betty, I would love to go there. Magic is all around us, and sometimes we aren't even aware of it. I have little magic bags all over the house. The pumpkin carvings are wonderful!!! How fun...I love this day!! I'll be walking the woods with a candle tonight. I need to talk to my late pug dogs and call up my spirit animal for some guidance. Tarot reading will happen too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molly looks so settled!
    Your pumpkins are fab and I loved your Halloween photos, that Chinese lantern wreath is gorgeous, I want one next year.
    We used to bob for apples when we were little. Mum did try carving a swede into a lantern once but it wasn't a huge success!
    Have a spooky night! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post with some amazing images

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your kitty pumpkin! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet your lovely new kitty enjoyed Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a lovely catch up here betty, lovely photos from past halloween displays...not quite the same this year...but we had a few pumpkins decorating the home and window...lovely black cat! so cosy, keep safe and snug x

    ReplyDelete
  12. We also has a curtailed and quiet Halloween this year without our family. Carved cat pumpkin looks so sweet! Regards, Naomi Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness your hubby is amazing carver of pumpkins dear Betty :)
    i liked your cat pumpkin too :) how great to celebrate as enthusiastically :))) loved peaking into your fun world through wonderful photos you shared here :)
    your first words about your new cat made me laugh ,reminded me words of mom that she said about her new cat when cat would sleep near her feet lol
    i so enjoyed your memories about childhood Halloween with parents ,i know nothing is more precious than memories in our hear that never fad away and keep us connected with loved ones that are gone
    wand from your friend's father is so pretty and special indeed :)
    blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.