From my conservatory window I can see a nice big chunk of border crammed with snapdragons - I love their velvety texture, bright colours and the fact that you can squeeze them open and make them 'talk'. They only 'open' for the big fat bumblebee to gather nectar. I decided to paint the view before it was completely battered by the torrential rain we had daily last week.
I love painting, it is complete escapism, if you don't paint, or think you can't, give it a try - or be an abstract painter and capture the colour of the things that please you … you can get totally lost in the world of colour - mixing the colours on a palette is like science with a little bit of magic thrown in.
My eBay win Indian cotton wrap skirt arrived and was swiftly washed about five times and aired (just have to do that). In the description vintage was mentioned but no labels so not sure (Vix?). It is a nice heavy cotton, with a neatly hand turned hem. The print is slightly irregular in places but I dont know if it is machine or hand printed. Its refreshing to have something in bold colours.
Before our lovely Spanish neighbours moved house they gave me a pile of walkers maps, what forgotten treasure they turned out to be - we dug them out of the old filing cabinet in the garage today and have been busy planning some new walks.
Our first walk was yesterday, to Bewl Waters about an hour drive from here and first time out for fun since lockdown - a very nice woodland walk (up to 20 miles if you want but we only did 7 as arrived late) with big fishing lakes (pike), little boats that can ferry you back if you get tired, it was so nice to walk somewhere new near both woods and water.
I spotted an Indian silk scarf on eBay and as usual only remembered to bid in the closing seconds during our day out - (and was surprised to win for only a couple of quid). It's in thin, frayed condition but will be ok for a neck tie, I loved the pattern (black, white and red panthers and antelopes etc. - described as running horses). It will look nice with the wrap skirt - will show you them together when it arrives.
This beautiful butterfly was sunning itself in the woods at home, any idea what it is?
I watched 7 episodes on the trot of 'The Other One' (BBC and also BBC Iplayer) the other night, so funny and has some very good actors. Not my usual choice but good to have some light entertainment sometimes.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/theotherone
How was your weekend?











I'd say that skirt is definitely vintage, I've got an near-identical one! I can't wait to see you in it.
ReplyDeleteAlways love to see your painting, you're so talented. I love how snapdragons talk, too. They fascinated me as a child.
Your walk looks lovely, very rustic.
I haven't seen The other one, but did think it looked like an entertaing watch. xxx
oh good I was hoping you would say that! Will do a pose when the scarf arrives. Thanks for the compliment on painting, I get days when I really enjoy painting and then no more for ages but it's nice to know others like the results.
DeleteBetty, I think your pretty butterfly is a Comma. They used to be quite rare but seem to have made a come back lately.
ReplyDeleteThanks! we are seeing a lot less butterflies the last few years, it's good to know these beautiful Comma butterflies are going to still be around, so many insects are finding it hard to survive in our ever changing landscape.
DeleteLovely snapdragons! I haven’t really picked up a paintbrush properly since college. I paint with my nieces and nephews but it’s not quite as relaxing :) I’m not very good at making things look lifelike so I’d be more abstract, I love the colour and texture you can create with just a brush and some paint. I painted with acrylics when at college but I’d love to try oils.
ReplyDeleteWhether it turns out to be vintage or not, your new skirt is lovely.
i like the sound of a walk that has boats to take you back to your starting point if you grow weary! We found a new walk on Sunday which took us by some winter bird feed plots, it was full of wild flowers and covered in butterflies. I’ve never seen so many in one please, it was magical.
I though The Other One looked like it might be worth a watch, after your recommendation I might just give it a try.
xx
your walk sounds lovely Hazelxjoy, butterflies and flowers are becoming more scarce round here, I think the new housing estates are creeping in and a lot of things we take for granted will disappear if we don't provide a habitat for them.
DeleteHello Betty! My name is Ann and I found your blog through Vix. I find snapdragons irresistible and your painting of them is gorgeous. That skirt you found on eBay is fabulous. That beautiful butterfly is a comma. I didn't know that until a couple of days ago, when I spotted one on my Echinacea and looked it up on a butterfly identification website. I just had to photograph it too. I'd never seen one before. xxx
ReplyDeleteOhh I love your painting! I would frame and hang it. So pretty. It is great to have nature escapes. Saves my soul.
ReplyDeleteA lovely post Betty - I am just playing Catch up as have been away down to my Mum's again & missed lots of blogs. You know I used to have a wrap skirt almost identical to your one - I must hunt mine out again as I think it is still tucked away somewhere. Love that butterfly photo - it would make a gorgeous card. xx
ReplyDeleteTotes love your new skirt and your painting, as ever, is fab too. Wish I could draw and paint!Butterflies are just beginning to appear in my garden this week. Have a good week Betty.xxx
ReplyDeleteI do like your paintings, the colours are so lovely.
ReplyDeleteYour walk looks wonderful, so nice to be out.
All the best Jan
I'll look for that show! I like funny!
ReplyDeleteI love your wrap! SO PRETTY!
And those walks! You English friends are great walkers! I need some new routes.
Sending heaps of love to you!
Oh your walks are enchanting dear Betty :)
ReplyDeletesuch breathtaking views ,hope you are liking to have rain daily omg sounds heavenly for me :)
i loved your skirt thoroughly !!!!!!!!!!!
what a DELIGHTFUL CHOICE :) i would love to see wearing you this one with scarf you mentioned :)
gorgeous butterfly
best wishes!
Definitely a Comma!
ReplyDeleteYour painting is beautiful! I really like it. Do you have much artwork (either by you or by others in your house? If so, we are doing a Bloggers Art Gallery next week, so have a look at the post in my link if you wanted to join in or just have a look).
The walks sound great! We were doing so well early in lockdown at walking but we didn't do one this week except for me forcing my husband to do our regular circular walk on Saturday night- we ended up sitting in the big meadow by the leisure centre basking in the setting sun- it was really nice- but I'd like to get somewhere new again. Last weekend was idyllic walking and I really want to go and swim in the river!