Thursday, 2 July 2020

100 Days and More..

It's over 100 days since lockdown and the World keeps turning.  At Touchwood things are changing fast, two of the four of us are now unemployed, but I am putting a cheery face on, at least we are all together here and helping each other out.... getting out for walks and trips to blogland are a great escape for me.



I was up at six on Monday and found a Nuffield Health HIIT class on You Tube and got stuck in - these are 30 minute workouts (high intensity but with 30 second slow jog recovery periods between sets, so very easy to get into.  Still doing my 100 fitball sit-ups and venturing into the spider infested garage to do some weight lifting most days.

On our walks this week the fields have been full of these huge daisies.


Monday's walk with hubby was nearly 5 miles, I noticed the hedgerow is changing - blackberries are forming but still green, mallow, wild iris and foxgloves are out and the fields are full of yellow rapeseed. 



On Tuesday the seeds from eBay arrived (radish and spring onion).  Hubbys post wasn't so cheery, he got the Dear John letter confirming his redundancy.   But lets think pink and fluffy for now... this beautiful mallow is all over the hedgerows and roadsides here.


I won a 70s (allegedly) skirt on eBay which is due in the post at the weekend.  I often forget my EBay bids and lose out but remembered this one in the last 3 minutes when another bidder was creeping in.  I should set a phone alert next time.

Wednesday I planted up my spring onion and radish seeds in pots and weighted a tray with bricks on the shed roof - running out of space!  I am working lates all this week so have to rush out in the mornings whatever the weather to tend the garden - I have also done some more lawn seeding and dead heading of flowers.  The border is crammed now with snapdragons and nasturtium.






I flit from one cleaning job to another as I enjoy housework and it's good for keeping myself busy but I know its important to have quiet time too, lately I find it hard to get into books, I start them but dont finish.. (maybe I have adhd - it runs in the family!)  I just started Margaret Attwood's The Testaments - Handmaidens Tale fans probably read it last year when it first came out .. I forgot about it until it turned up this week on my library Ebook list.


Torrential rain this morning (Thursday) so just nipped into town for a few essentials and was pleased to find the rain had it's advantages - no queue at any of the shops or post office and loads of parking.  



I have discovered a jar of uninspiring black olive pesto but my goodness how delicious it was on my pasta with grated cheese and fresh basil from the garden - I think it's the fresh basil that makes it so lovely..  I've eaten it for lunch two days running.  

Ta da - sweetpeas in a wigwam pot.  First time I have had any grow from seed successfully.





The masks didn't work out well - the swimming elastic was all that Fabricland had at the time and it snaps easily - but I emailed them a new order on Tuesday explaining the problem and lots of elastic arrived next day l- brilliant service, I love popping into their shop in Brighton but their online shop has a very good range.  So with the weekend off I will be busy unpicking and sewing!

Here's hubby's collection of fridge magnets, - I like the tuktuk from India best... do you collect anything? being ocd I don't like clutter but can just about tolerate this little gathering :)



Things are not perfect for any of us in these strange times but I am grateful for the extra time to just sit in the moment and think, be and reflect.  I had my paints out in those spare moments this week which, for me, is very restful, will show you next time..... what have you been doing to keep yourself sane? 










 






14 comments:

  1. Morning, Betty!
    I'm very impressed with your fitness regime. I do find that exercising first thing in the morning helps me feel optimistic and positive for the rest of the day.
    The sweet peas look beautiful and your seed packaging is very funky. Never before have I been so aware of the changes in the season and how the plants are dying back and being replaced by different species.
    I'm so sorry to hear of husband's redundancy. Jon's best friend fears he'll be getting the same letter very soon, there's only two of them left in a shop that used to employ 20 and the lease is up next month. He's thinking he might apply to one of the supermarkets, Morrisons are advertising for order pickers at the moment and the wage isn't bad so he's considering that as an option to keep the bills paid.
    We've bought a few of those tuk tuk fridge magnets as presents over the years!
    Looking forward to seeing your eBay skirt and that pasta is making me hungry!
    Have a lovely day! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry to hear about Jon's friend. Supermarkets are a good place to look for work, both my sons had been working in them during lockdown but left as they weren't doing very well with distancing in the warehouses - but delivery driver is a good one to go for.

      Delete
  2. You've encouraged me to start a new fitness habit, as I really need to do much more. I enjoy running, but with Lily being at home all the time now I no longer get the opportunity.
    Your pasta dish looks delicious and congratulations on the sweet peas. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I don't always keep it up every day, anything is better than nothing - my friend has a special pushchair that she can jog with (3 wheeler).

      Delete
  3. I wasn't able to 'procure' any sweetpeas this year so really missing them. Sorry to hear about redundancy but hope something on the horizon soon. Think you need to get yourselves a new little companion to ease the stresses and strains. Have a great weekend Betty. Am off to write to you now! xxx ps any pics of your new skirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will post my skirt soon, it's just being washed and aired for a few days. Yes, new companion maybe in the Autumn.

      Delete
  4. I’m so sorry to hear hubby has been made redundant, I hope he can find something else soon. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
    I do enjoy finding a new taste sensation, black olive pesto sounds delicious, I must see if I can find some.
    I collect charity pin badges, and we have a few fridge magnets from our (not very prolific) travels, but that’s about it. Although my husband does appear to be collecting tractors, luckily he doesn’t seem to have any notions about bringing them all home.
    Work has been really busy for me but in my downtime I’ve just read a collection of short stories which is about all I read at the moment, I can’t get into a full length book.
    take care
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, would like to see the tractor collection please!

      Delete
  5. thanks. yes shop bought doesn't have much flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful flowers! You have a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Betty! Thanks for visiting my blog. I really enjoyed your post, but I'm sorry that your husband received a redundancy letter. That is the most awful feeling. We are all trying to find our way through this strange and difficult time. Thanks for sharing the lovely flowers and your gardening adventures. I've been doing a lot of baking and walking to keep myself sane ~ Sometimes it doesn't work! I'm trying to downsize my belongings, so I'm examining all my things. I'm working on my books, of which I have hundreds. I've culled literally about 2,000, and now I'm down to where it really hurts. I also have a collection of maps and many family papers. Please take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sounds busy and industrious, Betty! I'm sorry about the Dear John letter. I hope it's okay.
    You're getting lots of good exercise! Way to go!
    I've been riding my bike and gardening more.
    Sending love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. learning about your hubby's job made me sad dear Betty ,i am sorry and i hope he will find something better soon inshaallah!

    i really loved your positivism and i believe people who have faith can have such spirit :)
    how nice you enjoying your days by filling them with different hobbies ,i agree spare times define our soul :)
    gardening is therapeutic indeed ,staying close to nature heal us for sure
    dish looks yummy .
    flowers are stunning :)
    i like things on fridge ,in past i used it as board for my boys when they were about to go to school :)
    may lord keep shower of blessing upon you and family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about the job redundancy- my sister in law's husband is facing the same which is all the more gutting as they were supposed to be on sabbatical now (from April to December) walking the Pacific Crest Trail in America- were hoping to do it next year but that looks uncertain now.
    Mmmm, love the idea of that olive pesto. I MUST get last year's Wild Garlic pesto out the freezer and eat it- thanks for the reminder!
    The fridge magnets are cool- my mum's ex husband collected those too. It was always fun buying him one on holiday. I've collected various things over the year. One thing I DID collect (and still have!) is a collection of Wind-up toys. Mostly modern plastic ones but they make me laugh so much! My favourite is a ladybird which flips and goes in a different direction!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.