Summer Solstice came and went, on Midsummers eve very late my younger son and I took our traditional walk to a very old oak tree in the woods and did some tree hugging. Pagans had left wheat, wine and food there which reminded me of my pagan mother. The tree has a huge hollow inside where you can stand (it was almost split in two by lightening, yet still grows well).
This week I have mostly been working and as it has been so hot I put some old maps on the windows to keep the heat down a bit. I found there is room for my fitball so did sit-ups on my break...
I watched a good film Girls of the Sun based on fact it was the story of some Kurdish women who had been taken by Isis and sold as slaves, their children were taken as child soldiers. The women in the film had escaped and evolved into a small army fighting Isis, covered by a female French journalist. It was subtitled which doesn't bother me, being very deaf I usually have 'the words on' anyway.
We topped up on gas for the bbq (it was hard to find any) and the men cooked their own dinners, we have mostly been eating in the garden (and from the garden with our salad greens!). Being veggie I prefer feta cheese, avocado or quorn products (burger/sausage) on my plate but everyone else had a variety of chicken, steak, burgers and sausages throughout the week, so a no cook week for me!
We recently planted a pumpkin in Ambercat's honour in her patch of the garden, it's growing well.
Today I painted my nails then made a few bids on eBay, then ordered some new flat sheets online as it's been so hot (we are finding even lightweight duvets too much). …. how's your week been?
I love the spirtitual beings quote.
ReplyDeleteGet you with your sit-ups in the office, one of the many advantages of working from home!
It's been really hot in bed this week, even when I had to sleep alone aftre Jon decamped to the spare room. Great idea to stock up on flat sheets.
Loving the look of your salad and the pumpkin in Ambercat's honour is lovely! xxx
well I don't do sit ups all day, the picture was just for a laugh! I do spend a lot of time lounging around to be honest!
DeleteYour meal looked delicious. I love the salad season.
ReplyDeleteI think we could grow much more of our own produce in this country if big producers invested in more undercover tunnels etc, irrigation, and there would then be less pest control needed. Importing food we can grow really needs to be addressed.
DeleteYou're so disciplined with your diet and exercise Betty. I envy you. My lack of both has earned me an extra half a stone these post viral furloughed weeks! Lovely gesture with the pumpkin for Amber Cat. Xxx
ReplyDeletenever mind about a few pounds, more important to get your strength back and feel well again, gentle walks when you are well enough will work wonders.
DeleteI admire you for doing your sit ups on the fitball. I have zero sense of balance on those things, so would likely cause an injury. X
ReplyDeleteHi Betty :) Good for you for exercising like that! Since our move, I haven't found the time to do much exercise and I'm feeling my hips spread lol...I'll get back to it in the fall, it's too hot here anyway. And on that note, it's too hot to cook too! We're eating like you, mostly salads and some pre-cooked chicken sandwiches. Lots of ice cream! :)
ReplyDeleteI feel like I missed the Solstice this year. Things are so busy and I'm upset at myself for not putting my yearly ritual a priority. I did a Tarot reading a few days later, but I feel kind of disconnected at the moment. I have to find a little more balance.
Mmmm, your meal looks delicious! If you are veggie, have you tried the Vegetarian Butcher's Little Willie sausages at all!? We ADORE them!
ReplyDeleteYour bbq looked delicious!
ReplyDeleteI'm pleased that the weather here has cooled down a bit!
x
I like the spiritual beings quote :)
ReplyDeleteYou're so dedicated to exercise in your break, anything remotely fitness related just gathers dust in my house!
Your salad looks delicious, and the talk of BBQs has made me want to get ours lit again, even though it's grey, cold, and threatening rain... maybe at the weekend instead?
I've been working steadily and trying to keep everything alive in my greenhouse. I'm in a war with cabbage eating critters.
xx
i loved the quote so much dear Betty ,sounds real to me :)
ReplyDeletewow you are doing quite a workout ,this is so inspiring ,i left tough exercise behind for long ,i do walks in evening and stretching in morning included few yoga step
your plants are growing well ,i found the movie choice quite sensitive ,reality is cruel indeed
salad looks tasty ,BBQ must be great and delicious
i am trying to be less in kitchen because of too much heat ,simple meals are priorities now days
ihope all goes fine in days ahead for you my friend !