Friday, 19 June 2020

Rainy week - what I've been doing

Today I have been out to the shops and picked up a pre-ordered rainproof jacket for me and also for oldest son, and a little backpack to hold dogbowl/water for walks … from Decathlon, there was no queue and very good distancing measures in place.  Hopped along to the chemist (Savers) to stock up on my shampoo/conditioner and nailcare products, no queue there either ... stopped at a small Tesco to get mens beer and some wine for me - same stuff as the big Tesco but without the queue so fine for the odd small shop.





Nipped out and mowed the lawn front and back and moved my citrus trees to get more sun.  




Hubby made me a nice big salad for lunch - we are eating oak leaf lettuce from our own pots on the garden table most days.





Earlier in the week my Turkish kilim cushions arrived - I do have a few already but wanted some long ones for my conservatory chairs.  I got my sewing machine out and made some pads to go inside from old pillows.




Hubby has been going through some very old (30+ years) video of holidays we took in our younger days,  we had copied some of them to disc many years ago for posterity but the discs no longer work; so hubby is looking at the original camcorder discs and tapes to see if anything can be retrieved... last night we were able to watch a bit of Mumbai with me sitting next to a snake charmer -I don't think I would be so brave now as on our more recent visit to India we learned that these snakes can, and do, leap sometimes !   So this is  hubby's project at the moment and may take some time.



On Thursday morning I had another lovely dog walk at the rescue kennels with little Ruby, we got caught in a torrential downpour a 45 minute walk from shelter so had to brave it - she wasn't bothered at all - I towelled her down and then went home to change as I was wet to the skin.  I had borrowed my sons very trendy Superdry jacket but it was not in the slightest bit waterproof!  (at least I now have my waterproof jacket next time I go).

Update!!! Ruby was re-homed the day after our walk xxx




My fabrics arrived from Amazon - the only elastic on sale at the time was for swimming costumes, but I think it will work …. so I am making a little pile of face masks for us all.  I managed two on Thursday. 



So I plan to make more masks, join  a 'leaving drinks' virtual meet up on Zoom with the girls at work this evening (one is leaving to get married and move to Finland) and hopefully, if rain holds off, a bbq with the men.  Working Saturday.  This weekend is Summer Solstice so hope to be up early and out in the garden for sunrise.



More masks to complete


How's your week been going?










9 comments:

  1. Isn't it good to eat your own salad from the garden?! I have salad leaves too and it's so nice to just pick what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly tastes fresh! and there's no waste or sell by dates to worry about :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been busy in the garden this week..
    nothing special really..picked up the
    last few plants from Morrisons..cheap
    and easy, trailing lobelia, eight plants
    for a pound..(£1)..so, three hanging
    baskets, two wicker baskets, and a couple
    of pots..twelve pounds..(£12)..the lot..
    Ten pounds..(£10)..last year..! You can
    keep yer posh expensive nurseries..! :(.
    Always keeping my eye on the Virginia
    Creeper..needs trimming and talking to..
    Love my Virginia Creeper..been with me
    42yrs now..! :).

    My daughter made me a couple of face masks,
    about a month ago, had some plain ones, don't
    do plain, so, she made me a couple of pinky
    ones..to go with the rest of me..! :).
    "Every street is a catwalk"..

    And..the thing l'm happiest with is...
    The footy is back, half a dozen games on
    over the weekend..that's me sorted..!
    Just got a partridge out the deep freeze
    for tomorrows BIG game..! Whey~Hey!
    Simmer down Willie..Simmer down..! :o).

    HeHe! I feel like a saying com'in on...
    "A woman is like a tea bag..You can't tell
    how strong she is, until you put her in
    hot water"..
    Oh! Just thought of another..
    "Friends are like Bras..Close to your heart,
    and always there for support"..

    I'm off for a lemon tea and a dough~nut, and
    l can see Flossie out there waiting for her
    saucer of milk..! Bless!x
    ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love eating things I've grown, it feels so damn good. I had a handful of mangetout pre-breakfast this morning. I don't think any of it will make it into the house to be cooked, it's so delicious eaten from the plant!
    Lovely fabrics for your facemasks. I have two, which my Mum made ad posted to me, I rarely go out so I hope they'll suffice, as my sewing machine is out of action.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Betty! I had James and Noah all week (during the day while their daddy was at work). Their mama is visiting her brother and family in Chicago. I'm tired, but the boys were so good, so fun. We swam a lot at Kelli's.
    I like your pillows! Salad from the garden sounds just right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos Betty. The fabrics you have used in the masks is really lovely. I also love your new cushion covers. There's nothing to beat eating stuff you have grown yourself - I just love it. Have a great week Betty. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been busy!!I love those kilim cushion covers. I have one but it looks a bit odd on its own. It would look good in your conservatory though!!I remember lugging the camcorder around everywhere, recording for posterity. It would take me years to convert them. I even have some Super 8 film from when we had a projector!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the cushion covers and your funky facemasks. The garden is looking gorgeous and I'm very envious as to how much more advanced your cucumbers are than ours! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, love eating things I made! Your masks look really good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.