Thursday, 9 July 2020

New Things

New hair:  On Monday I actually felt excited - first trip to the hairdresser since early September!! my hair had been to India and back, sunbleached and damaged and I had been giving it lots of conditioning treatments at home but it badly needed a good trim.  I had resisted the temptation to do it myself. 

Before - 



and after :             the same but not the same!  It's all in the mind folks :)



 My original appointment had been the week lockdown in the UK began. The salon is open 7 days a week at present to get as many people in as possible without overcrowding and the girls are working 3 days on 3 days off.   I had highlights to blend my grey and my stylist Jess put some in around the hairline so it looks pretty when it's pinned up.  They can only have 4 clients instead of about 12 at a time and everything has to be cleaned down, masks must be worn and there's no drinks or magazines - small luxuries I can do without.  

Chatting (Jess through her face screen and me through my mask) was not too difficult despite my deafness as Jess is quite a loud girl - we had a good laugh and I think that is what a lot of us enjoy at the salon :)




Here I am modelling my new to me skirt, it was very windy.  My skirt is comfy to wear.  Good for denim jacket days.  The scarf to match has not arrived yet.






This is a pressie for hubby:  thought it was time to give him a little treat so bought a selection box of different flavour sausages.   Some of his family live in Durham, UK and work at Geordie Bangers, ... so when they mentioned it on a catch up call and told me how lovely their sausages are, how little fat they have and how popular they are, I  thought the men really should try the products now they have started  doing mail order …. our box was delivered within 24 hours in a chill pack.  

https://www.geordiebangercompany.co.uk/


The bbq might get some use as the weather is due to improve over the next few days and the men do like their bangers.  They don't do a veggie version for me unfortunately.



New nail varnish:  Still wading through my big sale bundle of BarryM nail colours - this week it's
Magic Mermaid Pink Tail.  My nails peel and break and I have spent a fortune over the years on remedies that don't work, keeping them tidy and painted seems to be the best you can do.  My gp could only recommend eating jelly which doesn't help.



New flowers - sweet peas came out in bloom and as the more you cut the more you get,
 I snipped a bunch.


The radish, spring onion and oak lettuce all germinated within 3 days but positioned on top of the shed, the wood pigeon has been able to access and pecked off some tiny green shoots so I will move them (pigeon with onion breath?),  I should stop putting bread out for him, also probably why we have a mouse in the shed who uses a hole in the floor, I surprised him, will have to starve both the mouse and the pigeon out now.


I am feeling slightly cheery today as you might tell by reading between the lines here.  There's so much bad stuff going on in the World right now I have decided to keep life pink and fluffy wherever possible and am not watching the news much.

This is quite a long and rambling post so I will sign off - Thanks for stopping by, have a great weekend and please admire my home cooked cheese and onion flans before you go.....












13 comments:

  1. Your flans make me feel hungry!
    Your skirt looks great , just right with the jacket. my sweet peas are still only in bud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your hair! You suit it longer. Well jel of your new skirt. It looks great with your denim jacket. Flans look very tasty!!You're right about keeping everything light and fluffy, it's imperative to keep an even keel. Have a great weekend Betty.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We sure all could use a perspective that keeps us cheery-or at least helps us fake it. Those flan look pretty amazing-I am admiring them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the hair, it looks fabulous! The skirt is the perfect fit and great with the denim jacket and boots. I can see you wearing that to death all year round.
    Jon loves posh sausages, I've told him about the Geordie Company, him and his friend Tony might go halves on an order, thanks for that.
    Your baking looks delicious and the sweet peas are so pretty.
    I swear by sally Hanson's Hard as Nails, I apply two coats under by Barry M once a week. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look beautiful! I love your hair and your cute new skirt!
    Your cheesy dish looks fantastic! Well done. I BET your husband will delight in those sausages. Don't they look like just the perfect summer meat for BBQ?
    Take care, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hair looks wonderful Betty as does the new skirt. I just really love that colour nail varnish. Its so pretty. Have a great weekend Betty xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those flans do look delicious!
    Your hair looks great, people all over the UK must be walking around with that 'just stepped out the of salon' feeling. I'm yet to make an appointment, but need to do something soon.
    Your skirt looks lovely! You've worn it pretty much how I would style it - boots, black and denim :)
    I'm avoiding the news too, I find it helps my mood and outlook no end.
    Take care
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hair looks absolutely wonderful, and I'm sure it was heaven being able to finally book an appointment. Here in Belgium, salons were able to open already on 18 May, but all were booked up almost immediately, so being able to go on 3 June was such a relief. Love the skirt, and my denim jacket has been doing overtime too. Avoiding the news as much as possible definitely works for me. Too much doom and gloom is triggering anxiety attacks. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The flans look delicious.
    I understand what you mean about avoiding the news and trying to look more towards happier things just now. It definitely helps.
    Your hair looks great. I must confess to attacking mine with the scissors last night. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am pleased to learn that your hair appointment worked out well, but I really feel for the hairdressers who have to go through such a rigmarole between each of their customers.
    I am going in a couple of weeks, like you I was due just before lockdown, but I have actually grown used to my longer length hair.
    Your skirt is my cup of tea - I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Betty! :) I think your hair and your skirt are fabulous!!! I feel like I need some pampering. I've been cutting my hair for a while now by myself (Alex straightens it out because it's always crooked in the back lol)...I'm dreaming of a hot tub...even in this hot humid weather! The sweet peas are beautiful. I love those flowers! I think it's a good idea to keep life pink and fluffy too. I had to get serious the last week but now I feel like just entering a fairy tale for a few weeks lol Your flans look delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your hair and skirt both look really nice! I love the floaty nature of the skirt! So pretty.
    I like hte look of your flans too.
    The sausages look nice. Have you tried The Vegetarian Butcher's Little Willie Sausages? They are the best veggie sausages I have ever tasted. They are on special in the Coop at the moment though I wish they didn't have plastic packaging (I sent a message on their social media about it and plan to send an email too).
    The Woodpigeon is so naughty! I watched as Mrs Blackbird brazenly stole my ripe blueberries from right in front of my eyes! I couldn't believe the audacity of her!
    Good to stay pink and fluffy! I have been feeling gloomy but hoping for good news.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am still not ready to take the chance yet. I do need a sight trim but it will come later. I am too high risk to even chance it yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.