Saturday, 13 June 2020

The Week


The rescue kennels are relaxing lockdown rules for volunteers so I am now able to walk dogs again.  I finished my midweek shifts and on Friday afternoon, despite continuous rain, I was straight over there, more eager than the dogs probably! for a two hour, 8 km walk with the lovely Ruby who is a new arrival, she was a lovely walk, leading the way with enthusiasm and would probably have kept walking forever, not bad for a nine year old.




This week has been rainy and cooler so the only gardening activity was to seed and soil the lawn - I did the other half 10 days ago,  it doesn't seem to be making much progress so am wondering if I should not have put so much soil down.  It is late to be seeding I know, and the birds know too -- despite netting, blackbirds are dining on it.



our lettuce are ready, we have eaten the cucumber and we have tomatos and potatos growing well...








Bought a fit ball and am doing 100 sit ups each weekday morning and some leg curls.  We cleared half the junk in the garage out and will do the other half next week... we are clearing space so we can use our weights and fit ball out there.


I received a card from our vet surgery, it had been signed by the vets and nurses who had cared for Amber in the past months, she had often stayed weekends for rehydration and blood tests so had become popular with quite a few of them.







While I was painting a beautiful blue dragonfly sat on the paper watching....



.




I had my paints out, feeling very rusty.  I like to learn what medicinal uses flowers have so made notes on wild rose and honeysuckle which are both good for colds and flu.







19 comments:

  1. How lovely of the vets to send a card, that really is a kindly service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect it's standard practice but it was comforting nonetheless.

      Delete
  2. I did'nt realise you walked dogs, what
    a good thing to do, they must love it,
    l know, l've walked a few myself, and,
    they'll go on for miles if you let them!

    I finally found some trailing Lobelia
    yesterday, in Morrisons of all places,
    pound for a tray of eight plants, so l
    got a couple.. I love Lobelia..!

    And Yes! Most edible flowers are rich in
    Vitamin C, and each boast a wealth of
    individual benefits that make them a must-add
    to your diet...
    Honeysuckle, Marigolds, Pansies, Nasturtiums,
    Rose, Lavender, Honeysuckle and of course
    Dandelion...Even some indoor plants are o.k.
    to eat..but, always make sure with those..!

    Well..best get on..l'm half way through four
    episodes of 'Bizarre Foods America' with
    Andrew Zimmern..Just had raccoon, moving on
    to frogs legs now..HeHe! Joke there somewhere!
    🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he must be eating roadkill? ref eating flowers my mother used to make us nasturtium leaf sandwiches as kids - horrible, had I known then you could have eaten the flowers, they could have improved greatly!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely card from the vets, they must have been very fond of Amber.
    Your art is gorgeous and so is that photo of a dragonfly, those colours are unreal. Your garden is coming on a treat, that lettuce looks delicious. xxx

    What with your sit-up and walking adorable little Ruby you must be as fit as a fiddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Vix, I do enjoy painting but then I get bored and don't finish it! the dragonfly was there for ages - I can't tell you have much a dog that pulls you along with an excited face helps keep you walking to your target - just hope I don't get a lazy one next week!

      Delete
  4. Our Vets always send a card too Betty - it is such a nice gesture. Have you been tempted to try your hand at painting Ambercat I wonder? I have always loved your paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they probably send everyone a card, but it was a nice way to close our account, she stayed some weekends for treatment and the nurses made such a fuss of her I think she enjoyed it and wasn't afraid of going. I can't paint animals and wouldn't do Amber justice - it would have to be perfection and nothing less you see!

      Delete
  5. Amazing painting. I would say your rusty is darn good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Susan, I might join an online challenge or something to push myself a bit.

      Delete
  6. Love that the vets showed such compassion for Amber. Your garden look so lush and there's nothing as good as freshly picked lettuce in a nice summer salad. Your painting is anything but rusty. Your interpretation of the flowers are spot on. Have a good week, Betty. Enjoy your new 'gym' space!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks Anne, hope you are gaining energy and feeling better x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our vets send those cards too. I appreciate it (through tears).
    Doesn't it feel wonderful to get back to volunteer work.
    Love your garden and am blown away by your painting skills.
    The dragon fly is a beauty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad I can capture a bit of nature on paper it is very calming to be lost in the hobby sometimes. The walking doesn't feel like volunteering - I enjoy it so much, and it gets me out, but the kennels do so much hard work they deserve all the help they can get, I love going there.

      Delete
  9. That's a lovely painting. No wonder the dragonfly stopped by to see it! Thanks for visiting my blog today too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Debra, and hope you have lots of fun with your Pride cyber celebrations.

      Delete
  10. Maybe the blue dragonfly was willing to be your model :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely to be walking the dogs again, I’m sure they appreciate it too! You can see from the photo that Ruby was very happy to be out and about.
    I’m sure a bit of sun on the lawn will bring it along.
    Lovely painting! I had no idea these flowers are good for colds. Isn’t nature marvelous?!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. your new pet sounds wonderful with such enthusiasm for walk dear Betty :) when i start to walk on open ways instead of limited yard area i want it never ending too :)

    Oh your plants are growing so well by the grace of Lord !
    best of luck with exercise plan ,it is always great to work out in open area though our's is so dusty throughout the windy summers

    your painting is always so appealing ,loved these flowers and thank for for nice capture of dragonfly ,gorgeous :)
    How sweet of vet staff to keep Ember in thoughts and send you such lovely card !
    rains are missed by us terribly ,lucky you :)
    more blessings!
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.