Sunday, 7 June 2020

A week in June

The last few days were spent in the garden planting out the tomatoes and moving cucumber and lettuce outside and potting on my chilli and pepper plants (seeds taken from veg in the fridge).



This is my favourite spot for reading, and working.  I have ordered a hanging plant basket to give some interest higher up.  The copper picture frames I ordered have been lost in transit twice, so I have re ordered from another source, just waiting for them.




On our walks we ventured a little  further (6.5 km) and found a man growing and selling his own plants, we carried home some runner beans and planted them up against the fence.  Much needed rain has arrived and the garden smells nice.

We went to the garden centre for pea sticks, lawn dressing and netting, then reseeded half the lawn and laid the dressing and netting down, we will do the other half next week so we have half to walk on.   We put the netting to deter birds in case the lawn feed is not good for them.




Snapdragons are out - bright pinks and yellows - my favourite border plant in Summer.






My &Keep order arrived - I had face masks on the order in time for our older son to start his new job this week, I got myself one too, but they are out of stock for more mens, I must have got the last couple... and hubby plus younger son need some too.  I ordered fabric and elastic online to make some for them, the delivery is likely to be 12 days so will have to be patient. 

I love my tropical mask!   Wearing my holiday clothes has been the best idea, it cheers me to wear pretty, bright colours and now seems silly to keep things in a drawer for a two week holiday!


I've done my shifts for the week and off now until Tuesday.  So plenty of time to get our garage cleared and taken to recycling.  We want to make space for our gym equipment.  Toads live there so we will be careful not to disturb them.



I really regret giving up my allotment a few years ago, this little cucumber is the first veggie success since then and tomatoes are on their way, the oranges are ornamental, but I do have lemons growing, small and green.









On our walks this week we have been passing a  young foal with its mother tucked away in a shady enclosure, we stop to watch him feeding.




Have you been taking daily walks? stopping to see things you might normally drive past unaware of? 










19 comments:

  1. All looking nice and fruitful..
    And nice to nice one of my favourite
    flower..The Passion Flower...a woody
    vine that has unusual blossoms....
    Roman Catholic priests of the lat 1500's
    named it for the Passion (suffering and death)
    of Jesus Christ...The flower's five petals
    and five petal like sepals represented the
    10 apostles who remained faithful to Jesus
    throughout the Passion...Ideal for a Sunday...
    Though truthfully..the Pansy is still my
    most favourite flower of all..closely followed
    by the Orchid..! :0).

    My daughter made me two face masks last month,
    both pinky in colour..what else..even when l'm
    wearing one, people still recognise and speak
    to me..wonder how..? HeHe! As l always say...
    "Every street is a Catwalk"..!

    Have'nt ordered any plants on line, bit weary
    of things like that, had a nasty experience a
    few years ago, ordering by post..Never again..!
    But my daughter gets anything l want, l just
    send her the link..Job done..!
    Yesterday..she's ordered me Lady Ga Ga's new
    CD..Chromatica..so looking forward to getting
    that..BIG Fan..!!!

    Don't do a lot of walking..up and down stairs,
    around the garden, HeHe! Bless! Should do really,
    l live just 200yds from the river Stour, nice walk
    down towards the woods, though l have walked it
    over the years many times...Keeping busy as usual
    though, finally sit down about five, tea, and a
    bit of TV...! Must pop out tomorrow..few bits and
    pieces..run over the back lawn/grass with the Flymo,
    make sure the Virginia Creeper is all up together
    and tidy..l'm no gardener..but l do try, no need
    for me to grow anything, as l'm given loads by
    friends and neighbours..! As there is'nt anything
    l don't eat..l do quite well..! So, the hanging/
    wicker baskets are quite safe..love the flowers!
    🍁🍂🍃🍁🍂🍃🍁🍁🍂🍃🍁🍂🍃🍁🍁🍂🍃🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine you in your pink mask Willie! every street is a catwalk! I like that.

      Delete
  2. Your vegetables are ahead of mine Betty, my cucumber plant is very small yet. Tomatoes are flowering but no fruit yet.
    If you are in a hurry I can send you a mask from my little store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! I will wait, the other two men don't need to go out yet and your stores are precious.

      Delete
  3. I have cucumber envy! Look at that beauty! Your garden is looking fanastic, so much colour and productivity. Liking the idea of adding some interest with the hanging plant.
    Your mask is fantastic, what a great pattern, perfect with your lovely summery wardrobe.
    That foal is gorgeous!
    Enjoy your free time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are supposed to be mini cucumber lol! thanks Vix, the garden is so titchy it's crammed full!

      Delete
  4. Hi Betty :)) Yes, I've been taking walks every morning! Just around this area. We have to be careful of coyotes and we heard tell that bears roam around once in a while too. I have an air horn in case we have an encounter though! I think we might have some snapdragons growing around here too. I saw a nice little flower that has that petal shape. I'll have to see how it progresses! I'm happy to hear you are growing veggies! Let's all hope for a good harvest! :) Your mask is great! I think it's a smart idea to wear bright cheery clothes too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see your garden progress.
    Never mind about the lawn...you can't eat grass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well allegedly you can - Wheatgrass anyway! there was a place in town that was selling wheatgrass juice last Summer - maybe I should grow a wheatgrass lawn.

      Delete
  6. The recent rain here has made everything green and lush but I'm missing my 'freebies' from work so haven't bought anything of note for planting up. My lovely neighbour gave me a couple of butternut squashes, tomato plants and sunflowers so those have kept me going in the meantime. Was meant to have the new baby here for a garden visit on Friday but the weather conspired against us with the heavy rain and wind so not the best conditions for a picnic. Goes without saying how utterly disappointed I was, particularly since the sun shone all day yesterday! Your garden looks really lovely, Betty. I can send you some material if you want it quicker? Let me know. Have a restful couple of days off. You deserve them. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - I think we will be ok I could always use a pillowcase but I am going to wait for the delivery. I sent you some flower seeds - hope they arrive soon x

      Delete
  7. Speaking of masks and the Wuhun Virus or COVID-19 Virus. You may find this *amusing.*

    As of today, Gov. Cuomo of our state, is _allowing_ places of worship, to open, with 25% capacity.

    But the huge protests, are allowed to continue, day and night, on and on.

    Irony???

    Oh and the Governor (who put Covid-19 people into Nursing Homes, after hospital put them out...Thus causing deaths of old nursing home patients) is *requesting* people, who go to protests, to consider themselves having it, around other people. And get tested.

    My head is exploding. Hope it's only my head. As my city expects 700 protests here today, many from Out Of State. What will the night bring?

    -sigh-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it doesn't make sense for anyone to be ignoring distancing, 700 protests is massive. stay safe.

      Delete
  8. Your garden is looking lovely Betty - lots of colour & the snapdragons are one of my all time favourites as they flower for so long & then self seed everywhere. Masks are not compulsory here - when I was out earlier today I hardly saw anyone wearing one compared to a few weeks ago when lots of folk wore them. I love your tropical one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. many people here are not wearing masks, it will be compulsory on public transport next week but I think it's good practice here just now. Yes snapdragons self seeded in my front garden - lovely lemon yellow ones, I didn't expect them :)

      Delete
  9. I love seeing all of your northern climate gardens! So nice when it's grey and cold here and nothing grows!
    I agree, snapdragons are a delightful flower - we had such a lot of fun with them when we were kids, making them talk and snap!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty, so calming. Love the flowers. Seeing that little tomato gave me some twinges of desire to grow my own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such lovely colours in your garden! We’re having a little work done on our patio and I had to dig up my snapdragons which is such a shame, but it does mean I get to plan a new border, so silver linings.
    I’ve been taking evening walks around the garden and fields, I know them pretty well but like to watch them changing. We have barley in the fields closet to the house this year, and I think they’re my favourite crop, at this time of year the green seems to shimmer in the sunlight.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your yard dear Betty i love the way you keep it maintained and beautifully decorated with plants and trees
    what a delight to have such soul filling part in the house :)
    your flowers are DELIGHTFUL and CHERISHING :)
    Oh look at these gorgeous tomatoes :)))
    everything is so cool and gorgeous

    12 days is quite a wait for masks though ,
    BEST OF LUCK to you and your son for his new job my friend :) and heartfelt congratulations !!!

    i loved your reading place so much :)
    since i recovered i could not start regular evening walk a quick one within 20 minutes or half hour sometimes because weather is too hot and i am not out of side effects of illness completely until now ,i hardly walk slowly for 15 minutes
    best of luck for all your gardening and other tasks dear friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.